IAC Puzzlehand rebuilds birdibus carbs

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:38 pm

Birdibus wrote:
Laval, I tried to find that place once on google satellite map, but no luck. I've heard of it, and know they want us to make appointments. I saw a couple of engine fans on the samba for 15 and $20 (if they are any good). I wonder what Interstate wants. No hurry on that for now.
It's not the easiest place to find ~ I drove past it 2-3 times the first time I went, because it's set way, way back from the road. The only thing that marks it is a sign.

The prices are outstanding. At this point, I'm considering buying a running engine from those guys and rebuilding it. They've had several every time I went.

If I recall, it was $125 for a bare case. Other parts have been ridiculously cheap, and he will typically throw in the little stuff if I'm buying something which is relatively costly.

They are the best place to get any NLA part. Period.

Best,

Lanval

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:48 pm

dtrumbo wrote:
Birdibus wrote:This advice from Colin via PM:
Since PB Blaster will harm the brake linings, the best course of action is to remove the right rear wheel, remove the two 11mm bolts on the drum, and remove the drum. Then you can soak the adjusters with PB Blaster and remove them by prying the shoes out of the little slots and pulling the adjusters out of the anchor one at a time. Then you can clean the threads and apply grease to the threads and the outer surface of the star wheels where they rotate in the anchors. Then, when you reassemble, you can adjust the brakes easily henceforth.
ColinOnTheWayToTexas
As always, good advice. However, you need to be prepared for the possibility that you won't be able to get the drum off without backing the adjusters off to retract the shoes. Then you're back to square one if the adjusters are frozen.
I was just there, and I had to back off the star adjusters in order to get that drum off.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:38 am

chitwnvw wrote: I was just there, and I had to back off the star adjusters in order to get that drum off.
Her rear brakes were silly loose. I WAS JUST THERE TOO.
Colin :flower:

(hey BIRDIBUS, over here! if your left rear brake shoes ARE wet from a NEW wheel cylinder leak, you will be replacing all the rear brake shoes, so you can PB Blast the right side to free up the adjusters without worrying about removing the drum first. The left side has nice easy adjusters, so I see no problem getting the drum off to check the condition of the shoes and the wheel cylinder.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:21 am

A-OK, Colin.

If the cylinder leak is new, how do I determine that? Clean, and see if new fluid appears?

My rear brakes were worked on in 1996, shortly before the bus went down. Only six thousand miles on them. So, we aren't sure if the stain is from before that repair, or more recent. Maybe (probably) something corroded from age during the years.

It is lovely to have the engine running smoothly again. So much more peppy than the other bus. Thanks again, Colin! Soon, I will want to be driving it all the time. sigh... brakes!

When I went to put the old spark plug wires in a plastic bag (in case they are needed some day), one of them broke when I tried to bend it a little. Some of the rubber on the others is very stiff. I tossed a couple of them in the trash. So glad we put in new wires!
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:02 am

Birdibus wrote: If the cylinder leak is new, how do I determine that? Clean, and see if new fluid appears?
Yep.
Birdibus wrote: It is lovely to have the engine running smoothly again.
It was a personal goal of mine since February.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles