The BobD Gets A Taste . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

The BobD Gets A Taste . . .

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:42 pm

. . . of the itinerant life. Slowly re-acquainting the mechanicals with the fact that they were designed to cruise all day at 75 mph, they're getting it.

So far all mechanical investigations have shown the engine to be happy, just did the compression this afternoon in Mississipi 130-140-130-145, a bit higher than I have ever owned in a VW, but acceptable.
The plugs were at the edge of lean, so I *leaned* the wiper adjustment and *richened* the spring to keep the idle where it was, but now the mixture pours it on a bit more easily.

Then I thought, let's clean up this sliding door area. And I am going to test an idea, that the tracks themselves *should be clean and dry* but the spindles on the rollers should be oiled. I even waxed the paint in the tracks:

just a light bit of *garage door gear grease* for the plastic slide slot only, the rest is clean and dry and waxed:

This car rewards the obsessive:

If you are going to adjust the top edge of the door a 1/2mm out, then you WILL clean the cover . . . . on the inside too:

Beauty rings are coming off for good when I repaint the perfectly nice factory wheels that got scratched to death because of aforementioned "beauty rings". I call them "garish unsprung weight".

I found enough rust lurking under the WaxOyl undercoating that Bob paid handsomely for, that the job was mostly a waste of money. I find professional undercoat jobs are no good if they do not go to where it matters and they leave you complacent as though you've done something when you actually haven't. The little rubber plugs just behind the front wheels, 3 seconds to remove, were untouched and the rockers were rusty inside. The front beam drains were clogged. The dogleg plugs, untouched. There was rust through in the right front wheel well at the footwell kick-outs for the middle seat passengers. The tubes and brake lines under the car, the brake proportioning valve, the booster, the master cylinder, the electrical harness tube, all had the minimum amount of undercoat where you would make a cursory glance, but their topsides still had rust and dirt totally exposed to road splash. You might call this a litany of problems . . . I call it an opportunity.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Are those beauty rings real aluminum or chromed plastic? I might be interested in a little more unsprung weight on my Westy if they are aluminum.

The BobD sure is a beauty! I'm blinded from the bright reflection of the door hardware off the green paint! Wow!

(What kind of mpg has it been delivering while flogged at 75mph?)
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 pm

What kind of pansy waist complains about having a doll like that dangling from his arm?

Come to Chitwn and experience the real world, where buses work for a living.

PS: Whitte cruises at 78 on the flats all day long. :geek:

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:40 pm

Chit...that road must be down hill......
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:43 pm

werksberg wrote:Chit...that road must be down hill......
78 level. Show you 80+ on a downhill. LOL.

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:47 pm

Good to have you back, Colin.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:23 am

Back on that saddle, and rubbing it in no less! :blackeye:
I'll bet your bus will rust faster than mine though. :blackeye: :blackeye:
Must be a treat to have that museum piece to make perfect. And for the perfect guy for such tasks.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:15 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Are those beauty rings real aluminum or chromed plastic? I might be interested in a little more unsprung weight on my Westy if they are aluminum.
(What kind of mpg has it been delivering while flogged at 75mph?)
Serious metal, I did not even think to think that anyone would be foolish enough to make much less sell plastic???? down where the action is unforgiving.

Mileage has been about 16 at 75 mph. Not so special. Bwaw, I miss my CARBURETORS, I loved the bark of dual carbs at full-throttle, waaaaaaah.
Colin :pale:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:18 pm

justgimmecoffee wrote:Good to have you back, Colin.
Aww, we'll see about that. BobD goes in storage tomorrow, and I Lexus to Austin to HIT the drawing BOARD.
Colin

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Amskeptic wrote:...and I Lexus to Austin to HIT the drawing BOARD.
Colin
Don't forget to post a sketch or two...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....