Itinerant Air Cooled Greetings From Northern California

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air Cooled Greetings From Northern California

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:30 pm

It was a beautiful welcome as I headed down Route 199 from Oregon to the famed 101:

My beloved heat gave way to that Pacific Ocean coldsink of barely 60* as I entered the Eureka area to visit airkooledchris, but the scenery was spectacular:

Highway 101 is a challenge of slow RVs and fast Porsche 911s and some sidewinds, but my bus was quite in the mood to join in on the downhills and developed some dark stripes on the outside tread blocks where the cornering loads had rolled the tires over. Here, I had braked severely from about 65 to the edge of the turnout. Had there been any misjudgment, not only would I not be here posting photographs, but there would be some news story buried in the local paper of a splatted bus-on-the-rocks:

After a fascinating day of airkooledchris Vanagon engine games, I headed immediately over to the heat of the Inland Empire via Route 36, a winding road of breathtaking hairpins and changes in elevation. We had endured a cloudy day of Pacific mist, and the cloud cover finally broke somewhere around 11:30PM as I climbed a hill and was treated to a primordial moonlit sillhouette of mountainside tree profiles and scuttling clouds and a remarkable milky mist filling the valley floors. With the heater keeping it cozy inside, I comfortably surveyed a landscape that could have been sub-freezing if not 80*. Finally shut it down around 1:00AM when even a hairpin curve coming up could not keep my attention. I pulled off into a large turn-out and enjoyed my first true silence in months, silence and moonlight . . . Restoration To The Soul.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Love it. Do you have one of the gas heaters or just the normal stock heating system?

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Re: Itinerant Air Cooled Greetings From Northern California

Post by Gypsie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Had there been any misjudgment, not only would I not be here posting photographs, but there would be some news story buried in the local paper of a splatted bus-on-the-rocks:

Finally shut it down around 1:00AM when even a hairpin curve coming up could not keep my attention. I pulled off into a large turn-out and enjoyed my first true silence in months. . . .
At least we have somewhat of an idea where you are heading in the event you don't post for a few days. We can begin the intynet searching for the splatted bus story.... :pirate:

You are the master of your destiny and have every right to drive until you cain't drive no more.

Just 'member the others who's destiny you may master with too much driving and not enough sleep....

Ok I'll stop now.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:09 pm

Sounds like a beautiful trip. Jennifer and I took that drive on our honeymoon in a Subaru WRX. Something I will never forget
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:26 pm

those are really beautiful pics. its funny, ive been here for 5 years now and only managed to snap one 'by the coast' pic with the vehicle, and it was earlier just this year.

[albumimg]2654[/albumimg]