Elwood welcomes the BobD

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Elwood welcomes the BobD

Post by Elwood » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:18 pm

This is a hard thing to post because of the tragedy of Bella Plaines daughter. My prayers have been with her and know that she is in the best of hands. On tue the 3rd we knew nothing of the horror of what is going on. I had shared with Colin some old pictures of my daughter with my late husband and parents in front of one of the many buses we drove and he commented about what a delightfull little girl she is and how impressed he was with the whole family(Bella Plaines) Obviously my love and hope for the best comes from this California space. xoxoxoxo

Colin as always arrived on time and ready to check out Elwood that has been neglected. He is my only needed driver, so priority made the desision to pay Colin his due and go sell some gold off the hill to make up for lack of a real job later. :geek: Im broke and its heirloom jewlery btw

First thing he found was a rear bumper bolt or two missing , lubed with his special little bottle all the hinges. Worked on the slider and found that it will need a replacement rear lock soon. Compression test revealed 115 on 1 nd 2 and higher on 3 and 4 ??? weird and will just go with it for now.

He in his energy adjusted the brakes, clutch cable, steering box and anything else he could get his tools on to get El ready for what ever road we need.

He focused in on the dash and how dirty the glass was :cyclopsani: After a few hours , the glass is clean and all lights work for the first time for me.

He let me vent my anger and frustration about the Bitch that is tring to buy her way into the gov seat and also the death of my daughter. A real biggie that I needed to talk to some one as kind as Colin about.

He is good and real and worth every cent you can give him.

Found a 19mm openend SK next day and got in the mail to NM asap --bet it has stories to tell.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:42 am

So imagine that you are Barb and it has been a day of adjusting this and that and replacing the oil and filter and visiting the local auto parts house, and suddenly the mechanic is all over that instrument panel in the late afternoon:

...... and he is upside down off the driver's seat with his hands jammed up in the guts of the dash saying, "where did that stupid thing go?", which is what you say any time you try to remove those stupid dash lever retainer plastic buttons in the early bays.

...... and then he says, "dang, every instrument glass retainer tab is broken clean off!" which is what happens when somebody who doesn't know these dashboards tries to free the glass, so he asks you for a wedge of wood to cram the glass in place, you oblige with a far more sensible section of cork (good mouldability and traction to stay put).

So if you are Barb, you just roll with it and cough up the paper towels to clean the gauge glass, and you ask gently why the turn signals now don't work at all, and you merely bring up the bolt laying in the driveway because the mechanic is getting a little fuzzy in the head, and All Of It is because we share this one inescapable Truth:
Barb And Elwood Made It To The Arctic Circle and still,
Elwood drives nice on an entirely un-epic trip to the gas station.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Amskeptic wrote:...we share this one inescapable Truth:
Barb And Elwood Made It To The Arctic Circle
:cheers: And how friggin' cool is THAT? =D>
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:41 am

Amskeptic wrote:Image
I love the BobD. I love my own '78, but you've GOT to love the curves of the early bays. Hardly a square edge on 'em! Bumpers and taillights and air scoops and... and that's just the back!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:29 am

Yay! Nice writeup. Real.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:56 am

Amskeptic wrote:...... and he is upside down off the driver's seat with his hands jammed up in the guts of the dash saying, "where did that stupid thing go?", which is what you say any time you try to remove those stupid dash lever retainer plastic buttons in the early bays.
This is accurate! I left those things out on my second pod-pull procedure. So long as you're careful with the levers they really aren't necessary to hold them in place and it makes things 10x easier when you have to pull them next time.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:55 am

Yeah, Barb, I don't know why meg whitman brags about ebay... everyone I know thinks she ruined it on the backs of small vendors, nickel and dimeing every little thing, raising fees to ridiculous levels. Now she wants to rob the people of California. no thank you. Please vote yes on prop 19, legalizing cannabis

I'm glad your bus is running in good shape now. Looks like a nice day up there on the mountain. I've never known soCal to be so cool in summer.
71 bus, 74 westy

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:28 pm

Drove Elwood down the mtn last week ( just what do you ware to go to a pawn shop?) :joker: All went well and was surprised at what I got for scrap gold, it more than made up for Colins fee. Did not need gold nugget I had bought in Yukon on Arctic trip so will have his next visit covered :cheers: Was really disapointed at Bank of America that I had called in advance to see if they exchanged foriegn money, was told yes. No not after 2pm, I arrived at 2:10pm UGG! rude service when I told them they better give phone personal better instructions. So I still have a kaboodle of Loonies and twonies of Canadian plus British pound notes. Will have to go to airport or maybe even back up to Canada to exchange, I prefer the latter :alien: I loved how I was treated up there.

El drove well with newly adjusted brakes, but the sterring box will have to be replaced soon , really lumpy :bounce: Good thing bumper bolts got fixed as I backed into a Low Rider in the parking lot of In and Out Burger. I could not see it :pale: Good thing I had complimented young man at window as he came to my defense at kinda angry dude, worried about his fiberglass bumper ( not damaged) whew!!!! Els bumper gave just enough ,
Thank you Colin!!!

Yes Birdi, Meg will be the loser if I can do any thing about it. An even thou i have not read the language I will vote for prop 19, ironic that is the same as 1972 prop 19 I worked so very hard on for Decrimalzation (sp) but onward to sanity with the weed :flower:

Colin did you get the 19mm?
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:45 pm

Elwood wrote:Els bumper gave just enough ,
Thank you Colin!!!
did you get the 19mm?
We can pull it back out in preparation for the next hit . . . next year.

As a matter of fact, your "shipping container" was perfect. I was completely out of paper towels, dipping into the dregs of the Chevron Station blue rectangular towelettes, and your package was handed to me. I opened it and calmly pulled a towel off to wipe my hands, "I only use mail-order paper towels from Southern California . . . . "
:flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles