2009 Results Just In

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:49 pm

werksberg wrote:Is each book going to be hand written and drawn too?

Or photo copied?
Yep. At the rate I'm going .. .. ..
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:18 pm

Maybe do a preproduction, partly done, unfinish rough draft, limited early edition & highly collective copy and get them memograph copied? :drunken:
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:09 am

Colin, thank you for sharing your life, passion, and experience with us. I'm looking forward to the 2010 itinerary.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:24 am

locoqueso wrote:Colin, thank you for sharing your life, passion, and experience with us. I'm looking forward to the 2010 itinerary.
x2
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:59 am

X3
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:13 am

Amskeptic wrote:

Or photo copied?
Colin
Or like the Gutenbergs used to do, one page at a time. Here is Colin in Z's garage this winter:

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Sylvester wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Or photo copied?
Colin
Or like the Gutenbergs used to do, one page at a time. Here is Colin in Z's garage this winter:

=D> Good laugh for the day! I needed that!
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Sylvester wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Or photo copied?
Colin

I am fond of the Amish and other plain folks and used to get a magazine that was actually produced this way. They even had pictures that were wood-stamped if I remember. It was called Plain and was made quarterly by a Plain Quaker gentleman named Scott Savage. He has some books on Amazon regarding the Plain life. Cool reads. One book was about him walking to turn in his driver license to DMV as he no longer would drive a car and went full horse and buggy.

Anyway, they stopped making Plain a while back but did this magazine for a number of years. tj
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I am hand writing and hand illustrating this book, (trees be damned):
one of the first things I loved about VW lifestyle was the idiots guide.
the illustrations done by Peter Aschwanden really captured me, moreso than even the content itself (at first.)

I love your drawings, they remind me of Peter's in a way, but in color and with more useful content.
id hang yours on the wall too.

some of the drawings Peter did for the 'Velvet Monkeywrench' book that Muir also wrote are my favorites.
years ago I was able to contact Peter before his passing to get a huge print he made (from the Velvet book.)

=D>
1979 California Transporter

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:11 pm

airkooledchris wrote: one of the first things I loved about VW lifestyle was the idoits guide.
the illustrations done by Peter Aschwanden really captured me, moreso than even the content itself (at first.)

I love your drawings, they remind me of Peter's in a way, but in color and with more useful content.
id hang yours on the wall to.

some of the drawings Peter did for the 'Velvet Monkeywrench' book that Muir also wrote are my favorites.
years ago I was able to contact Peter before his passing to get a huge print he made (from the Velvet book.)

=D>
Funny, I feel the same way. In fact, at my last garage, I had a worn out beat up Idiot book that I used to cut out some of Peter's drawings and tacked them to my garage walls. I love utilitarian things, especially artwork!
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:26 am

BellePlaine wrote:
Funny, I feel the same way. In fact, at my last garage, I had a worn out beat up Idiot book that I used to cut out some of Peter's drawings and tacked them to my garage walls. I love utilitarian things, especially artwork!
"Better downshift Honey!" :joker:

I have fond memories of being 8 years old and in the back of my Mom's brand spanking new 71 bus merrily tracing the pictures on the way to Cali on summer vacation! I used to trace them out and or practice my own skill on duplicating the drawings as the years went by... :drunken: :geek:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:44 pm

keifernet wrote: I have fond memories of being 8 years old and in the back of my Mom's brand spanking new 71 bus merrily tracing the pictures on the way to Cali on summer vacation! I used to trace them out and or practice my own skill on duplicating the drawings as the years went by... :drunken: :geek:
My favorite illustration in the Idiot's Guide (early edition before they got too gussied up) was the poor insomniac sitting in bed with that exploded view of his engine haunting him.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:20 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
keifernet wrote: I have fond memories of being 8 years old and in the back of my Mom's brand spanking new 71 bus merrily tracing the pictures on the way to Cali on summer vacation! I used to trace them out and or practice my own skill on duplicating the drawings as the years went by... :drunken: :geek:
My favorite illustration in the Idiot's Guide (early edition before they got too gussied up) was the poor insomniac sitting in bed with that exploded view of his engine haunting him.
Colin
Mine too... although I sometimes wonder if it may have been more appropriate to depict the poor insomniac lying awake in his Westy pondering his engine parts and how he is to make it home across those mountains.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:27 pm

sped372 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
Mine too... although I sometimes wonder if it may have been more appropriate to depict the poor insomniac lying awake in his Westy pondering his engine parts and how he is to make it home across those mountains.
Yes that one too! and I still spend many hours awake in the middle of some nights dissecting, planning and re arranging things in my mind I have going on.

I was just tossing out that one "quote" of a particular picture that always intrigued me and cracked me up and wondering WHO would get it. ;)

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:42 pm

The illustration from the idiot's guide that always brought a smile to my face was the cartoon where the chap dreamed he passed another vehicle in his splittie
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::