IAC Greetings From Irvine Part III

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:15 am

OK,

Well, let's wrap up the great Colin Test 'O Rama. Basically, my experience with Colin has been a series of challenges in which he achieves the near-impossible; I then up the ante and test him again. In every case I firmly believe it won't work. In every case we run into significant issues right at the end. In every case Colin somehow perseveres and brings order out of chaos.

It helps that the yellow mouse wanted to live. Some cars fight you the whole way ~ others help you along. This one did more of the latter.

Once we got everything (well, almost everything) together, it was time to put in the coolant and oil.

The oil went in fine, but with the coolant, there was a problem. See, there's a block-off plate on the driver's side head. Fortunately, I hadn't returned the old heads yet, and some PB Blaster and kind words enabled Colin to remove and install the block off plate.

Coolant, round 2. This time, it's leaking from the crossover pipe where it enters into the thermostat housing. This isn't a surprise, since the business end of the pipe is beat up, and rusted away at the edges. Colin uses a file and some sockets to round out the pipe and build up the edge to get a better seal for the pipe. It doesn't work. This is a problem, since this is a show stopper, and tomorrow is Thanksgiving.

I invited Colin to stay, but he wasn't having any. I found that we could get a replacement on Friday from a local VW yard, but that doesn't help us now. So I tell Colin we should try doubling up the O-ring... he turns to me, a maniacal look in his eye, and in a high-pitched tone warbles, "You want to try two O-rings? You WANT TO TRY TWO O-RINGS?!" I'm a little scared at this point, but the man is more desperate than angry; he tries two large size O-rings, but it doesn't work. Just squeezes one out. Oddly, I had picked up a set of cheapie O-rings of various sizes at the FLAPS a few weeks ago, and Colin picks out a little, thin one, and stretches it on. Gingerly, with the touch of a master he works the it in.

Coolant round 3. O Jeebus! It didn't work. Still leaking... but careful peering tells the Man that it's not the crossover pipe; it's the little hose from the thermostat to the driver's side head ~ the clamps weren't tightened.

Coolant round 4. It holds. It HOLDS!

Now for some bleeding. We back it out, but it doesn't want to run/idle. One problem was the S-boot ~ I didn't tighten the clamp on the S-boot. But that doesn't fix our problem. Searching and checking, and a slightly dangerous playing with the plug on number 3 while the engine is running tells Colin that #3 isn't firing. Compression check reveals 0 compression. He asks if I'm a religious man; but then notes the van is working WITH us ~ the problem was revealed on the first cylinder he checked. Pray to whatever gods you hold dear that the problem is a poorly adjusted valve.

Removal of the valve cover reveals just such a problem. The push rod on cylinder 3 exhaust isn't seated in its lifter, and neither is the intake. Readjustment, coupled with a re-jump of the rod off the rocker followed by readjustment results in an engine that starts/idles/runs.

We go for a drive around the neighborhood ~ plenty of power, no problems.

I had to quickly shake Colin's hand ~ it was 4:30pm and I had to be teaching by 5:00pm. He was on his way, and so was I.

Bottom line ~ the van now runs better than it has since I bought it. I had it smogged and tagged by a local shop; they got it running, but it was always hard to start, and wouldn't idle until it was warm. Yesterday, while putting the top on, I moved it outside. Cold start; immediately started, and idled. No problems.

Thanks again Colin ~ you truly work magic; only it's not magic, it's the touch of a master.

L.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:33 am

Lanval wrote:Compression check reveals 0 compression. He asks if I'm a religious man; but then notes the van is working WITH us ~ the problem was revealed on the first cylinder he checked. Pray to whatever gods you hold dear that the problem is a poorly adjusted valve.
I about spewed coke on the screen on this one!

"Do you believe in Jesus?"

"Yes sir, I do."

"You are about to meet him".
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:15 am

Colin, where are you off to now since the Itinerary is officially done? Where are you now and what are you up to? Last time I read you were at a Starbucks near Irvine CA.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:48 am

Last I heard, wintering in Greenland. It's his thing ya know, all that snow and ice. Poor baby. :cherry:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Sylvester wrote:Colin, where are you off to now since the Itinerary is officially done?
Not that he's feeling this right now, but I've asked myself that question. I'll be stopped 'way out there, sitting in the driver's seat, gazing out the window thinking: "I wonder what I should do now? I wonder where I should go?"

It's a wonderful, magical feeling.

Sometimes, the answer is "home". :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:43 pm

glasseye wrote:
Sylvester wrote:Colin, where are you off to now since the Itinerary is officially done?
Not that he's feeling this right now, but I've asked myself that question. I'll be stopped 'way out there, sitting in the driver's seat, gazing out the window thinking: "I wonder what I should do now? I wonder where I should go?"

It's a wonderful, magical feeling.

Sometimes, the answer is "home". :cheers:
Well I done it now. I brought record cold to the desert in El Centro.
Just like I brought that cold July 4th to Portland. I almost froze to death last night. I had my leather jacket wrapped around my feet and a towel wrapped around my mouth and face to serve as the air-preheater exchanger. All I want is something like "average" temperatures, CAN YA HANDLE THAT, GOD?? NOOOOOO- IT HAS TO BE 30* BELOW AVERAGE. Don't make me call Lucifer, "hey Luke, yeah this Celestial Landlord is cheaping out on the heat."

What was I doing in El Centro? Hanging out with Pedro and Carlos and HeyYou (Jesus), as they tried to formulate three cans of TaigaGrun L63H 03 for the BobD. The first batch had no no no no no hardener in it, the paint is still tacky seven days later. I bought a small can of hardener in Oceanside and it allowed me to touch-up brush paint, but the color turned out to be too dark. This morning, we did whole new batch and boy do I hope it dries at the correct tint. IF it does, I will repaint the entire left front wheel arch to as nice of a standard as possible . . . with pictures.

I paid for their lunch at first batch time, they made me breakfast at re-do time this morning, I did not ask for any such thing and had to politely . . . ingest . . . a burrito with "carne" QUEL TYPO DE CARNE?? "haha you like it rilly bueno."

Now yes, glasseye, other than this cold that makes me want to burro into an aluminum smelter, I am indeed looking out the driver's window at the mountains and the sky and I ponder . . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:32 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Now yes, glasseye, other than this cold that makes me want to burro into an aluminum smelter, I am indeed looking out the driver's window at the mountains and the sky and I ponder . . . .
Colin
Visions of Sam McGee there (http://wordinfo.info/unit/2640?letter=C&spage=26)

Tim (actually got above freezing here today)
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:02 am

Lanval Vanagon issues now in Troubleshooting Forum until we get it figured out.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:08 pm

Nuts.
Next Ken Kesey and Carlos Casteneda will be dropping by offering 1940s tequilla. Steinbeck too what the hell. And Jack London in a F'ed up 1920s Model A pickup. Dust and AM radio.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat