Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

BobD Greetings From Austin

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Yep, we're in Texas:

. . . driving the BobD:

It was not easy slicing and dicing the interstates with my legs and feet feeling like they were dangling in front of the front wheels no less than the sensation of legs dangling in a ferris wheel bucket. Here is the sacriligious cabin view set up like the Road Warrior:

Car ran flawlessly under my crabby ass bitching about the seating position being too high on these later buses (botches up outside rear view mirror angles, ruins the armrest elevation, puts the steering wheel under the perfect elbow prop position, and crops the view when your head is up near the headliner, and Mr. SafetyParanoid is not pleased with the upper door edge now in line to crack my cranium with a minor side hit):

Engine was peppy and locked in happily at 72 mph exactly like I remember new Volkswagens in my youth, however it ate a half quart of my finest Castrol GTX 10-40:

. . . and the emission sticker :

Lubricated the heck out of the front suspension and loose center pin bushings, and cleaned off the bottom of the crankcase, which delivered brand new clean aluminum under the oem cryolin wax:

. . . and of course, I had to wax the Konis:

So, I am trying to figure out how to make the next step honest. I refuse to blithely attempt to recreate something that has indeed come to an end.
Stay tuned . . .
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: BobD Greetings From Austin

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Car ran flawlessly under my crabby ass bitching about the seating position being too high on these later buses (botches up outside rear view mirror angles, ruins the armrest elevation, puts the steering wheel under the perfect elbow prop position, and crops the view when your head is up near the headliner
Thank you for confirming this. Both I and my wife have noticed the difference between her '70 and our '78. I thought the reduced visibility was because the '78 is a Riviera camper rather than a transporter but your statement above makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The BobD looks great. I'm glad your crabby ass is back in the saddle.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Pearl
I'm New!

Post by Pearl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:27 pm

fly that bird south for the winter...

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Interesting figure on the oil temp. Seems awful low from what I've seen on my gauges, even in frigid ambient temps.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Westy78 wrote:Interesting figure on the oil temp. Seems awful low from what I've seen on my gauges, even in frigid ambient temps.
That's the temp the oil should be at when making adjustments, not what it will run at on the road.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Vdubtech wrote:
Westy78 wrote:Interesting figure on the oil temp. Seems awful low from what I've seen on my gauges, even in frigid ambient temps.
That's the temp the oil should be at when making adjustments, not what it will run at on the road.
Ah, that makes more sense.

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:47 pm

Amazing photos to accompany the start of a new story.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:56 pm

=D> :cheers: =D> :bounce: :cheers: =D> :bounce: :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: BobD Greetings From Austin

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:01 pm

Amskeptic wrote:So, I am trying to figure out how to make the next step honest. I refuse to blithely attempt to recreate something that has indeed come to an end.
A couple of good quotes from Chuck Yeager seem appropriate here....

"You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don't give up."

and....

"You don't concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done. "

Roll on, Colin and BobD, Roll On!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Inside joke alert:

Hey Colin! Nice hand-brake warning light lens...

:geek:

I soooooooo wanna drive that car.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:26 am

That's a lot of oil...
Hey seating comfort/angle is everything. If that doesn't feel right, then why drive the damn thing? Might as well be a Wright Flyer, history be damned this should be a practical contraption because you are above else a practical man. Unless you're just crabby and need time to settle in.
Push comes to shove, ditch it and get something that fits like an old shoe. There are plenty of lovely pound pups out there - you need them/they need you.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:12 pm

hambone wrote:That's a lot of oil...
Hey seating comfort/angle is everything. If that doesn't feel right, then why drive the damn thing? Might as well be a Wright Flyer, history be damned this should be a practical contraption because you are above else a practical man. Unless you're just crabby and need time to settle in.
Push comes to shove, ditch it and get something that fits like an old shoe. There are plenty of lovely pound pups out there - you need them/they need you.
I agree with hammie ... but correct me if I'm wrong, the bad seating position is because of the seats ...couldn't you put a set of 73 seats in there and have the same seating position?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:13 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
hambone wrote:That's a lot of oil...
I agree with hammie ... but correct me if I'm wrong, the bad seating position is because of the seats ...couldn't you put a set of 73 seats in there and have the same seating position?
Different rails.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:01 pm

Either he needs to install vanagon seats or weld in the early bay rails.

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:13 pm

Colin, its nice to hear you're on the mend. or as close as you can get at the moment. BobD looks gorgeous. I'm glad to hear that i"m in the ballpark of your cruising speed; I thought keeping up with traffic (aka 75mph) was pushing it a wee bit too hard.

You've been knocked from one river to another. Relax and enjoy the trip. As Hambone sez: don't fight it, the ropes only get tighter.