Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Atlanta . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Atlanta . . .

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Ai yi, yi. Let me extract my foot from mouth.

Ayep, a knee-jerk drunken reaction based more on my experience than anything else. Overly simplified and missing nuance. I do enjoy your musings Colin. Generally they resonate true for me. In this case I was focused on purely the love of a primary relationship, assuming unrequited love, which isn't true love in my book. I had just watched The Princess Bride that evening.

Too many people mope around "in love" with someone who doesn't love them, in angst, striving to make them love them. That is a dead end-road. True love is unconditional. I missed the broader application of the definition in my rush to provide "tough love". Conditional love isn't true. A person can never change another despite all efforts. Love is a gift that must be offered with no expectations, whether friend, family, partner. The only person who can change someone is themselves, and a person can't love another without loving themselves first.

I was assuming you were grieving in unrequited love. I do learn, I do take responsibility for my gaffes, I do apologize. We all be human, warts, drunken outbursts and all. Please don't stop sharing. Love is all we have.

:pale: neal
The slipper has no teeth.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:53 am

ruckman101 wrote:... I do enjoy your musings Colin. ...Please don't stop sharing.
:pale: neal
Exactly. Most of us do. In fact, that's the reason I personally beat on him at every opportunity.

If enough of us do so, he'll eventually write that book.

As for the comments about life passing by too quickly: Read my lips: It gets worse.

It never slows down, it relentlessly, irrevocably accelerates.

As far as I can see (and that's not very far) the only way to mitigate the acceleration is to do what the Buddhists seem to be saying: Pay attention.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:02 am

glasseye wrote: As for the comments about life passing by too quickly: Read my lips: It gets worse.

It never slows down, it relentlessly, irrevocably accelerates.

As far as I can see (and that's not very far) the only way to mitigate the acceleration is to do what the Buddhists seem to be saying: Pay attention.
I have paid and paid and paid attention and all I got was this warning notice??
"Please pay promptly"
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:20 am

In SoCal, over a McD coffee and a hash browns with light rain outside, a nice morning chortle. I offer my transcontinental thanks. :cheers:

I still wanna put "Driver Carries No Cash" on Frito's door. :salute:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 am

Will your travels put you at Portland's door? "We" would like to see you.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Dunno my routing yet, but I won't be able to dawdle in PDX. I'll be packing my new printer (which severely constrains operations space-wise) and I'll be hell-bent for home by then. Gardening duties are piling up. :salute:

Sorry. I still need to do a Lucky Lab with yall. Just not this run. :pale:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Antisocial bastard.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:28 am

hambone wrote:Antisocial bastard.
Haw naw, you cain't tell Anti-Social Bastard from Belle Of The Ball, Miss Where's The Party Hambone.
:flower:

gorge runner
Getting Hooked!

Post by gorge runner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Amskeptic wrote:. I tripped past my one and only childhood, tripped past people I dearly wanted to love more fully, tripped past the great vitality and reflexes of young adulthood, slid through an incomplete education and tumbled down through my 30's and 40's in some blur of imbalanced effort to right myself and do right by others.
A couple weeks ago, just below my place on the street I watched a junkie kid shooting up in his car. Spoon, lighter, syringe, necktie, a couple smokes, some Reeses, a phone call or two and a flurry of text messages later, he went on his way. A functional junkie I thought, maybe getting prepared for a long afternoon collecting shopping carts at Target. Can hardly blame him. He comes to the mid-day milquetoast suburbs of Vancouver to shoot up. Maybe he grew up nearby or in a similar environment -- he was comfortable here. At that time I had no real feelings one way or the other. But, if and when he gets to our age, he'll have his fifties to wonder what went wrong, who might be to blame, if the future is a place to hide from the past.

What you're describing are the thoughts anyone would have alone, in the isolation of tranquility. We spend adulthood striving for love, success and accomplishment and a bunch of other bullshit, only to realize that its a mirage. Someone, can't remember who, said thought is the enemy of action. You know, Hamlet Syndrome. In the same vain, then retrospect is the enemy of possibility. Maybe, that's part of what Neil was addressing?

In short, you'll find yourself in good company. So far, the only purpose my fifties has served is to tediously loop shoulda, woulda, coulda in my mind. Wait, maybe that's unfair to aging, perhaps that's just the forty days of rain speaking.

Marc
91 Vanagon Carat
It's not "air-cooled", but it does have an air compressor. Does that count?

http://www.nextrevcreative.com

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:22 am

gorge runner wrote:What you're describing are the thoughts anyone would have alone, in the isolation of tranquility. We spend adulthood striving for love, success and accomplishment and a bunch of other bullshit, only to realize that its a mirage. Someone, can't remember who, said thought is the enemy of action. You know, Hamlet Syndrome. In the same vain, then retrospect is the enemy of possibility. Maybe, that's part of what Neil was addressing?

In short, you'll find yourself in good company. So far, the only purpose my fifties has served is to tediously loop shoulda, woulda, coulda in my mind. Wait, maybe that's unfair to aging, perhaps that's just the forty days of rain speaking.

Marc
I think when and if you reach your forties is when this starts happening. There is a lot I wish I had done differently, and I do have regrets. By now I should be a millionaire because I pursued my dreams and those dreams made myself and others I loved wealthy (Not a corporate bastard, but a responsible one). I should have traveled the world many times, I should have helped more people along the way and left no one behind.

However, we can change if we think we have led the life where we can do better. Or change, it can be done. We learn along the way and use it, or we don't and become insufferable idiots whom no one wants to be near, including our children.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:34 am

Sylvester wrote:
gorge runner wrote:What you're describing are the thoughts anyone would have alone, in the isolation of tranquility. We spend adulthood striving for love, success and accomplishment and a bunch of other bullshit, only to realize that its a mirage. Someone, can't remember who, said thought is the enemy of action. You know, Hamlet Syndrome. In the same vain, then retrospect is the enemy of possibility. Maybe, that's part of what Neil was addressing?

Marc
I think when and if you reach your forties is when this starts happening. There is a lot I wish I had done differently, and I do have regrets. By now I should be a millionaire because I pursued my dreams and those dreams made myself and others I loved wealthy (Not a corporate bastard, but a responsible one). I should have traveled the world many times, I should have helped more people along the way and left no one behind.

However, we can change if we think we have led the life where we can do better. Or change, it can be done. We learn along the way and use it, or we don't and become insufferable idiots whom no one wants to be near, including our children.
I have to agree with you two as I looked at myself in my early forties and said "time to change" and walked out of a bad marriage and started a new path. 16 years later its been mostly a grand adventure with untold riches in life experiences including getting married last year. After living/working aboard for a year I have a new perspective on "american" values and find the whole Dem/GOP clashes stupid and destructive. The only winners in this are the "rich" while everyone else is fighting over the crumbs... :pukeright:
I am back in Seattle for two months before heading back to my little tropical paradise of a country to start a new company/venture. Colin, I wish you were in this area so we could drink a beer or two while musing over life at the Lucky Lab. Well, the door is open if you dare to venture south really really far south.......and the beer is ice cold and the food is unreal as are the women. Next time I spend some time in the Amazon jungle I have to take some night sky pics as the stars at the equator are really beautiful and you don't need a flashlite to walk around its soo bright out on a clear night. Definitely gives me a new perspective when I see this, feeling small but part of some grand plan I don't understand but I am enjoying to hell out of the ride.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:46 am

gorge runner wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:. I tripped past my one and only childhood, tripped past people I dearly wanted to love more fully, tripped past the great vitality and reflexes of young adulthood, slid through an incomplete education and tumbled down through my 30's and 40's in some blur of imbalanced effort to right myself and do right by others.
I watched a junkie kid shooting up in his car, he'll have his fifties to wonder what went wrong, who might be to blame, if the future is a place to hide from the past.

What you're describing are the thoughts anyone would have alone, in the isolation of tranquility. Someone, can't remember who, said thought is the enemy of action. You know, Hamlet Syndrome. In the same vein, then retrospect is the enemy of possibility. Maybe, that's part of what Neal was addressing?
Marc
I am less Hamlet and more Socrates, "the unexamined life is not worth living."
I do not know how that post managed to communicate self-pity to Neal, or imploded inaction to you.

A hale and hearty senior citizen who booms, "Me? I feel GREAT! It's because I invested 40% in stocks and 60% in bonds, and I EXERCISE!" might be the sort of Action Ken Doll who never questions or ponders that this whole audacious Universe-thing actually exists, but I guess I did when I actively actioned my ass to relinquish the rat race to get under the stars scarily free of security.

When I read your "retrospect is the enemy of possibility", I have to ask, what did you read? Did you read "wuddashuddacudda" regret? I wrote that I was surprised to find that there were nobody's shoes I'd rather step in with the detours accounted for, and possibly even because of those detours.

My only wouddacuddashudda regret is letting that gorgeous 69,000 mile Vanagon get away last winter.
ColinThinkingInAction

gorge runner
Getting Hooked!

Post by gorge runner » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:25 am

Amskeptic wrote:
gorge runner wrote:
I watched a junkie kid shooting up in his car, he'll have his fifties to wonder what went wrong, who might be to blame, if the future is a place to hide from the past.

What you're describing are the thoughts anyone would have alone, in the isolation of tranquility. Someone, can't remember who, said thought is the enemy of action. You know, Hamlet Syndrome. In the same vein, then retrospect is the enemy of possibility. Maybe, that's part of what Neal was addressing?
Marc
I am less Hamlet and more Socrates, "the unexamined life is not worth living."
I do not know how that post managed to communicate self-pity to Neal, or imploded inaction to you.

A hale and hearty senior citizen who booms, "Me? I feel GREAT! It's because I invested 40% in stocks and 60% in bonds, and I EXERCISE!" might be the sort of Action Ken Doll who never questions or ponders that this whole audacious Universe-thing actually exists, but I guess I did when I actively actioned my ass to relinquish the rat race to get under the stars scarily free of security.

When I read your "retrospect is the enemy of possibility", I have to ask, what did you read? Did you read "wuddashuddacudda" regret? I wrote that I was surprised to find that there were nobody's shoes I'd rather step in with the detours accounted for, and possibly even because of those detours.

My only wouddacuddashudda regret is letting that gorgeous 69,000 mile Vanagon get away last winter.
ColinThinkingInAction

The quote from your original post resonated with me -- that's all. Clearly retrospective in substance, but I wasn't implying that you wearing the cement shoes of over analysis. I have a well-worn pair of those shoes.

Marc
91 Vanagon Carat
It's not "air-cooled", but it does have an air compressor. Does that count?

http://www.nextrevcreative.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:10 pm

gorge runner wrote: I wasn't implying that you wearing the cement shoes of over analysis. I have a well-worn pair of those shoes.
Marc
I do not believe I believe that you are in your 50's. I guessed lower 40's. Ya pup.

My antidote to wuddacuddashudda in the big questions department is to actually seriously ask if I might like to go home as that person over there, yeah that one, you have to wear their socks too. . . and sleep with their mate.
What it does for me (YMMV) is to refocus that All Of It, all of the detours and successes and missed dreams and unexpected grace too, has made me more of a person today than any answered prayers ever could have. This is mysterious, but I am learning to go with it.
Colin

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:01 am

Amskeptic wrote:...all of the detours and successes and missed dreams and unexpected grace too, has made me more of a person today than any answered prayers ever could have. This is mysterious, but I am learning to go with it.
Colin
Those may be the answers to your prayers.