IAC Greetings From Texas Hill Country (upd 0908)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:54 pm

It won't hurt it. Keep it painted so it doesn't rust.

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:48 am

I want my bus to look like that so badly. It has the potential, but I lack the decades of experience that makes so much of this type of work automatic. I might be able to get my shocks and wheels off, but not back on. Eventually someone would find a desiccated, mummified me sitting outside a jacked up weathered sun-faded bus.

It is so wonderful to see you are experiencing just being in the present moment so completely. You are really living. I suspect that true enlightment is not about life being blissful and wonderful all the time. It is about really seeing what is going on. It does not matter if it is a star filled night sky or a cop's flashlight shining in your face as long as you see it for what it is. I get the feeling that you get that better than all of us. You are not missing a thing by not being on this side of the fence. Thank you for sharing these experiences with us.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:58 am

aopisa wrote:I want my bus to look like that so badly. It has the potential, but I lack the decades of experience that makes so much of this type of work automatic.

I think for the 'common man' to take on such tasks is entirely possible, and truly the reason for the IAC visits - to inspire upon the common man the idea that you have these exact same skills just hiding inside - the result of having a common love for these vehicles and our want for them to live forever with us.

that said, I think the biggest difference, or how not to be discouraged by such steller work to the point where we aren't even willing to try on our own busses - is to think about it from a time standpoint. if the master takes a leasurely 3 days to accomplish the task to there point where he is mostly satisfied with the outcome - give yourself double that.
case in point, that beautiful exhaust re-do - 3 days out in the middle of nowhere for senior holyshitthatsnice should equate to (really however long) a week and a half for yourself, more if your just taking it on after working hours only.

when I see these things I think to myself "I CAN, but when in the world would I have the time to do so?" - the truth is usually that I DO have the time, but im not always willing to give up some of my other life vices to tackle said project at the moment. Sure, I could put down the remote and the brewski at 10pm when I sit down to relax and bang out a few hours of good rewarding work on the bus in either the driveway or garage, but im not always 'in the mood' to do so.

yet im making promises to the new bus in my life. soon honey, when the rains come and the sky darkens at a silly 5 o-clock, I WILL clear out a place in the garage for you and I WILL remove the 100 pounds of RTV holding so much of the exhaust/tinware together currently, and replace all of those rotten bolts and nuts with nice new shiny bits. when that's done I WILL make it so my radio and tachometer work without having to pull that extra headlight switch on the dash.

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:14 am

I know. I guess I am just so much a glass is half empty guy that I doubt my own potential to do this kind of work. I certainly have more confidence after spending a day with Colin this past spring. I will work on things that I would not have tried in the past, partly because of Colin's instruction and partly because the bus forces you to. If not me then who?

I took art instead of shop in school. I wish I had taken shop because I now see that there is more art in repair and maintenance than meets the eye.

I have this recurring dream that I am back in school. I show up for a class that somehow I did not know I had and the entire semester has gone by and today we are taking the final! That is often the feeling I get when it comes to taking on a mechanical project on my bus.

I will get there eventually, but it seems that entropy is always one step ahead of me.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:56 am

aopisa wrote:I have this recurring dream that I am back in school. I show up for a class that somehow I did not know I had and the entire semester has gone by and today we are taking the final! That is often the feeling I get when it comes to taking on a mechanical project on my bus.
That was a scene in Top Secret, so it can't be a bad dream, just a replay in your mind.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:05 am

Sylvester wrote:
aopisa wrote:I have this recurring dream that I am back in school. I show up for a class that somehow I did not know I had and the entire semester has gone by and today we are taking the final! That is often the feeling I get when it comes to taking on a mechanical project on my bus.
That was a scene in Top Secret, so it can't be a bad dream, just a replay in your mind.

Never saw Top Secret. Should I add it to my Netflix queue?
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:56 am

aopisa wrote:

yes.

Die Sauerkraut ist in mein Lederhosen!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:40 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
aopisa wrote:

yes.

Die Sauerkraut ist in mein Lederhosen!
Can't, stop, adding, movie quotes!

Nick Rivers "Where are they taking him?"

Colonel von Horst. "They are not taking him anywhere. "

BLAM!!!!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.