Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From New Mexico II

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From New Mexico II

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:15 pm

I have really gotten into the countryside, stomping down paths in the moonlight and reviewing the interaction I might have with a cougar or coyote, "excuse me, I am taking a walk and I'll thank you not to attempt to eat me." Then I go back to the car and look up at the Milky Way and tell it, "just because you are so big and mysterious doesn't mean I can skip out on my stupid little lists of things I have to do."

In the morning, I am awakened by a totally incomprehensible moo. "What? Where have I been transported to?" I scramble up and there is a Commuter Cow in a Hurry trotting past the VW. Aha. The slightly soft steps during last night's walk were merely big cow pies.

I have a different view of the spooky beautiful landscape in the early morning light:

Here's a view from the semi-cliff that I scaled with a diminishing grace:

There is an unbelievably stubborn bunch of gnarly trees. This one, how does it transport to its leaves, the trunk looks like it was blown in half:

This one had to face its fate. Woke up to being born in a rock crevasse. I guess it decided it had nowhere to go but up:

. . . so it did. And now it gets to enjoy the view and laugh at the punishing winds while its pals who used to scorn its lowly beginnings have to hang on to the sandy soil for dear life:

Up here, there were no cow pies. There is a deceptively high series of bluffs that I capered over seeking a path back down to the cow road:

Look at this Sculpture by God Using Wind and Rain (cerca 115,782 BC). It is like a stone horse fly:

Put some damn clothes on and drove down to the interstate. Pulled into a gas station all stubbly and shiny dirty tan, filled up with confused loathing at the speaker that was prattling my ass off "GET A 64oz BIG CHILL AND A SPICY HOT DOG FOR ONLY $4.99!" and went out into the rushing wind noise and a 2.0 air-cooled purr and ticked off hours of sunlight angling through morning noon and afternoon and gazed upon this:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:07 am

"just because you are so big and mysterious doesn't mean I can skip out on my stupid little lists of things I have to do."
This here is my life "crisis" in a nutshell. How do you go on with the mundane when the miraculous not only stares you in the face, but your very face is made of everything and nothing? And yet ya gotta, somehow...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Man, how do you find those cool little places to park/camp?

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From New Mexico II

Post by Sylvester » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:30 am

Amskeptic wrote: Image
I love this shot.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:13 am

hambone wrote:This here is my life "crisis" in a nutshell. How do you go on with the mundane when the miraculous not only stares you in the face, but your very face is made of everything and nothing? And yet ya gotta, somehow...
I know. It is very hard to go get "woodsy" for even a few days in the peace and quiet, and then if feels like everyone is screaming at you when you get back to the rat race we call civilization.
But we weren't born 200 years ago in a Native American village or the mountain frontier...so we have to listen to the screaming until we get numb to it again.

On the plus side, we have some modern ammenities like anti-biotics and air conditioning that can be nice...I guess.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:40 am

Let me just say
WERD. :profileleft:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat