The Itinerary Intermission

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

The Itinerary Intermission

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:55 am

I am sorry about this intermission, it was so not in my plans. I have been apologizing to my car every hour on the hour, as it just does what it always does, which is to drive serenely through thunderstorms and wind and passing trucks, engine locked in at 4,000 rpm, my friend still since I was 18 years old, just doing its thing. It is a weird and newly comforting thing to realize that this car has been an icon of my entire adult life. I have almost-but-not-quite taken for granted that this is still essentially an original car since new, and all of the latches and window cranks and dashboard and vent windows and knobs and steering wheel and heater levers and emergency brake cables and left rear wheel bearing and pressure plate, etc baby, have all been with me every day since I was a new autonomous adult entity driving this very car across the country to work for Phil on January 5th 1981. Phil was in his mature prime at the time, full of vinegar and impatience and also full of longing as we listened to Debussey's Apres-midi Du Faune on the beach in Santa Barbara, and now that man is gone, his old age came and went. I am now as old as Phil was the year I graduated from high school. I PM'd a member here, yet another member here who I am grateful to call a friend,
"Life is short, and it just doesn't seem so until you know so."
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:16 pm

Somehow, I could not picture you flying in an airplane and driving a rental car. Now the mental image is more substantial, a man alone on the road, inching slowly along an endless road, wide open by day, darkly tunneling through the night. Here a stop to fuel man and machine with gas and food, there a stop to fuel the political mind, and always, the grinding road and the trusted vehicle.
71 bus, 74 westy

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:17 am

zblair wrote:If you remove the characteristics of personality and focus on an itinerary that is still left to be accomplished, time would have our itinerant air-cooled mechanic saving some when possible. This time savings now appropos.
I am thinking it is about honoring the elder by emulating epic feats of long distance driving, sans high speed. A karma yoga, if you will.

entirely speculation

perhaps the drive is to an airport... I know nothing
71 bus, 74 westy