Itinerant Escape From California

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Escape From California

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:31 pm

I left the pizza joint in Irvine after my appointments with Nathan@el and Lanval and made it as far as Barstow where I camped up a hill.

The lighting inspired me to play with the FS Viewer program on this battleaxe laptop:

The next day was open and sunny and hot as I sort of did some Joshua Tree Monument moments off of roads whose names I cannot recall:

It was hotter than the dickens out there, but I managed to do that carefully timed walk around the bus as cars came and went to keep my state of light dress known only to myself:

... and I did some architectural shots of the bus. This one is like an overheated old Polaroid:

... and this one has no excuse:

Sometimes, fooling around with hue and saturation brings out details of the landscape:

In Arizona, I found a "Private Ranch Road - No Trespassing!" and just off to the side a fresh new power line trail had been hacked into the land, the rocks were still freshly overturned. I took it up the hill past another "No Trespassing!" driveway and reached a peaceful solitude of no tire tracks. The BobD is quite good at this trail stuff.
From Hence I Came:

To Where I Was To Forth:

The Campsite:

Took a walk to the edge of the rocky scene and gingerly climbed over a tipsy rickety barbwire fence. Well look at that. An interstate carving through the hill:

A fantastic sweep of interstate s-curved down the view and out of view then back in view many times smaller. I sat there in the evening light watching the semis go by, the family SUVs go by, the pick-up trucks, the wobbling Winnebagos, the rush of modern Americans in presentable pants wizz by while I sat way up on the palisade with a moon barely coming out of the purple horizon.

Then I walked up the power line trail and found it dropping low and hard right and down and hard left, how on Earth are trucks supposed to do these hills that are making me skid in sneakers? Saw a little bitty homestead:

I let the camera play binoculars:

Dang, this isn't just a power line trail, this is an actual Anti-Social's Ranch Driveway. That ranch had no power leading to it ... it was totally dark down there at 9:00PM when I did a reconnoiter (sic) down the trail again to glory in the moonlight and revel in the beautiful bizarreness of truck clearance lights strafing the horizon over me when I was in a dip, and arcing in a rush below when the trail was over the interstate's elevation.

I had an amusing little wonderment. That ranch with no electricity triggered an ancient cellular alertness in me. They had no disadvantage in the dark. They could see out. The luxury of artificial light must have given us all a sense of vulnerability when we could no longer see out the windows besides which with eyes not acclimated to the dark. Did artificial light make the dark newly scary?

God, what a gorgeous location:

Next morning, I finally fixed the EEC valve on the air filter, yay, I have fuel evaporative system back in business, and I can fix all youse fuel injected buses with the same problem now. I will post a link to Fuel Delivery when I finish the write-up.
[color=#000000]http://itinerant-air-coo ... 52[/color]
ColinInNewMexico
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles