A Lazy Afternoon of Air-Cooled Fun

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

A Lazy Afternoon of Air-Cooled Fun

Post by Lanval » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:25 pm

Met Colin at the local S'bucks on the way to work, and confirmed an afternoon half-day, and picked him up there at 2pm.

I've been working a lot, so Colin sat patiently while I changed into appropriate attire, and then peppered me with basic quiz questions.

There are a number of van-atics here where I live, include my good friend Nathanael (80 Vanagon) and his lovely lady Alia (79 Camper DeLuxe). Garnet who had two (2!) vans ~ and who recently lost the second to a seized engine. We all enjoyed a bit of conversation and shared air-cooled goodness, with a healthy dose of admonitions from the master who suffers neither fools nor low engine oil lightly.

A revisit of last year's work with a bit more hands-on by me had the old engine running much smoother, and was sandwiched between discussions about the nature of mankind, the state of the economy and the future of my van.

I saw the holy grail of air-cooled knowledge, and worried a bit that there isn't a copy preserved elsewhere in the event of trouble. Colin's book is as much art as it is knowledge, in the best sense of that phrase, and I await it's emergence with bated breath.

Alas, Colin couldn't be induced to stay for sustenance or pleasure ~ he left in the late evening sun headed north to meet up with Sluggo.

Travel on my friend, until we meet again ~ may the air-cooled gods watch over your path as carefully as you watch over us.

Lanval

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: A Lazy Afternoon of Air-Cooled Fun

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:10 am

Lanval wrote: We all enjoyed a bit of conversation and shared air-cooled goodness, with a healthy dose of admonitions from the master who suffers neither fools nor low engine oil lightly.

A revisit of last year's work with a bit more hands-on by me had the old engine running much smoother, and was sandwiched between discussions about the nature of mankind, the state of the economy and the future of my van.

~ may the air-cooled gods watch over your path as carefully as you watch over us.
Yes, and the windshield was cleaner than last year, but I had to ask after you washed it, "have you cleaned the windshield yet?"

The nature of mankind got me into a temper up here in LA, I have been accosted by homeless persons who made me hold my breath, there is no excuse for the suffering. This one crazed young man blasted into a 7-11 with a fine stench and pants that were pretty much falling off (no Calvins either) and was looking for a fight with the clerk, who was mild and respectful. I thought over the bonuses being paid out on Wall Street even through our tax-payer funded bailouts, and I thought, how shallow are the rationalizations for this state of affairs. How judgmental are those who know not of what they speak when it comes to motivation hard work family values morals and the like. I am sure Mr. Homeless would possibly have nothing or much to say about all of this, it does not matter, what he needed was a bath, damn it.

I hope the folks who you introduced me to show up here and introduce themselves, no fools they. This morning was a beautiful morning to . . .
I dunno, paint the scoops.

Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:39 am

Did you just shoot the scoops with a rattle-can, Colin?
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:47 am

bretski wrote:Did you just shoot the scoops with a rattle-can, Colin?
Yep. Carefully. After taping off the external painted surfaces and blocking the paths to the engine room from below.
Colin

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:50 am

What's that wire-looking thing in your right side scoop?
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:09 pm

Probably a speaker wire...like the ones that live in my scoops.

...and the rattle-can job looks nice, Colin. That's pretty much what I have planned for mine.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

nathan@el
Getting Hooked!

Post by nathan@el » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm

I also had a great time meeting Colin, and getting to talk with him and Michael about these wonderful vehicles that we have. I was impressed with Colin's knowledge (and especially his amazing book--wow!), and his extremely helpful nature.

Even though me and Alia were not "paying customers" on this day, he took the time to take a look at the engine in Alia's 78 bus and helped correct a few minor problems (and thanks Michael for the oil!). It is obvious that Colin truly cares about these vehicles and the people who drive them.

I will look forward to next year and will plan on spending a day with Colin working on my Vanagon. Good luck with the rest of your travels!
Orange 1980 Vanagon L Westy
~190,000 miles on body
~20,000 on engine

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:58 pm

dtrumbo wrote:What's that wire-looking thing in your right side scoop?
Tachometer wire borrows the rear window defogger harness . . . :flower:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:04 pm

nathan@el wrote:I also had a great time meeting Colin, and getting to talk with him and Michael about these wonderful vehicles that we have. I was impressed with Colin's knowledge (and especially his amazing book--wow!), and his extremely helpful nature.

Even though me and Alia were not "paying customers" on this day, he took the time to take a look at the engine in Alia's 78 bus and helped correct a few minor problems (and thanks Michael for the oil!). It is obvious that Colin truly cares about these vehicles and the people who drive them.

I will look forward to next year and will plan on spending a day with Colin working on my Vanagon. Good luck with the rest of your travels!
Welcome to the site! Look around, get embroiled in imbroglios, share your questions and experiences and photographs. We are a genteel and sophisticated bunch which is why it is quiet around here right now, I think they all are on August vacations in the Mediterranian or sumpin'.
ColinInPomonaSunshine

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:28 pm

Amskeptic wrote:We are a genteel and sophisticated bunch which is why it is quiet around here right now, I think they all are on August vacations in the Mediterranian or sumpin'.
ColinInPomonaSunshine
I wish. Did you misspell the name of that lovely sea on purpose?

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:37 am

nathan@el wrote:. . . It is obvious that Colin truly cares about these vehicles and the people who drive them.
Amen Brother Nathan@el :bounce:

. . and a warm welcome to the IAC forum - pls feel free to post pictures & a history of your bus, your garage or favorite curbside workshop and your favorite pub/watering hole etc etc!

nathan@el
Getting Hooked!

Post by nathan@el » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:55 pm

Thanks everybody for being so welcoming! I can tell that this is a wonderful forum already.

I'll tell you a little bit about myself, since people seem interested. I'm currently a graduate student at University of California, Irvine getting a PhD in sociology. My general interests are globalization/inequality, environmental sociology and the history of labor movements.

Aside from my academic interests, I love being outdoors. I spend a lot of time rock climbing, camping and hiking, which is the main reason that I bought my Van two and a half years ago.

I'm originally from Boston, but lived in Vermont for quite a while, did my undergraduate work at University of Oregon, and have been living in southern California for the past five years.

I'm lucky that there are several other people living very close by who also have an interest in air-cooled VW's (Michael of course being one of them), and have helped keep my van running and looking good over the years. Also, my girlfriend Alia recently acquired a 78 VW bus (Westy), which is a solid runner but needs a little attention here and there. So we are truly a VW family!

I'll post some pictures a little bit later, as soon as I upload them somewhere. Nice to meet everyone!
~190,000 miles on body
~20,000 on engine

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:13 pm

Welcome Nathan@el,

Yeah, we're genteel til you get us out in the outback with a bottle of hooch and some stringed instruments. then you better watchout...

Hope to hear about your bus journeys and tribulations I'm sure you will continue to have.

There's a smattering of this hodgepodge all over the country which makes for good info mining for adventures, good eats, and the occasional 'buy you a beer when your passing through..."

Oh, and

Vanagons Rock...

(unless you have to do any minor adjusting while your on the road with a bunch o' crap in the back that you have to unload to get to anything adjustable in there....whoo....take a breath....easy there big fella...It's ok, Vanagons still rock....)
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:09 pm

nathan@el wrote:
My general interests are globalization/inequality, environmental sociology and the history of labor movements.

!
:blackeye: be sure to visit the Free Speech Forum . . .

nathan@el
Getting Hooked!

Post by nathan@el » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Here are some pictures for those who are interested!

Alia hanging out in the van at Rainbow Family Gathering this year in New Mexico.

Camping in the California desert.

Joshua Tree--one of my favorite climbing spots.

Camping at Idyllwild California (in the mountains).

I just think this one is a cool shot.

Me at the wheel with my good climbing buddy Tobias.

Alia's Bus (on the day she graduated from CSUF!--BA, Anthropology).

And, for those who are interested, a random shot of me climbing at Joshua Tree.
~190,000 miles on body
~20,000 on engine