Itinerant Air-Cooled Up Da Hill Down Da Hill

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Up Da Hill Down Da Hill

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 pm

Here's close to a little perfect day.

Woke up just off an antennae access road, birds bickering light breeze blazing high altitude sun and man what a view. Got "dressed" and took a walk down and up this curvy little dirt road with a view of the valley of Banning to my right, the sound of many many many bees in the flowered bushes along the road, and the town of Hemet plus marine layer grey over the Pacific to my left. Just to the right of the tuft of pine in the exact middle of the picture, you can see the lake, Diamond Valley Lake, 30 miles by car:

... and a little telephoto action of the same shot, with a little more emphasis on that Pacific grey mist under the smoggy grey stripe:

Went up the hill at the main road where a Christian Day Camp Fellowship In Christ I'm With Jesus group of kids was dispiritedly trudging up the hill in their identical shirts with a counselor of sorts trying to infect the slowpoke at the end with a little more of that spirit thing. Pulled off at an overlook to see what I was overlooking, and the podium plaque said Diamond Valley Lake, and a gregarious ex-bicyle racer with a cane said, "that's Mount Palomar Obervatory, 84 miles by car." That was the 200" mirror observatory of my astronomical imagination in my childhood:

But I had -places to go and people to see. You may remember this shot in February of 2008:

I preferred today's weather:

Today was my day to pay a visit to our inveterate one-and-only Arctic Circle traveller, Barb and her trusty steed Elwood.

Today's travel was more pedestrian than a jaunt to the 66th parallel, it was a tourist sight-seeing trip to the dump. A dump with a view, too. And a joy it was to drive another Type 1 bus in no hurry, but think of where it's been. That modest little engine back there sounded fine. Elwood said, "replace my front right wheel bearing." So we did, in that glorious high altitude sun. Then I did a sight-seeing trip to her bathroom to see the new toilet.
"Very nice," I said.
"It's low-flow" she said.
"Very nice," I said.
"I love having hot and cold running water again," she said.
"... you fancy indoor plumbing types," I said.

Now I got off a shot of her, no problem, but she was getting fooled by my camera's penchant to make important sounding but useless noises. I showed her how it makes noises and finally takes the picture.
"You have a lot of pictures of the ground now," she said.
"And I shall post the very finest of the lot," I said.

So she took a picture of me:

.... that reminded me of another picture, so I combined them
2003 on the left/2011 on the right. Notice how enormous I have grown lately:

We said ciao for now and I drove down the hill back into the heat, but a lovely serpentine BobDsled run it was:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Up Da Hill Down Da Hill

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 am

Thanks for the nice post Colin
Very pretty area, enjoy it.
I was going to say the same thing, you are getting taller.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:07 am

the nose mounted spare gives a false impression of a waist mounted spare :geek:

beautiful pictures. I love the terrain in higher elevation California hills.
1979 California Transporter

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:15 am

I love the shots, it sure looks nice there, makes you want to visit Barb and sit a spell. And the Squareback in the snow, the IAC making calls in snow, what an idea.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:43 pm

It was once again a treat to have Colin drive Elwoo d. No one gets to do that!
I have not driven off the hill in over 8 months and have been smelling what I suspected to be a clutch or break problem on my trips to -yes the scenic dump- about 3 miles from my cabin, so it seemed to be the route to go for Colin to diagnose. To my chagrin he pointed out that my heater levers were in the on position, something I, and many other Cal drivers do to keep the engine cooler. He explained the "Why" that is not necessary and the smell must be coming from the hot HE's . so yay :cheers: no clutch or brake problem. We did hear the howling of the wheel bearing, been there awhile and I thought it was the tires. :geek:
He just happened to have the right one in the BobD and made quick repair along with doing a McGiver repair on my broken windshield wiper.

So i now feel confident to take my first trip to Neurosurgeon by myself on the 16th. Must get these awfull meds changed so El and I can do more road trips.

Colin you know how much I love ya and what you do to help so many. Major Karma Dude :flower: (native California gal talk)

And Sylvester, you can come and sit a spell on my new toilet anytime, not much of a view from there, but tons all around my area.

Love,

Barb/Elwood
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:39 am

Elwood wrote:
And Sylvester, you can come and sit a spell on my new toilet anytime, not much of a view from there, but tons all around my area.
Love,
Barb/Elwood
Now that's some real SouthernCal hospitality right there ...
Colin

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Indeed that is down right hospitable! Thanks for the invite Barb, when me and my boy make our Bus trip to San Fransico next year, I will make it a point to come visit you, and sit on that Eco-friendly commode! (and just visit too!)
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi Barb, I haven't kept up with this website lately, but I'm glad your bus got some TLC this week.
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Birdibus wrote:Hi Barb, I haven't kept up with this website lately, but I'm glad your bus got some TLC this week.
Social call when I come through in October?
Colin

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks Birdi and hope yours are running well also. I think about you every time I pay .50 cents ea. for a lemon up here. How does your garden grow? keep us posted, your missed!

Colin, clarifacation needed on bearings please. When you did the CSI in gasoline for metal specks. Did both have signs? The larger German one looks good but the smaller Japan one is a throw-away, just because. And ---- because three countries are represented here im confused as how to replace the ones you put on. The box says "Made in Mexico" and were they part of your stash for the Duck? or do the fit for the BobD also?

Let me know what you expect for the exchange.

FYI I cannot tolerate the sun like our Native American (mostly) leader, so I did very little hands-on that day. I keep a log for El that goes back over 20 yrs. so it is important to have
the right part/country listed.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:35 pm

Elwood wrote:Thanks Birdi and hope yours are running well also. I think about you every time I pay .50 cents ea. for a lemon up here. How does your garden grow? keep us posted, your missed!

Colin, clarifacation needed on bearings please.
I will ask vwlover77 for clarification. Jtauxe did some bearing hunting for me just today and could only find Chinese crapola in Albuquerque. I hope we have a source that can supply TRW/FAG/SKF or Timken. Available at AutoZone, I've been told. I'll get the bearings, and just hit you up next time. :pirate:

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Birdibus wrote:Hi Barb, I haven't kept up with this website lately, but I'm glad your bus got some TLC this week.
Social call when I come through in October?
Colin
Yes, that would be nice.

Yeah Barb, we have too many lemons here. I drive my bus almost every day, but I don't go very far.
71 bus, 74 westy