Made It Home By Thanksgiving

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Made It Home By Thanksgiving

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:18 pm

dtrumbo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Crisp turn indicator action!
Form fitting seats!
Does the TBRRD turn signal stalk seem "mushy", especially compared to the BobD? I've replaced the one in my wife's '70 and it's only marginally better than the one it came with. Is that just how they are?
Hi Dick!

Turn signal action is pretty bad. In keeping with the now-fact that Everything Is Wrong with this car, the steering wheel was put on 180* off, so the cancel tab is trying to cancel as I am trying to actuate. The cancel tab is supposed to be *across* from the switch.

Meanwhile, all the beltwork trim was taken off today to stop the growing rust stains that were leaching down.
I rubbed out the rust stains ....... :

......... touched up the nicks and chips, waxed the beltline thoroughly, and removed the sideview mirrors to primer and seal to stop the galloping rust occurring where the mirrors are supposed to be sealed (hello?) against the door so water can't get in and rust the captive nuts from the inside out, not to mention rust stains leaching down the beltline and mirror arm.:

......... sanded and rust-catalyzer primered every lousy last clip and screw so I will NOT get rust stains leaching down, because that is what you *have to do* if you do not want rust stains leaching down:

........ and cleaned out the mouldings of perfectly preserved springtime pollen and what looked like eons of Portland vegetation debris from the bottoms of the mouldings because they MUST be able to drain if they are not to rust out the rusty clips and screws, causing rust stains to leach down:

........ then re-curved the corner trims because yes, they get bent up if you do not straighten out the lips that the clips will cave in if the lips are not straightened prior to bashing the mouldings on so violently that you cave in the lips and wreck the curve:

Hey Chris, how' bout those big honking Bravo Axxis mudders now on the car?

The junky black crayon Jupiters had to go before they hydroplaned me straight off the planet. I was so afraid of these monsters ripping up the steering box, that I cancelled an appointment with Discount Tire in Garland Texas. But today here in Atlanta, fresh off an estimate of $613.00 for four BF Goodrich ATV tires, I told the steering box, "Deal With It, We're Using Chris's Tires."
The steering is actually quite good, the speedometer is now exact, and though they are pretty monstrous, I foresee some excellent off-road trail adventures .... :shaking2:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Amskeptic wrote:... the steering wheel was put on 180* off, so the cancel tab is trying to cancel as I am trying to actuate. The cancel tab is supposed to be *across* from the switch.
Ummm... hold that thought while I slink out to the garage and confirm my fear that my wife's steering wheel is on backwards as well. With the wheel straight, actuating the turn signal usually results in it turning right back off. If the wheel is turned either way the turn signal stays on. O.k. out to the garage. Here I go. BRB.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Yep, it's on backwards. Of course the largest socket I have is 26mm and the steering wheel nut appears to be 27mm. Oh well, I was looking for an excuse to go to Harbor Freight with my Sunday paper 20% coupon.

Thank you Colin for again helping me find my problem.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:02 pm

dtrumbo wrote:Yep, it's on backwards. Of course the largest socket I have is 26mm and the steering wheel nut appears to be 27mm. Oh well, I was looking for an excuse to go to Harbor Freight with my Sunday paper 20% coupon.

Thank you Colin for again helping me find my problem.
Thank Mike. I would have never known the symptoms of putting a steering wheel on backwards otherwise ..... :flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles