TBRRD Slowtails To Atlanta ...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

TBRRD Slowtails To Atlanta ...

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:27 am

Last visit in SoCal is done, no better send-off than to bid adieu to Elwood, decline a generous offer to disassemble the engine all over the yard + kitchen sink privileges, hit up the local Mexican restaurant and drink Dos XX's.
"You might want to hold off your departure, there's a wind warning for the area."
"Naah thanks anyways..."

At Sundown At 5,000 Feet:

At Dusk At 4,000 Feet:

At Dark Overlooking Banning CA:

Looks like a levitating ping-pong table:

Notice how a simple camera flash can point out all of the paint-mix experiments:

Mid-Descent To Banning:

Good grief. The wind was a hurricane along the Saltan Sea, blasting sand and silt and moonlight across the water to my right for almost 25 miles ... the Dakota Digital Doomsday Gauge displayed dire demonstrations of impending destruction, delivering flashing remonstrations to have accepted Elwood's invitation "440* ! 440* ! 440*!" as the sand peppered the left side of the TBRRD, just like the BobD got it in El Paso. Heck, stupid old planet.

I am in El Centro. Shortly, I shall go out into the Santa Ana winds once more to make an impression of a fan blade with a piece of aluminum tape. I shall measure the impression of said blade, and woe to me if that fan blade measures in at less than 35mm. That is my last guess, folks.
ColinWindyWhiner

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Re: TBRRD Slowtails To Atlanta ...

Post by Elwood » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:35 am

Offer still stands if needed, plus there is now very hot water available in sink and shower! Mucho thanks for help !
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:06 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Image
That is a pretty bus though... Good luck.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Have you not tended to the carb yet?
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:38 am

The beetle I used to own never looked the same after being sandblasted in the general area where you were just scoured. The wind can get crazy out there. If you had driven through in daylight you would have seen deserted houses and businesses along the shore, more victims of the wind and blowing sand.

It was windy here today too. Our little heat wave is ending and I'm beginning to feel a chill from the north.
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:59 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:Have you not tended to the carb yet?
Lawdy Lawdy, the things I've done.
Re-jetted the carb from 112 to 117. Cleaned out the power circuit. Raised the float level 2mm. Backed out the pilot jet to *dump* gas in the throat. No Difference. 438* at 55 mph into a headwind.

Replaced the carb with a Brosol loaner from Elwood. It has a 120 main jet, a 100 power circuit (vs the 95 in the German Solex). Retarded the timing 7* then advanced it 14*. No Difference (save for slightly lower temps with the retarded timing that got the apron all hot).

Fan is a 35mm doghouse fan. I will pull the engine tomorrow and rip off that fan shroud, and look for all correct vane placements, will bend the flap vanes for more cylinder head air, will clean and clean ...
Colin I Never Thought I'd Say I'm Too Hot

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Elwood wrote:Offer still stands if needed, plus there is now very hot water available in sink and shower! Mucho thanks for help !
I'll let you know ... I seriously do not like these valves.
ColinDangItToHeckity

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:31 am

Where the hack are you doing all this? Another abandoned industrial complex in El Centro CA?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:13 am

Just out of curiosity, how much compression do you have? Have you tried higher octane fuel just as a test?
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:06 am

sped372 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how much compression do you have? Have you tried higher octane fuel just as a test?
115/125/125/120 High octane does not have any bearing on the generation of cylinder head temps that would *like* high octane to calm the detonation brought about by overheating, chicken-eggy thing here, I DEMAND TO HAVE A TRUE VOLKSWAGEN that runs on horsepiss and kerosene all day floored and happy.
Colin :angryfire:

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:14 am

Amskeptic wrote:High octane does not have any bearing on the generation of cylinder head temps...
True, but wouldn't it have an effect if your CR had been too high? Helping to reduce detonation due to higher-than-normal compression? Obviously none of this is relevant to your issue based on your numbers.

Have you felt/heard any detonation? Or is it just the CHT and valve clearances that are alerting you? Just curious for my own sake.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:30 am

sped372 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:High octane does not have any bearing on the generation of cylinder head temps...
True, but wouldn't it have an effect if your CR had been too high? Helping to reduce detonation due to higher-than-normal compression?
Operative here would have been "higher than normal compression" and I would have the heads off with sealing rings installed by tonight.

sped372 wrote: Have you felt/heard any detonation? Or is it just the CHT and valve clearances that are alerting you? Just curious for my own sake.
Running splendidly ... smooth, decent enough power for a 1600, dipstick is never more than slightly bity, oil smells great and is almost translucently clean, heads are shiny wet, no caramel oil burn anywhere, but why oh why are my exhaust valve adjusters sticking out so far now??? Why? Original VW heads, I want them to be happy.
Colin

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:02 am

If its any consolation, the reason I put the dual carbs on my bus was I couldn't get it to run cool with a stock single carb either......Plus I wanted the increased power.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:29 pm

You all know more about this than myself, but just to throw some data at the situation - maybe the gauge isn't giving an accurate reading currently.

If it hadn't already been done, the first thing I would do is remove the reinstall the sender. Check the plug to be sure it doesn't look like gas has been sneaking out around the sender and giving it falsely high readings. If that all looks good Id maybe even install the sender under another plug, to just compare the readings and see if everyone agrees that it's really that hot.
1979 California Transporter

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:38 pm

I'd easily distrust a gauge. Valve clearances don't lie, though.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX