Irvine Adventure Part I

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:26 am

Lanval wrote:Right wires, but not Bosch; it was not easy to even find the right wires on a sunday morning, so be nice to me.

It was hiccuping at around 3000 rpm. I wondered if it might be fuel supply. In all fairness, it does drive pretty well considering. The shifter is tight and short. Wow. Turned easy. I wonder about the power steering....

L.

edit ~ it did seem like the lifters were quieter, but I had the hatch on. And I only drove for about 2 minutes.

L.
I bought some "right generic wires" once. A connector had 5,000 ohms resistance. I did not know this save for the symptom of a mysterious misfire under load only.

I ask you the following to ponder, was this misfire symptom apparent with Rat-Chewed wires? I do not know, as I do not remember revving the engine much beyond idle. If Rat-Chewed wires misfired, then you have a potential issue with Rat-Chewed electrical to consider. As for fuel delivery, usually it will have a softer effect as it strangles the engine.
ColinMusing
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Towed to the shop this morning. I guess we'll find out. I asked them to swap fluids, tune up and smog cert.

They'll let me know what it'll cost (approx I guess) to get it up and running.

Stressed and worried about it.

Back to work,

Lanval

gorge runner
Getting Hooked!

Post by gorge runner » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:33 am

Nice story of resurrection and some redemption too.

Good work!
91 Vanagon Carat
It's not "air-cooled", but it does have an air compressor. Does that count?

http://www.nextrevcreative.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:30 am

Lanval wrote:Towed to the shop this morning. I guess we'll find out. I asked them to swap fluids, tune up and smog cert.

They'll let me know what it'll cost (approx I guess) to get it up and running.

Stressed and worried about it.

Back to work,

Lanval
Waiting right here for an update.
Colin

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:32 pm

When I took it to the shop, I told them to "take your time". Until I get the blue van sold, there's no place to park another car, so the longer it takes, the better off I am.

I updated the reg ($500!) and am now only waiting for the smog. If I don't hear anything by a week from Monday (third week of Aug) I'll fly by and check in with them. Give 'em the story, and see where they're at.

I'm pretty committed to going forward with the new van, so if it costs a little money, we'll do it. Ideally, they would do nothing but a tune and some replacements (fluid, perhaps the occasional vacuum hose), and get the thing smogged.

Then I can get back to work on the chewed wires, and smelly inside.

Updates as they arrive,

Lanval

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:47 am

Lanval wrote:When I took it to the shop, I told them to "take your time". Until I get the blue van sold, there's no place to park another car, so the longer it takes, the better off I am.

I updated the reg ($500!) and am now only waiting for the smog. If I don't hear anything by a week from Monday (third week of Aug) I'll fly by and check in with them. Give 'em the story, and see where they're at.

I'm pretty committed to going forward with the new van, so if it costs a little money, we'll do it. Ideally, they would do nothing but a tune and some replacements (fluid, perhaps the occasional vacuum hose), and get the thing smogged.

Then I can get back to work on the chewed wires, and smelly inside.

Updates as they arrive,

Lanval
Since taking your VW to a mechanic so shortly after an Itinerant Air-Cooled visit so deeply wounds my delicate spirit, please do the following out of entirely justified Guilt:

Please let me know of any unusual diagnosis given to you before you commit to a repair. Not that I don't trust mechanics to not "pad the bill" or anything . . . :cyclopsani:

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:31 pm

No problem ~ I'll probably stop by and talk to them tomorrow about the situation, with the assertion that they should do it as cheaply as possible.

What I want is for them to replace all the fluids, do a tune-up (I didn't have time to hit the lifters before I had to get it out of here) and see if they can just get the damn smog tags.

Anything else will result in some serious deliberations, in which you'll be included.

Pride, like the regret with which I live daily, is mostly a waste. I have no doubt that if I'd arranged for more of your time than just 4 hours, we'd have gotten it smogged that day. If I could have I would have asked you to come back after your weekend, but my schedule didn't permit it, nor did the intolerant authorities of the wanna-be police state that runs our apartments.

I did what I had to do no more; I won't hit the details, but it has been very stressful here since you've left, because of the van, and other things. Getting it to the mech. gave me breathing room that I badly needed.

Travel in peace,

L.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:35 am

Lanval wrote:
Travel in peace,
L.
( see more of this exciting saga in the Type 2 Forum )

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:53 pm

Colin,

Can you call me PM me and/or email me at "mlathrop@uci.edu"?

For some reason I can't PM you on this forum... the messages just go to the "sendbox"

I'd like to arrange to have you come back and help me out with the heads.

Best,

Lanval

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:13 pm

Lanval wrote:Colin,

Can you call me PM me and/or email me at "mlathrop@uci.edu"?

For some reason I can't PM you on this forum... the messages just go to the "sendbox"

I'd like to arrange to have you come back and help me out with the heads.

Best,

Lanval
They stay in the send box until I read them. Then they display in the outbox. Automatically.

We may need to jerk the schedule something awful . . . but fun.
Colin

nathan@el
Getting Hooked!

Post by nathan@el » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:19 pm

Any chance you would be willing to help me out again as well Colin, if you can make it out to see Lanval? I got the distributor and related parts we need in order to switch to points, but have been too scared to actually attempt this switch-over so far! I'm afraid I will make the van not run at all, as opposed to run badly like it's doing now. ;)
Orange 1980 Vanagon L Westy
~190,000 miles on body
~20,000 on engine

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:51 pm

nathan@el wrote:Any chance you would be willing to help me out again as well Colin, if you can make it out to see Lanval? I got the distributor and related parts we need in order to switch to points, but have been too scared to actually attempt this switch-over so far! I'm afraid I will make the van not run at all, as opposed to run badly like it's doing now. ;)
I would be happy to, but I must leave you hanging as well for a while as I formulate the next few steps of my journey.
Colin

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:49 pm

Colin,

It was in the 90's today, I waited until evening and then changed out the bad alternator belt. Enjoyed loosening up the other belts, and discovered that changing them is easy.

Got a few other little things to do before I put in it in the garage. We need you back here. The weather wants you. The siren song of Southern California "winter" calls to you.

"They say in LA, it's a warm holiday..."

See ya soon.

Lanval

nathan@el
Getting Hooked!

Post by nathan@el » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:33 pm

I would be happy to, but I must leave you hanging as well for a while as I formulate the next few steps of my journey.
No worries here Colin. My schedule is at least relatively flexible, so whenever you can make it out this way again, I'm sure I can be ready for another visit! And, as Lanval pointed out, today (09/26) has been the hottest day of the year in Orange County! It was 101 in Irvine! So there is plenty of hot weather here for you when you arrive.
Orange 1980 Vanagon L Westy
~190,000 miles on body
~20,000 on engine

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:03 am

4,358 miles and 64 hours driving roundtrip from Atlanta.
217 gallons fuel X $3.25 = $705
Lodging I would estimate at $172.
Gross from youse twose $1,420.00
My net $543.00 for a total adventure of 2 weeks.
Subtract long term depreciation (engine/drivetrain/tires/wear).

Now, if I decide to winter in Pahrump NV or even Yorba Linda CA, that will change the math a good deal.
Colin