Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Los Alamos

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Los Alamos

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:53 am

So this jtauxe guy, whattaguy:

All enthusiastically all spring he sent me PMs, "I think I have another customer for you." I was sketchy on the story, but apparently he owned every VW in Los Alamos see, and when he would sell one, he would recommend that the buyer employ my services. And in the end, we had three customers in addition to him. And, get this, they all seem to be friends too. On my last day there, we had a reunion of all the buses we got running:

My first customer was Peter, the owner of jtauxe's old Yellowbird 2, a pretty '77 Westy. Peter has a fine intelligence and a ready sense of humor (and a piano that I just had to play). Peter snagged a smooooth double-clutch and you could tell he would incorporate it into his driving:

My second customer was jtauxe himself, the owner of Bluebird, a righthand drive doublecab with a Type 4 engine:

jtauxe has a fine intelligence and a ready sense of humor (and a piano that I just had to play), and thankfully he also had a serious interest in geology with which to fill me in on my raging curiosity of the gorgeous landscape. Right in the hall . . . a relief map of the ancient volcano and the every gulch and gully that comprised the land around us. Here he surveys the reunion of his gathering Volkswagens:

My third customers, the Bowers, were jtauxe's parallel regret to mine of selling the BMW. They now own Yellowbird 1, a beautiful fresh clean and thoughtfully gadgeted '76 Westy.

All of us present wasted no time in reminding jtauxe of the rashness of his selling this car. The Bowers were inundated in VW maintenance and we also had a fascinating lunch conversation about taxes and healthcare (. . . and I got to play the Steinway). Mr Bower knocked out a smooth double-clutch downshift that you could tell lit up the lightbulb. Excellent pluck as he bravely braved valve adjustments and timing and fuel injection in the bright sun:

My last customer was Jim from Phoenix who drove up in a Ford F150 and a trailer to haul off Cassandra, jtauxe's other yellow '76 Westy. We were supposed to leave it alone, John! but the lure overcame us and we got it running the day before Jim arrived. And it was smooooth. And poor jtauxe . . . rue anew! "Maybe I should call it off," he mused. But no. Jim and I spent the day going through maintenance issues and we backed it onto the trailer and held jtauxe back as it rode away to its new life:

Honestly? Jtauxe has THE bus. This thing is remarkable:

I had an unexpectedly enjoyable couple of days. This Los Alamos gang is a bright bunch (musical too!) and I loved the conversations we had and the scenery was just gorgeous, and even my exit put on a heck of a show. . . next post. Thanks for bringing together all of these people John.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:36 am

Them's some sunshinin buses!
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:35 pm

What happened to the windshield of that one bus? ouch! deer?

Rather shocking to see so many yellow buses in one place, gotta say, but what a great place for a bus!
71 bus, 74 westy

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Ritter wrote:Them's some sunshinin buses!
Agreed. I love this picture!

Colorado next...woohoo! Let the IFBWax-induced-Colin-dreams begin. I'm hoping they'll involve more Bermuda shorts than cutoffs... :joker:
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:13 pm

It's a fleet of Tweetys!

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Birdibus wrote:What happened to the windshield of that one bus? ouch! deer?

Rather shocking to see so many yellow buses in one place, gotta say, but what a great place for a bus!
Vandalism! But it can be replaced easily enough.
It was like a mini-Maupin exit when these buses all fired up on Sunday and went their way.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Yup. We all had a great time with Colin -- my Bluebird and the flock of Tweeties. It was a great thing to see those who had had some reticence about getting too deep into their engine compartments changing to confident mechanics, proud of their machines. Pete, Richard, and Jim - I'm happy that these orange Westies have all gone to good homes. And Colin - thanks for all the education. I was only too happy to host!

On the last day, everyone just sort of magically showed up and we got a group photo or two:

John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:19 pm

jtauxe wrote: Image
This shot makes me think of a posse getting ready to head out to find a squareback rustler.
"Mount up, we're burnin' daylight!"
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....