Colin visits with Mr Blotto for Round 3

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Colin visits with Mr Blotto for Round 3

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:25 pm

Today's goal was to replace my front pads and rotors, and replace the rear shoes and backing plates. It started with freeing up a stuck on rear drum, then everything came to a screaching hault when the driver's side axle nut WOULD NOT BUDGE - even with me (6'1" and 230lbs) standing/bouncing on Colin's big-ass 3/4" breaker bar and cheater pipe. So, we made a quick trip to my friendly neighborhood mechanic to borrow an air impact wrench, and we are back in business.

Due to some ill-fitting new backing plates, Colin had to take some material off my drums and give the plates a few whacks to bend them back into correct position so that the drums did not rub on the plates.

Rusted /frozen fasteners plauged us for the entire day, but in the end, it was success! As always, Colin was an excellent teacher, and MADE me get comfortable with all tasks that I did.

Thanks again Colin - I don't think I will be able to walk tomorrow....I don't know how you do for months on end.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:01 pm

Money well spent. You back in business? Ready to camp?

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:17 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Money well spent. You back in business? Ready to camp?
Just have to do the master cylinder now :pale: :pale:

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:50 am

Pictures of the event? Master cylinders are fun, never done a Bus one, just my 64 Bug.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:12 am

Glad everything went well, Paul! And you accomplished all your tasks with only minor inconveniences!!
Colin is a wonderful teacher, and a joy to work with!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:28 am

Colin - I think you hit it off with my daughter. The last thing she when she went to sleep last night was "Where's Colin?....Where's Colin?". :flower: :flower: :flower:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:19 am

Mr Blotto wrote:Colin - I think you hit it off with my daughter. The last thing she when she went to sleep last night was "Where's Colin?....Where's Colin?". :flower: :flower: :flower:
She inspired me to talk straight with her. Those eyes demanded it, no "gootchy gootchy HI! oh-she's-so-cute" with her.

Folks? Rear backing plates are a big job on a Midwest East Coast bus.
Phew. It was a good day of making you do all the work. :cyclopsani:
You have a good bus. Rust eradication + a proper Talgagruen paint job, and it'll be a lovely specimen of the breed.

Have a complete VWbug brakes/wheel bearings/wheel cylinders job to to do between 9:00AM and 1:00PM, then have to drive 367 miles to Hamilton Illinois for a day with the Mississippi river captain.
SEEya,
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dreadnotmusic
I'm New!

Post by dreadnotmusic » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Amskeptic wrote: then have to drive 367 miles to Hamilton Illinois for a day with the Mississippi river captain.
SEEya,
Colin
The garage is prepped, air compressor full, and gumout carb spray on standby!!! Be safe and we'll see you tomorrow!!!

Mike
Happily Nomadic
66 Split Riviera Camper
73 Westfalia Camper

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:48 pm

dreadnotmusic wrote:The garage is prepped, air compressor full, and gumout carb spray on standby!!! Be safe and we'll see you tomorrow!!!
You didn't mention anything about Diet Coke. Are you sure you're ready? :cyclopsani:
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

dreadnotmusic
I'm New!

Post by dreadnotmusic » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Funny you mention that. My wife just called from the store and I reminded her to pick some up!
Happily Nomadic
66 Split Riviera Camper
73 Westfalia Camper

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:55 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
dreadnotmusic wrote:The garage is prepped, air compressor full, and gumout carb spray on standby!!! Be safe and we'll see you tomorrow!!!
You didn't mention anything about Diet Coke. Are you sure you're ready? :cyclopsani:
Yeah, and make sure it's not diet Pepsi! (I screwed that up)
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:34 am

Ritter wrote:
vwlover77 wrote:
I just give a 12 pack for the ride. Sort of my sacrifice on the altar to have a good day with Colin. Guess it worked for me and the exhaust stud scenario.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Ritter wrote:
vwlover77 wrote:
I drank it too.
:cyclopsani:

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:56 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Ritter wrote:
I drank it too.
Shoot, I was hoping to take that off your hands. I love DP!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:19 pm

chitwnvw wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Ritter wrote:
I drank it too.
Shoot, I was hoping to take that off your hands. I love DP!
Man, I woulda. I wanted to go play pool and drink beer with you and the Chicago gang, but I took on a job that turned into a two day steal-all-my-time-off deal, the Rob Loomis beautiful Marinablau 1971 bug that he has owned since the age of 20.

Anyways, might be back in the fall.
Colin