Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Oh these gas prices. . . .

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 27, 2008 11:35 am

You can't imagine.
Every 100 miles is costing $20.00.
So if I drive 300 miles in a day, that is $60.00.
If I have to squirt from Chicago to Missoula MT, as a hypothetical,
let's say between, I dunno. . . June 8 and June 11,
we have 1,560 miles and that is $312.00 right thar (as much as I spent to cross the entire country in 1980 in 6,000 miles of meandering).
Colin
(I really might have to consider a surcharge before I get too deep into this thing, I mean you all can drive a little less to tighten your belts, I can't. All three customers to this point have bless'em thrown me an extra alm to Exxon, comments?)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Tue May 27, 2008 11:41 am

I'm cool with a surcharge. $20, $40, $60? I dunno. You've got a lot of us out on the west coast, but it costs a bit (read: a lot) to get out here.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 27, 2008 11:59 am

Since I was so "noble" as to proudly proclaim solidarity with the struggles of the modern American middle class by holding my prices steady from last year only to find that costs have really jacked up, I think I should split the surcharge in half so I take a little hit while you do too. Last year I averaged $3.00/gallon and it looks like $4.00+ this year. 33% increase in 1/3 of my overall expenses comes to about 10% of the $380.00 per visit, so $38.00 halved and rounded up is . . . . . . . . $20.00 which happens to be the average of my first three calls' overpayments. Comments?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Re: Oh these gas prices. . . .

Post by chitwnvw » Tue May 27, 2008 12:02 pm

Amskeptic wrote: If I have to squirt from Chicago to Missoula MT, as a hypothetical,
You can stop at the Wooded Wonderland with MattG and pass the hat around. It's on the way. :thumbright:

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue May 27, 2008 12:07 pm

From day one I had intended on rounding up the $280.00 balance due to $300.00 anyway. No problem with me. I can go a little more if (when) things get really bad.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue May 27, 2008 1:46 pm

You can't imagine.
we have 1,560 miles and that is $312.00 right thar (as much as I spent to cross the entire country in 1980 in 6,000 miles of meandering).
Colin
Ready for hydrogen booster yet ??

If not, you can start out with 2oz acetone per 10 gall or 1.5oz mineral spirits/10 gall (approx)...that should get you at least 10-15% improvement in mpg
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue May 27, 2008 1:54 pm

My local GM stealership charges out mechanics at $100 per hour. And that's with a sign on the shop door that says "No Customers Permitted"

You offer wrenching AND education. A ten hour shift at $100 per hour works out to.... (think, think,calculate, calculate...) You're an incredible value IMHO. Always remember the call of the wild freelancers: UP YOUR RATES! :cherry:

Besides, everyone's charging a "fuel surcharge" these days, even cruise ships.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Post by tractoman » Tue May 27, 2008 2:19 pm

I don't think $20 is unreasonable for what you are doing. I had planned on the extra Jackson just for gas anyway. With about 40 stops that only gives you $800 for gas. You won't get 6000 miles on that unless you put up a sail or something.
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue May 27, 2008 2:45 pm

It's 4000 miles, which is a step in the right direction.

pj
Addicted!

I'll kick in a few bucks if you promise to:

Post by pj » Tue May 27, 2008 3:55 pm

Wear some decent clothes, those shorts are an affront to my Mennonite upbringing. If you need help in this, look up Amish active wear on the net.:)

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue May 27, 2008 5:23 pm

We'll be happy to add $$ to your gas tank when you are in our neck of the woods Colin. I don't think what you're asking is unreasonable at all.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Tue May 27, 2008 5:48 pm

glasseye wrote:My local GM stealership charges out mechanics at $100 per hour. And that's with a sign on the shop door that says "No Customers Permitted"

You offer wrenching AND education. A ten hour shift at $100 per hour works out to.... (think, think,calculate, calculate...) You're an incredible value IMHO. Always remember the call of the wild freelancers: UP YOUR RATES! :cherry:

Besides, everyone's charging a "fuel surcharge" these days, even cruise ships.
Of course those dealerships also have to pay for a building, for insurance, for diagnostic tools, for recurrent training, for employees, health insurance, etc, etc, etc. As far as "No Customers Permitted," that's direct from the insurance company, and good business practice. First dumbshit consumer that trips over his own feet in the shop is a lawsuit waiting to happen, plain and simple.
By no means am I trying to take away from the amazing service that Colin provides, but it certainly can't be compared to taking your modern vehicle in for service. Ever try to follow some of those diagnostic flowcharts to fix a check engine light? They go on for days. Colin knows his shit, and provides his service for an amazingly low cost, but to compare what he does to what a flat rate technician has to do to earn a living is apples and oranges. Sorry to go off on a rant......

Colin, I think a fuel surcharge is more than fair. You just can't predict where the prices are going to end up this summer, or anytime in the future. Trying to hold the line on your prices is commendable, but you shouldn't be paying out of your own pocket to make your yearly cross country journey.

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Tue May 27, 2008 5:49 pm

That sounds more than fair to me...
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Wed May 28, 2008 8:01 am

dingo wrote:
You can't imagine.
Colin
Ready for hydrogen booster yet ??

If not, you can start out with 2oz acetone per 10 gall or 1.5oz mineral spirits/10 gall (approx)...that should get you at least 10-15% improvement in mpg
Have you tried this? I'm thinking about doing it.
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Wed May 28, 2008 8:27 am

Have you tried this? I'm thinking about doing it.

yes ive been doing it for years. Acetone is the most common...youll have to experiment as what amount works best for you...differs for different vehicles, models etc..but approx 2-3 oz per tank. It raises the octane, so you dont want too much, or the effect is lessened. Others that work too: mineral spirits, MEK, WD-40 and of course, Colemans.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."