Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Ground 0

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Ground 0

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 13, 2009 11:39 pm

It has been a week of infamy around here. Decided to pack my CV joints after 110,000 miles, and I invited Jeffrey and Z to join me with a repack of their own CVs and I would give them my boots which are still serviceable, and I would use the original German VW boots that came off the BobD when BobD decided he just had to have new ones because his were 23 years old or something. I asked if I could have his old ones which he graciously supplied me. Man they are beautiful and totally perfect.
Here are my totally disassembled axles:

They were looking pretty good at 577,000 miles. They are sloppy, the tracks are pitted and worn, but they are well-lubricated. Then Z offered to start cleaning all the bolts and lock washers and lock plates . . . for both my bus and theirs:

Just as she finished my CVs, Jeffrey was ready to dump his collection of bolts, lock washers and lock plates on her. Here he is coming up for air:

Look at that nice BobD CV boot. I'll bet it had no idea that its life was only beginning when it was taken off the BobD bus. It has no idea that just two years hence, it will have double the entire mileage of the last 31 years:

Did you notice the engine was not all together assembled? That's right, what a week. I decided to tear down my engine just a bit to have a look around at the Itinerant Scissorhands cylinder head and track down a little leak, but some issues came up . . . . . next post:
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu May 14, 2009 8:29 am

Hiya Colin,

So, when you reassemble the CVs on their halfshafts, do you include the concave washer? I'm thinking that VW later advised doing away with that little guy when rebuilding the CVs.

I cannot think of a messier job that CVs. It's always good to have another set of hands (or two or three or more for that matter) to get dirty also. Since I do all my work pretty much alone, I've bcome a "plastic wrap" kinda guy when repacking the CVs. That really helps get the grease into the balls and cage and keeps me relatively clean in the meantime.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Thu May 14, 2009 10:44 am

I wore double nitrile gloves on my hands. Helped my hands immensely. My arms and legs? Not so much. But goop worked for that pretty well.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu May 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Hiya Z,

Somebody recently commented that the skin on my hands was soft. Must have been because I had them covered with moly grease from doing the CVs.

That stuff goes everywhere though. I was under the Bug installing the CVs yesterday. Got the blinkin' stuff in my hair. The rest of the day I sported the Rudolph Valentino look.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Bookwus wrote:Hiya Colin,

So, when you reassemble the CVs on their halfshafts, do you include the concave washer?
Yes. I think they deleted it as a miserable cost-cutting measure. I have heard newer buses clonk their inner hubs along the splines. I have also seen shiny circumferences on the circlips, that do not appear on the thrust washered CVs.

What's your take?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles