Colin at hambone manor

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Colin at hambone manor

Post by hambone » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:15 pm

The sun cracked open like a giant egg, eager to sizzle and fry upon every Oregon tabletop. 8 AM, roofers scuttling about, Spanish flying about like darts and debris everywhere. But I am not daunted, Bus parked on the street under a lovely canopy of 2 trees thick with shade. Tools, parts lovingly aranged waiting for that famous Blue Bus. Then! The man appears, Bus slips by smooth as silk glistening in the morning orange. Colin it is good to see you again. Let's get to work.
I've known Colin socially for a few years now, but this is the first time I've hired him. (webster's says "cheap" pic of hambone you know how it goes) My first sense of Colin is calm. I asked him about it..and the experience with his dad has really sunk in, reprioritized what is truly important in this brief flicker we call life. Well, I think that sums up the feeling of the day. We were like 2 calm Buddha-beavers, working dillegently but with an ever prevading sense of calm for the 12 hour flash.
My Bus is an old gal. She's got rheumatism but a strong back, missing a couple fingers but can still play the piano. I was hoping the Docktor would be able to help. Yes.
After a quick Patient Consultation, we thoughtfully addressed what I hoped to accomplish. Then it was time to get greasy.
We replaced the transmission flange seal. Tricky but not as insane as Bentley would have you believe (step 1: obtain an orangatan. Step 2: you know). While we were there, Colin walked me thru repacking CVs. I've never been there, but not too different than front wheel bearing maintence.
Then came the fun. Replacing the L rear window with a 1-piece. I had an original VW window sitting in my garage for 3 years, figured it was about time to install it. I was delighted to find only a very small strip of surface rust under the old seal, but the vent window frame was a crumbly ferrous mess. Ordered a new seal from OEVeedub (OE VW part, nothing but the best, eh?). Nice meaty seal but guess what it didn't fit right. Didn't have the correct shape to fit around the curves so it was a manly struggle to get that window to fit. But neither hope nor tenacity was lost, and I assure you gentle reader that the noonday sun now smiles and kisses that very glass, bearing testiment to our fortitude and painful limbs.
Then, driveshaft installed circus-strongman-barbell style, new trans oil fed to the Geared Beast, it was time to change my wreck of a shirt and take a drive. No leaks! Smooth running. Colin also thoughtfully adjusted my steering, which feels much more responsive.
I had hoped to address 1,000 other major projects but, unable to slow time, they will have to wait. Some of my doors aren't aligned properly. The steering, though functional, needs a good mechanincal restoration. Engine endplay excessive, with some internal imbalance. I'll git to it.
So, with the afternoon shadows creeping down the block, it was time for that Blue Bus to slip along.
I'm tired, my hands and muscles ache as I sit here writing this. But Colin, at 9 AM is back at it, wrenching, cussing out a stubborn bolt, sharing his wisdom and knowledge with the next customer. I don't know how the man does it, but feel very fortunate indeed to be part of the IAC.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:12 pm

Colin enjoyed the weather I'm assuming. It probably ups his metabolism.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:49 pm

Oh yeah. Me too.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:04 pm

I thought that little vent in the rear drivers side window was integral for air flow. Doesn't it get stuffy and hot for those sitting in the rear seat?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:35 pm

Wow!! That rear window channel is pristine!! Glad that yer beautiful bus got even more love, yers is one of my favorite buses. Strange that there is an engine imbalance...sounded REALLY smooth to me. Excessive endplay, what what what? I must be in the same boat then, happy sound and feel to the engine but indicators that the engine is a little beat?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:39 pm

Ode to Joy ~ Hambone ~ B side reflector in mail on tues.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:53 pm

OMG! You had tear-off roofers during your Itinerant visit??!! Thank goodness for shady street trees. I'm glad you were able to zen through it. Sounds like a good visit.
chitwnvw wrote:I thought that little vent in the rear drivers side window was integral for air flow. Doesn't it get stuffy and hot for those sitting in the rear seat?
It's OK if there is a louvered or sliding window in the center. I had to seal my wing window due to leakage, but it's not a problem because I have a camping style window. But, yeah, stifling if there is no ventilation in the rear.
71 bus, 74 westy

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:09 am

I got one of them vent windows back there. I hate it. Open it and the driver gets a draft right on the back of the neck. OK in the hot summer, a pain in the neck in cold weather. I like sliders.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.