2011 Itinerary 12/15

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: 2011 Itinerary 06/05/11

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Looks like Colin is now heading towards Indiana, my home state. I have to ask, why are there so few write ups by customers this year? I seem to have the most detailed post out there. There is a lot of people that have been visited, but not a lot of info as to what Colin has done. I like to read the exploits of our fearless Itinerant on the road, and especially the ordinary Joes like me whom have a unique story for each of the vehicles we have. Come on, lets share the stories! Don't be shy!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:51 pm

Sylvester wrote:Looks like Colin is now heading towards Indiana, my home state. I have to ask, why are there so few write ups by customers this year? I seem to have the most detailed post out there. There is a lot of people that have been visited, but not a lot of info as to what Colin has done. I like to read the exploits of our fearless Itinerant on the road, and especially the ordinary Joes like me whom have a unique story for each of the vehicles we have. Come on, lets share the stories! Don't be shy!
Last year I jumped the gun and posted right away. I wasn't sure if I should give some ample time for an "Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings from Vermont" this year. I will post a recap of his visit soon.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:35 pm

*Finally looks closely at the Itinerary*

Colin won't make to this year's RendezVW!

The Tragedy! ... Will miss ya man! Looking forward to seeing you at the Lab! :)

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:03 pm

I noticed that too. But then it's a good thing, in this case, that he can't get away from the job. Either that or he's tired of Oregon's June weather. It is usually much warmer in July.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:56 am

Colin passed through the Cleveland, Ohio area on Friday. See new thread in the 2011 Itinerary forum.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:18 am

Sylvester wrote:Looks like Colin is now heading towards Indiana, my home state. I have to ask, why are there so few write ups by customers this year? I seem to have the most detailed post out there.
Hoosier state is next! If Colin can swing by Bloomington on his way north after the Bartoli visit, I shall give you a write up, kind sir.

I don't have anything planned except a visit to the farm and maybe a cold beer.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:02 pm

VWBusrepairman wrote:
Sylvester wrote:Looks like Colin is now heading towards Indiana, my home state. I have to ask, why are there so few write ups by customers this year? I seem to have the most detailed post out there.
Hoosier state is next! If Colin can swing by Bloomington on his way north after the Bartoli visit, I shall give you a write up, kind sir.

It shall come to pass. A visit to the farm, a quick engine drop and a reset of the end play again with *your* spare 0.38 endplay shim would be peachy.
Colin :salute:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:21 am

Amskeptic wrote:
VWBusrepairman wrote:

It shall come to pass. A visit to the farm, a quick engine drop and a reset of the end play again with *your* spare 0.38 endplay shim would be peachy.
Maybe you can grab the money I wasted on a bunk engine build back for me! :thumbright:
Nevermind actually. I'll chalk that up to live and learn. Do it yourself. And dont pay someone for services
until you know the work done was done correctly. :scratch:
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:56 am

poptop tom wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
VWBusrepairman wrote:

Maybe you can grab the money I wasted on a bunk engine build back for me! :thumbright:
Nevermind actually. I'll chalk that up to live and learn. Do it yourself. And dont pay someone for services
until you know the work done was done correctly. :scratch:
Feel free to send me a PM, Tom- if you'd like to discuss further.

I will look for shims this afternoon and have contacted the local shop to see if they have any of that size as well.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:19 am

poptop tom wrote: live and learn. Do it yourself.
Bingo! What do we have for our lucky winner, Bob?

We have a BRAND NEW CHINESE SINTERED CRANKSHAFT MADE OUT OF "ALMOST METAL"!! Yes, for our lucky winner only the best maybe suitable crankshaft that may or may not break in half if it doesn't score the bearings into grey paste, our "Almost Metal" crankshaft is likely to be out of balance with incorrectly radiused journals but it looks good!!

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:52 pm

Oh now, Colin you know it wouldn't grind up the bearings as it would not line up with any of them in the first place.

Anyone care to contribute to my charity drive, Measuring Instruments for China?

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Colin has came and left, now on his was to Crawfordsville via 231.

His Bob D. was nothing less than an excellent example of late bay bus. It was very impressive indeed and inspires me to continue repairing mine as needed. The Bob D still has the new car smell- I kid you not.

Photos when I re-learn how to post 'em.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:20 pm

VWBusrepairman wrote:Colin has came and left, now on his was to Crawfordsville via 231.

His Bob D. was nothing less than an excellent example of late bay bus. It was very impressive indeed and inspires me to continue repairing mine as needed. The Bob D still has the new car smell- I kid you not.

Photos when I re-learn how to post 'em.
New car smell? Serious? I bet he doesn't smoke in it then.

Photobucket works good for photos. Just copy the image code below your uploaded picture there, and paste the code here in your post.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:52 am

Hippie wrote: New car smell? Serious?
After pretty much living in it for the past fifteen months, my stinkfoot hippy sweat/GumOut-pickled/Diet Coke phenalalinine/nicotine/corn starch powder reek just happens to end up smelling like a new Volkswagen, whoowuddathunk?
Colin :drunken:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: 2011 Itinerary 06/09/11

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:51 am

I am not surprised. Another example of intelligent design meeting coincidence.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat