Disposition of the Road Warrior

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:35 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I loved that car. I know it is goofy.
No it's not.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:58 pm

whc03grady wrote:
No it's not.
It really isn't. I've had to figure out why I loved it too.

It made a certain kind of day possible, somehow. Nearly a week after we lost it, I'm still thinking of an evening in Virginia . . . three little kids changing out of their clothes inside and then running for the Shenandoah River. Same kids air-drying as we drove away. It was like that car took you where you wanted to go, no more no less. So you got an experience unpolluted by excessive comfort. Not that it was uncomfortable. I slept just fine on the floor behind the driver's seat. And in the front, with my bare feet up on the dashboard (sorry Colin), I could tolerate any long trip. Although I'm sure that had a lot to do with the conversation and company too.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Cindy wrote:
whc03grady wrote:
No it's not.
It really isn't. I've had to figure out why I loved it too.
Personal history, mementos, memories, connectivity to things that matter in your life, places where your life changes or grows or is simply experienced; none of that is goofy. It is what makes up the fabric of your consciousness and your being-ness.

You just lost a good friend. A GREAT friend actually, one who saved your life. This isn't goofy Colin, it's just shock and sadness that something you loved so deeply, that was so inherent to your being will never be the same again.

You need some time to reflect and heal and grieve and ultimately to move on to the next chapter of Road Warrior II. It will happen. Indulge yourself with patience brother. And also allow yourself to feel the loss. I promise the ColinPhoenix that will emerge will be even stronger, even more resolute and even more present than ever before.

It WILL happen.

:flower:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Colin,

Keep the bus if only to take the time to decide what to do next. You can decide to part with or part out the Road Warrior at a later time. Finding a place for storage may be an issue but it's better than regretting leaving your friend behind.
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:53 pm

If you do part it up, mount the speedometer in a shadow box with pictures of the Warrior, and the VW emblem, like a military shadow box I used to do.

Road Warrior 588,238 miles

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.