Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Pahrump

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Pahrump

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:05 pm

It was a dumb wrong turn that made for a beautiful day. From Reno, I did not find my US95 south, but I did find US395 south. Sure, it led me back into $5.37 regular in some touristatrap, but a view like this does not come cheap (this particular shot made me think of a sunroof bus with skylight windows like those European trains, but it is just the position of the open door):

I did not know that US395 rose to 8,180 feet in California, but I do now, this is the Conway Summit just up the hill from touristatrap:

I found a lovely little dirt road and scooted up until I crossed a bridge over a mountain stream not 5 miles from snow melt. Walked through a sun-dappled grove of trees to a little pool and I can't tell you just how fine it was to actually take a drink of water from the fast-moving little brook. I don't think I have done such a thing in over 20 years. Such a beautiful simple natural thing that has all but left our experience. Then I stripped down and washed up in this freezing! water and air-dried in the sun. I do not believe I have enjoyed such a soul-nourishing simple moment since childhood.

Drove down US395 another hour or so and was warned that a "vista point" was coming up. Indeed it was:

Just below the windshield wiper was a road with toy cars and trucks on it:

Turns out that it was US395 south itself down there. So, for your enjoyment, a movie of driving down the hill, please take note of the apexes and exit set-ups:
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x133 ... Nevada.flv

And this is the view back up the hill from whence I came:

Now it is 100 degrees as I head east on CA168? to Nevada where I pick up US95 once more. And it was 102* on the long stretches up hill where the headwind began to make my little bus work too hard. The temperatures were startling:
Exhaust pipes L 822* R 812*
Oil filter 254*
Crankcase left rear corner 242*
Left valve cover 282* (ouch!)
Right valve cover 242*
Muffler 654* at center
Pavement 134* in the sun
. . . and the fool pump death rattle commenced after my engine temperature readings, buckity backfire city all over again.
So, here, along a culvert:

I replaced the fuel pump with the new Facet pump.
Seems to be working, but I am going to customize my heater valves to allow hoses, like the later buses, to exhaust the exchanger air at the bumpers. I will post pictures of that operation, but now. . . it is off to play the piano with new kerosene lamp wicks (no electricity and so devilishly hot in that trailer that I can only play between 11PM and 8AM). Poor piano. It and my bus could have a good cry in their beers, "ya think that's hot! I had such hot exhaust pipes that they were glowing dull red!" "Well you're metal, I have delicate old wood and felt from 1913 before your grandfather was even a thought. . ."

I miss my dad half to death being here again. Just one year ago, we were tuning the thing with an audience of flies.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Pahrump

Post by Quadratrückseite » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:42 am

Amskeptic wrote: So, for your enjoyment, a movie of driving down the hill, please take note of the apexes and exit set-ups:
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x133 ... Nevada.flv
Took me a moment to figure out what all of the lane changing was...then I realized I do the same thing myself in the mountains. Very NASCAR like. :geek:

Once again....all of this needs to be compiled into a road narrative!!!!
Enjoy your time with the piano. Your father would be proud.

- Steve
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:12 am

Safe travels....and don't go gettin' crazy out there in that desert!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Pahrump

Post by Ritter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:11 am

Amskeptic wrote:Walked through a sun-dappled grove of trees to a little pool and I can't tell you just how fine it was to actually take a drink of water from the fast-moving little brook. I don't think I have done such a thing in over 20 years. Such a beautiful simple natural thing that has all but left our experience. Then I stripped down and washed up in this freezing! water and air-dried in the sun. I do not believe I have enjoyed such a soul-nourishing simple moment since childhood.
There's nothing quite like jumping into a stream fed by snow melt--definitely lets you know you're alive (in the good way). You should treat yourself more often.

Glad you liked the 395/95 experience. I think its one of the prettiest drives I've ever taken.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

pj
Addicted!

My apologies to Mr. Kipling

Post by pj » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:57 am

Only mad dogs and mechanics go out in the midday sun.

My apologies to Mr. Kipling

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:02 am

RZAR
Getting Hooked!

Post by RZAR » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:39 am

I wish 395 was that awesome here in San Diego.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:28 pm

395 is a beautiful road all the way from Hesperia north to wherever it ends near Oregon. What an amazing view of the Sierra escarpment rising aburptly from the desert floor of the Owens Valley! And another high ridge of mountains line the valley on the other side. Hooray for the scenic route. That lake looks like Mono Lake. Environmentalists fought for years to save it as water levels dropped. Feeder streams were tapped to supply water to Los Angeles, but the water greed was destroying a unique and precious natural habitat. Much of the fresh water has been returned to the lake after court victories. A phrase I heard recently: In the West, whiskey is what you drink, and water is what you fight over.
71 bus, 74 westy

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:34 pm

Nice post Birdi.

Colin did that atlas I gave you in Jan be of any help for small off interstate roads? It was Natiional Geo `right? I need to buy a new one for future travels and would like to know? Thanks~ sorry you got lost where you had to bath in a stream ~ how Indian of you :pirate:

I went to Dave Deals house/studio sat. after Bruce Meyers house/shop also. Told you I was tring to reconnect w/positive folks. WOW -both have written books and Dave is working with Pixar on Cars 2- More to you latter on book suggestions- do not call it or put it in "Cook Book" format. Sales and publishers have a red flag to not touch. More later . Love Barb
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:42 am

As usual I enjoy the photos of your travels, it makes me feel like I'm somewhere else, and not sitting here in an office trying to look busy. Safe travels.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:07 pm

That's my favorite road in California! You were right where the secret hot spring of my avatar picture is.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:47 pm

covelo wrote:That's my favorite road in California! You were right where the secret hot spring of my avatar picture is.
It's not so secret now, is it? :blackeye:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!