BobD Back To Atlanta

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:19 am

Amskeptic wrote:How do you FIND these things? You have an inside track to every pound puppy air-cooled VW in the Northeast, then you TRIP over a Lexus LS400 in the process? Can I . . . can I . . . can i . . . possibly inconvenience you to . . . you know . . . let me see what Austin has first.
Colin :bounce:
Lots of time spent driving to and walking around the pick n pull yards, and just dumb luck is about all it is. This particular one is literally 5 minutes from my place, so if there's something you need, just let me know. The engine is complete as of yesterday...gauge cluster was gone as was the front seat and some trim from the inside but other than that it's pretty complete. I did snag one valve cover bolt from it while I was there.... :joker:

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:38 am

That is always great exercise....walking the parts for you yards! :geek:

Last Sunday at the BOR Fontana event, they had a couple of the Ca. Speedway trams running....and I was at their turn around area in the swap area.

I kept wanting to yell out " Americans, we are over weight and lazy! Get off that tram and walk! It will do you good!" :drunken:
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:00 am

justgimmecoffee wrote:
I notice the second, LONGER bundle of lumber projecting forwards.
I went back to look and was amazed, too. then I realized the door isn't even a slider anymore.
OMG! I never noticed the hinges! You truly are running that bus til it dies.
71 bus, 74 westy

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:15 am

I have laid my very own eyes upon that Bus at the DixieBus campout and I must tell you, it is a thing of beauty to behold!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:25 pm

It puts my working bus to shame.

[albumimg]2521[/albumimg]

jmstu76
Getting Hooked!

Post by jmstu76 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:35 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
vwlover77 wrote: But do I need to replace both the inner and outer on each side, or would this easy technique to do just the outers be good enough?

Where did you get the pure talc?
The 10 minute 180* Anti-Twitter Bushing Talc/Rotation Operation is a stop-gap on-the-road quit-embarrassing-yourself-at-the-VW-dealer sort of deal.

I recommend that you replace both the inner and outer bushings.

At no point did I write "pure" talc. I wrote "real" talc, like I used Johnson&Johnson Hypoallegenic Talcum Baby Powder to distinguish from Johson&Johnson Hypoallegenic Cornstarch Baby Powder which would truly not work at all.
Colin :blackeye:
Colin, can you elaborate on what a twitter looks or feels like...
James
1976 2.0L FI with Hydraulic lifters

Edmond, OK
(405) 623-2191

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:59 pm

jmstu76 wrote: Colin, can you elaborate on what a twitter looks or feels like...
It neither looks nor feels, it sounds. And it drives you nuts mostly in the mornings, just the sound of the torsion bar ends moving in minute increments against the spring plate covers, reporting every bump in the road. As the bushings wear, the spring plate can walk sideways a little , and this can drive the bar out until it is contacting the spring plate cover. You will see shiny wear marks both on the end of the torsion bar and the inside of the spring plate cover.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jmstu76
Getting Hooked!

Post by jmstu76 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:15 am

Amskeptic wrote:
jmstu76 wrote: Colin, can you elaborate on what a twitter looks or feels like...
It neither looks nor feels, it sounds. And it drives you nuts mostly in the mornings, just the sound of the torsion bar ends moving in minute increments against the spring plate covers, reporting every bump in the road. As the bushings wear, the spring plate can walk sideways a little , and this can drive the bar out until it is contacting the spring plate cover. You will see shiny wear marks both on the end of the torsion bar and the inside of the spring plate cover.
Colin
Interesting, I don't think I have ever heard that before. Maybe I should turn the stereo down once in a while and listen. I do appreciate the method of rotating the bushings and "lubing" them with the talc powder. ingenious.
James
1976 2.0L FI with Hydraulic lifters

Edmond, OK
(405) 623-2191