Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Oregon

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Oregon

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:19 pm

After the chilly day in Pullman, it was a welcome sight to head back down to Lewiston in the sun on the way to Maupin via the glasseye pretty road:

. . . along the pretty road outside of Asotin near the Wallowa Range, IIRC:

Dramatic approach to the Columbia Gorge Headwind Interstate:

I love this bunch of people. What a lucky extra dimension to my life to have this gathering in Maupin. What other career is there that could claim after seven years of occasional hard work with hundreds of different people, to not have run across a single Major Jerk? I think there really is a particular kind of person that gravitates to these honest hard-working well-built unpretentious VWs. Even if they are painted a bit candy. . . ish:

To heck with Starbucks "ventis", let's have Vents! Vents that vent:

I love this pair:

A little light, a little music, a little poptop action:

. . . and a little more music:

and how about a little art, the art of movement as brought to us by Misszora?

Over next to my campspot, there was this, a split-level Riveria:

I thought I saw a Volvo or something when I first pulled in, but that was just because I didn't have a good enough buzz going . . . yet:

. . . ever woke up still buzzed? I have. Had to get up at 6:30AM or something, so satchmo and glasseye could greet their Sunday, but hey, breakfast at the Oasis! Wouldn't miss it. The waning hours of the 5th Annual DeschutesRiverRendez-VWs, the camping spot was emptying out:

. . . but the fun was just beginning for some, like BillMelissa&Paige and their very polite Sweetpea bus which delicately expired on the uphill so as to give us a chance to discover that the brakes were pretty much not going to help on the downhill.

I feel very fortunate to be a part of this group, very lucky to have found some like-minded people on this big ol' Earth, and that my favorite automobile of all time should be the common denominator, well, I am very fortunate.

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Oregon

Post by Westy78 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:49 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Dramatic approach to the Columbia Gorge Headwind Interstate:

Just got done pulling this grade going up the hill. Slow and easy in third gear at 45. One of the most killer climbs I've done in the Bus. Did you notice all the water barrels along the uphill side for all those vehicles with radiators? Saw one mini van towing a tent trailer with a spewing cooler near the top.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Oregon

Post by glasseye » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Amskeptic wrote: on the way to Maupin via the glasseye pretty road:

That would be WA 129 turning into OR 03, south from Lewiston down into the Grand Ronde River valley, and on to Enterprise, OR. A truly delightful road. Even though I was earlier forsaken, :flower: I was soooo pleased you took it.

... well, I am very fortunate.

And fortunate are those who so realize :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:34 pm

An aside from the distant past:

I was coming back from a stage race in Spokane, during the summer of 86. At that time I was driving my 73 transporter (automatic!), one-arming the steering wheel down the gorge. I saw a sign that said "Gusty Winds" and snorted a wry "Oh really?! Thanks for the update..."

Literally within seconds a gust blew me out of the right lane, across the left and into the breakdown lane on the other side of the road.

I grabbed the wheel with both hands, and maintained a death grip and my lane for the rest of the way.

headwind interstate indeed. 8-[