My time

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwtopia
I'm New!

My time

Post by vwtopia » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:13 am

What a Saturday! This being my first time with Colin I was not sure what to expected but I can say it was better than I expected. I have a new confidence on the VW's we managed to get to and in myself. Below is a photo of "The Herd" as it waited to be worked on. I thought I'd be taking a bunch of pictures during the day but once I got wrapped up into working on the vans the pictures didn't happen.
We started with the Red, White and Blue van. Last year the engine went out in it and I had installed an engine I bought many years ago that was to suppose to have been just rebuilt. It was running hot and popping through the dual Webers. Took the valve covers off to find the pushrod tube retaining wires improperly installed and the driver's side valve cover and push rod tubes covered with RTV sealent. Fixed the wires, adjusted the the valves, did a compression test and found a weak #4, adjusted and synced up the carbs. Took it for a test drive and it was awesome. It will even be better once I replace the Drag Link.
Next was the Brown van. I thought I only had a timing issue with this one. Well Colin is very thorough so we found several leaks in the FI system, fixed a couple but have parts on order to fix others. Test drove it and am pleased but can't wait to fix the leaks.
Time was running out and we hadn't gotten to my wife's Green Westy and I knew it needed the most work. Here again I had picked up an engine that was supposed to have been rebuilt. I had done a compression test before I have installed it and all were close to each other. (Don't think I told you that Colin) We bought this van several years ago with a bad engine and my wife is patiently waiting for it to be on the road. When I had it running last year it was running pretty bad and backfiring alot. Colin's knowledge of the FI system is amazing. It's got leaks also but by the time he was dione is was running pretty good. The list of things this vans needs is long but we'll get there.
Didn't have time to get to the Blue van but fortunately is it running pretty good and needs the less amount of work. I ordered most of the parts I need and have the list of things I need to do. Poptop Tom stopped by to a quick visit, it was nice to see you again Tom and your Westy. All in all a great day and my wife even mentioned about doing this again next year :cheers:

yondermtn
Old School!

Re: My time

Post by yondermtn » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:05 pm

nice herd =D>
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:12 pm

too many busses to get to - that's a nice problem to have.

cool fleet, and nice writeup.

I hear ya on the picture thing. Before I ever did a session I always thought id take a bunch of pics and have fun stories to go along with them, but ive always gotten so into the zone that I never wanted to step away from what were doing long enough to mess with pictures.

this year ive got too many things planned, once again, to actually get to them all. pictures will be a second thought once the ball starts rolling...
1979 California Transporter

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:48 pm

Nice garage, too. Nice and tall...could put a lift in there.

...sigh... :blackeye:

So yeah, I have had Colin out a number of times and although I'm not a terrible mechanic, I get better each time somehow. I always learn stuff and that is priceless.

Thanks for posting.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:05 am

It was great to see you, Kevin! Glad Colin was a big help! You guys had plenty to do with your big 'ol stash of VDubs!!

airkooledchris wrote:too many busses to get to - that's a nice problem to have.

cool fleet, and nice writeup.

I hear ya on the picture thing. Before I ever did a session I always thought id take a bunch of pics and have fun stories to go along with them, but ive always gotten so into the zone that I never wanted to step away from what were doing long enough to mess with pictures.

this year ive got too many things planned, once again, to actually get to them all. pictures will be a second thought once the ball starts rolling...
Is that not the truth! I had my camera all charged and ready. Never took a picture all day!! haha

Nice garage, too. Nice and tall...could put a lift in there.
Thats his small garage.........!!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

vwtopia
I'm New!

Post by vwtopia » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:53 am

There is a room above the garage so a lift is out of the question.

My other garage/barn isn't much bigger. If you'd like to read about the construction of it (hard to believe I built it 9 years ago) then go to http://www.vwtopia.com/barn.htm

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:53 am

I read your site, man what a task. When I built a 16x20 work-shed years ago in Alabama, I thought that was something.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.