IAC visit to Sluggo

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

IAC visit to Sluggo

Post by Sluggo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:20 pm

Started my day before Colin arrived cleaning my new (to me) engine tin. As I was bitching about the mechanic at the place I got it I turned around and saw Colin standing behind me in my kitchen. Nice little surprise. Started with a little BSing about the world and then went to work on the Beetle.

We pulled my engine to discover an extremely leaky main seal and a very worn clutch disc that had acted as a sponge for all the oil being thrown around the bell housing. After scrubbing out all of the oil we put in the new clutch plate, disc and throw out bearing.

Then we went to the manifold and my intake leak. A bitch to get off and a bigger bitch to get on. We discovered the my heat risers were completely blocked. Luckily I had a new manifold at the other building. Bottomend & I took a nice ride to pick it up and an hour and a half later we were back in business. While I was gone Colin had sanded down the flanges. As I said, installation was an even bigger bitch. Getting the heat risers to line up with the after market muffler was a small nightmare. They had welded the right hand pipe to the muffler so it could not be bent out to meet the heat riser. NICE! We also added all new gaskets & boots.

Then we discovered that the mechanic had given me pre 68 cooling vanes so crossbar would not clear the dog house oil cooler. NICE! Colin figured out a way to rig them open so I could at least have air going in the right directions until I get the correct setup. Then we installed all the missing and/or bent to hell tin.

Finally got everything together and taken care of around 1:30AM. Colin crashed on the couch and was gone when I woke up. Departing as mysteriously as he had arrived.

The engine runs much smoother now and heats up much more quickly. I can't even begin to describe the difference in the clutch. It's like night & day. The mileage has improved also.

While we were at it Colin also told me how to adjust my rear toe in (tire is bald on the inside). I'll be doing that this weekend if I can find the time.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:02 pm

Sluggo, are you still migrating the pumpkin to the new bus? Or have you fallen for the new bus and so now have two projects? No shame. Not in this crowd.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:28 am

chitwnvw wrote:Sluggo, are you still migrating the pumpkin to the new bus? Or have you fallen for the new bus and so now have two projects? No shame. Not in this crowd.
Money and the current gas prices have me reconsidering what I should do with my project Bus. It still needs some bondo, welding & paint. After that I can do everything myself and transfer the Great Pumpkins parts over. But with the current gas prices I think things might start to go electric or other alternative and render my Bus that I just put all my money & energy into obsolete. :pale: Plus my shoulder is in fairly constant pain which will also slow down the process quite a bit. But then I'll jump in my '72 Bus, start driving and think "Wow! I JUST LOVE DRIVING THIS THING!"

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:43 am

Sluggo wrote:
chitwnvw wrote:Sluggo, are you still migrating the pumpkin to the new bus? Or have you fallen for the new bus and so now have two projects? No shame. Not in this crowd.
Money and the current gas prices have me reconsidering what I should do with my project Bus. It still needs some bondo, welding & paint. After that I can do everything myself and transfer the Great Pumpkins parts over. But with the current gas prices I think things might start to go electric or other alternative and render my Bus that I just put all my money & energy into obsolete. :pale: Plus my shoulder is in fairly constant pain which will also slow down the process quite a bit. But then I'll jump in my '72 Bus, start driving and think "Wow! I JUST LOVE DRIVING THIS THING!"
Not to steal the thread but I see your new Devo avatar. I happened to have seen them in SF in January. I was attending the Macworld event and purchased tickets to the Macworld concert and Devo was the group. Had been along time since attending a concert. They were an interesting group. Had videos going and they sure played loud. I guess my ears are getting old. hehehe. But they rocked.

tj
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:12 pm

amishman wrote:Not to steal the thread but I see your new Devo avatar. I happened to have seen them in SF in January. I was attending the Macworld event and purchased tickets to the Macworld concert and Devo was the group. Had been along time since attending a concert. They were an interesting group. Had videos going and they sure played loud. I guess my ears are getting old. hehehe. But they rocked.

tj
DEVO is a very under appreciated group. All anyone knows is Whip It and they had several records by the time that came out. They're one of those bands where the concerts are much better than the records. Always very visual and bizarre. I have the DEVOlution (De-Evolution) DVD and there is footage from their first concert around 1973 at a small college auditorium in Ohio. I love it because the whole audience looks confused and is just dead quiet aside from a few kids in the front who are rockin' out. Definitely an acquired taste. I have a particular affinity towards them because they were my introduction (through a very cool babysitter) to non-top 40 music. Them and Oingo Boingo (another very under appreciated band).

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:38 pm

Sluggo wrote:DEVO is a very under appreciated group....Definitely an acquired taste. I have a particular affinity towards them because they were my introduction (through a very cool babysitter) to non-top 40 music. Them and Oingo Boingo (another very under appreciated band).
Dude, I have every LP DEVO released and I saw them in concert too back in the day. I used to wonder if those guys were just very OCD or on their own mission because every single guitar lick and move onstage was exact and on the beat. All of them at once!

Ditto for the "Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo" which was how they used to bill themselves. Danny Elfman went on to write a lot of fabulous music, notably film scores and including the theme song to the Simpsons.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:55 pm

Mongoloid he's a mongoloid, one chromosome too many.

Mongoloid he was a mongoloid
Happier than you and me
And it determined what he could see
One chromosome too many
And it determined what he could see
And he wore a hat
And he had a job
And he brought home the bacon
So that no one knew
His friends were unaware
Nobody even cared

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWmf7r_37eA

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:57 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Mongoloid he's a mongoloid, one chromosome too many.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWmf7r_37eA
A Classic for sure. But don't forget my favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRguZr0x ... re=related

They tell us that
We lost our tails
Evolving up
From little snails
I say its all
Just wind in sails
Are we not men?
We are devo!
Were pinheads now
We are not whole
Were pinheads all
Jocko homo
Are we not men?
D-e-v-o
Monkey men all
In business suit
Teachers and critics
All dance the poot
Are we not men?
We are devo!
Are we not men?
D-e-v-o
God made man
But he used the monkey to do it
Apes in the plan
Were all here to prove it
I can walk like an ape
Talk like an ape
I can do what a monkey can do
God made man
But a monkey supplied the glue
We must repeat
O.k. lets go!

When I was a kid DEVO was the weirdest and most creative thing I had ever seen or heard. It was all downhill from there. :geek:

Back on topic. Car is running great! The meachanic is looking for the correct flaps for me now. Engine doesn't leak a drop since we replaced the main seal.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Back when videos were videos and men were men. Wait!, we are Devo.

That's weird,even today.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:47 pm

zblair wrote:
Sluggo wrote:DEVO is a very under appreciated group....Definitely an acquired taste. I have a particular affinity towards them because they were my introduction (through a very cool babysitter) to non-top 40 music. Them and Oingo Boingo (another very under appreciated band).
Dude, I have every LP DEVO released and I saw them in concert too back in the day. I used to wonder if those guys were just very OCD or on their own mission because every single guitar lick and move onstage was exact and on the beat. All of them at once!

Ditto for the "Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo" which was how they used to bill themselves. Danny Elfman went on to write a lot of fabulous music, notably film scores and including the theme song to the Simpsons.
And they won on the original Gong Show!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTRd1a5MVMw

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:51 pm

Ha Ha this reminds me of seeing "the Tubes" at polly pavillion in the "Ol Days" ever hear of them Sluggo?
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:48 am

DEVO, The Tubes, Oingo Boingo. Reminds me of when MTV was about music.
Remember the term New Wave?
Remember Paul Schaffer hosting New Wave videos on cable TV?
=D>

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:25 am

I love The Tubes! Great harmonies in many of their songs. Fee Waybill is a very talented songwriter.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:24 am

dtrumbo wrote:I love The Tubes! Great harmonies in many of their songs. Fee Waybill is a very talented songwriter.
"White Punks on Dope" used to be one of my favorite songs from The Tubes...Birdi, I bet we saw the same show at Pauley Pavillion! One of the few things I liked about UCLA..

You know Colin was in L.A., might have been around that time too?
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:15 am

I am getting ready to list my DEVO EZ LISTENING DISC on eBay.