Signing Off 2010 Itinerary

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Signing Off 2010 Itinerary

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:46 pm

Though it looks like I'm doing a couple of Irvine California calls in mid-November, let's call this the 2010 Itinerary.

I will post the results in the "2010 Itinerary Results Just In" post before Christmas.

For the first time since I have owned the BobD, I cleaned the interior. You know what? After 17,000 miles of pretty much everything that a car could be subjected to, this thing cleaned up very nicely!

First, I removed all contents:

Then the floor mats and carpeting and spare tire and seats, even:

Swept up all the dead bugs that had it coming to them, the ultimate price they paid for pestering me those long hot nights. Found water in the seat stud holes! Painted seat stud retainers and nuts:

Drop-clothed the dashboard and cleaned the headliner from bow to stern for the very first time. With exceptional care borne of long experience, I avoided getting window rubber black all over the friggen white headliner:

Waxed all the interior white paint (don't forget to wax the intake plenum and heater tube and seat frames and undersides of the front doors).

Scrubbed and towel-polished all rubber mats.

Made a note that brown interiors fool you into believing they're not as dirty as they actually are (the Road Warrior's white interior demanded attention frequently). Re-assembled interior:

Made a note that it is time to rebuild the front seats, but what a nice little cabin in the afternoon light:

And the final emptied out BobD sits high once again . . . til next time.

This was a transitional year for me. All summer, I was reminded of the Road Warrior because all of the memory triggers had to include the Road Warrior. Now, I have a good intense collection of BobD experiences (boy do I). The BobD has been loyal and patient with all of my flapping around, and I appreciate that. And all of youse too, have been loyal and patient and I really appreciate that.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Once again, I am in awe. Happy winterin', wherever it is. :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:01 am

She cleaned up nicely!

Thanks for all you do, Colin! =D> It was nice to finally meet you this year!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:28 am

:cheers: I've followed along pretty much all year and I must say it's been a helluva ride. The beautiful pictures, the experiences, and the memories. I look forward to next years ride =D>

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:26 pm

Thank YOU Colin....for all you do to keep all of our vehicles on the road....and for all you do to distract me from actually working at work :)
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

thenexttownshend
I'm New!

Post by thenexttownshend » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:28 pm

nice job, thanks again....you know thats gonna be fun when you open that door in the spring!!!
-steve - 73 bus

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Thanks...

Post by jimbear » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:15 am

Thanks for the visit and the knowledge Colin. I look forward to seeing you again in the spring (ish). I am sure we will all be "e-ing" with ya here, but have a good winter.

:occasion5:

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Just curious - How did the road warrior hold up in the wind vs. the BobD? Handling any better in the earlier bays - I wish my camper was a little more nimble sometimes in the wind - some days its a job getting there in the wind - there?
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:18 pm

mattg wrote:Just curious - How did the road warrior hold up in the wind vs. the BobD? Handling any better in the earlier bays - I wish my camper was a little more nimble sometimes in the wind - some days its a job getting there in the wind - there?
The BobD was a joy in the wind until the center pin bushings got sloppy. Then it was demoted to tolerable.
When I screwed up the center pin bushings, it is now at the Road Warrior level of "mildly annoying".

VW buses do not really bother me in the wind so long as the steering is free enough to return to center. Sloppy steering is way easier than stiff steering, but I am shooting for tight and light.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 pm

I do not fear wind since Colin and I put in a new center pin, and later I got Hankook RA08 tires on there.

dreadnotmusic
I'm New!

Post by dreadnotmusic » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Colin,
Your visit remains the highlight of my summer. It was my first, but shall not be the last. Just the other day I giggled as I crossed the bridge over the river in a 30 knot cross wind. You might recall how nervous I had become due to the loosey-goosey steering box. Tight and light she still steers!

Can't wait 'till next time!

Mike
Happily Nomadic
66 Split Riviera Camper
73 Westfalia Camper

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:58 am

Damn! That's a beautiful Bus! Your the only person I've ever known to wax the inside and undercarriage of their vehicle. Can't wait til you head out next summer. I'll have a list for ya.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------