Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Casa Grande

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Casa Grande

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:23 pm

It is hot. Hot, hot, hot. I love it. 108* and a little humid too.
Car is running better than ever. I mean that. Smooth and quick enough with the trailing winds from the west to hold 70-75 in the heat like it just doesn't care. 21 mpg. Steering is lovely. I had forgotten how easy these cars are to steer when they return to center all on their own. Maybe my bus is trying to tell me that even if BobD Bus has joined the fleet, there is no other bus than the one I am driving. This is true. My Road Warrior shall always be the one to take to the road with nary a care:

Drove along the new border fence outside of Yuma. What an ugly shame, a criminal waste, a profound insult to our founding principles, an attack against the environment, a poorly thought-out idiocy. Took apart the front of the car's interior to look for my errant phone at an abandoned gas station island. Found it finally where I had put it, in the laptop carrying case. Availed myself, nonetheless, to wax all the paint under the seats and behind the partitions. Border Patrol pulled me over about 10 minutes later (and I had no time to get my shorts back on, so I sat there in my Calvins, my desert driving attire as shown here) :

"What were you doing back there?"
"Looking for my cell phone."
"How long were you looking for your cell phone?"
"Good God, I have no idea! I also waxed the paint under the front seats and behind the partitions!"
"Waxed. . . ?"
"I like a clean car! Look around! Look in the engine compartment too! You might find an illegal immigrant in there!"
He goes back purposefully to chat with his pal who comes out of the Blazer and indeed does open up the engine compartment.
"Holy cow! Look at that!"
The second guy jerks out of the Blazer and comes up.
"Man, he really was waxing under the seats if that is what his engine looks like. How's it do in the heat?"
"Car does fine, but it, like me, likes to keep moving."
"Are you having any health issues?"
"Not as long as I keep some airflow going."
"Well, sorry to delay you, sir. We have had a rash of illegals swapping cars with people who park in spots like you were in. Nice car, you really keep it nice, I like that. Good afternoon sir."
It is a little creepy here in the southwest with this ubiquitous presence of border agents all looking and looking for the people we invite to come here illegally so we can pay them sub-standard wages.
The afternoon light was gorgeous. If I had more time, I'd camp out here in Arizona:

But I am due just east of Dallas the day after tomorrow, so hit the road I must. 1054 miles to go.
Your Itinerant Air-Cooled host says, "remember to stay hydrated" :

Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:58 pm

Beautiful pictures! Good, good old road warrior!

Somehow I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the connection between the health issue question and the driving around in your underwear...do be careful. We don't want to have to bail you out. :blackeye:

RZAR
Getting Hooked!

Post by RZAR » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:05 pm

Your lucky they didnt tear your engine apart looking for illegals. :lol:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:54 pm

fabulous photo, reminds me of tribal cave art.
Yeah you can't ditch your bus. You know.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:16 am

RZAR wrote:Your lucky they didnt tear your engine apart looking for illegals. :lol:
Got stopped again today. This time was even friendlier.
"Dayam that's a nice van. How long you owned it?"
"Since 1979."
"Whoooaa, really?"
"Yeah, and I don't think I have ever been pulled over for speeding in it either."
"Oh no, we're not pulling you over or anything. We're the border patrol, just checking to see if you're carrying a load."
"Well, What sort of load, I've got tons of crap in here."
"No, we mean people load. What is that thing in the back?"
"A spare crankcase."
"That's an engine?"
"Yes, can I go?"
"Sure, sure, you got a license?"

This is feeling like WWII or something. "Papers, ve need papers."
All creepy.
ColinInElPaso
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:57 am

Oh now Colin, the small inconveniences you have experienced are NOTHING compared to the warm-blanket secure feeling you go to sleep with at night knowing that the border between The United States of America and Mexico is so secure!

You don't have to thank him, George W. Bush knows you love him for all the wonderful work he's done fighting The War on Terror!

:pukeleft:
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:21 am

They must know that it is a futile game.

Next time, ask them if they think that the numbers of available jobs for undocumented workers might diminish in some way if the execs of Tyson Foods, Armour Meat, et al., were jailed and their plants shut down each time workers without papers were found in their plants.

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:34 am

They are just a visual deterrent to make us feel all cozy and safe. When I was stationed in Germany during the first Gulf War I was on guard duty walking around the fence in the snow at 3 am with an unloaded M-16 then by day randomly pulling people over to the side as they entered the barracks to "inspect" their vehicle. They gave us a mirror on a stick and told us to open the hood look in the trunk to make a show of it. They never trained us at all.

Glad to hear you're on the way! I will begin hydrating for Ozzfest shortly, drive safe and see ya tomorrow :cheers:
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:17 am

Amazing and fascinating as always, Colin. You're the only adventurer/artist/ businessman/entertainer/philosopher/instructor I've ever met. Your blue bus should be installed in the Smithsonian.

Roll on! :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.