Oh these gas prices. . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu May 29, 2008 8:12 am

What about a small percentage of the donations to the forum go to help you with yer gas? Even 10% wouldn't hurt? Of course I have never seen the "books" so I don't know how much comes in or if it would even be viable.

Just a thought.

Er drive the squareback next time :blackeye:

DOH!!!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Thu May 29, 2008 8:14 am

Amskeptic wrote:
byproxy wrote:uh, colin? i just heard we could be paying $5 a gallon by mid-summer.

doesnt that sound just awful? how will you ever manage? i dont think its possible. it would be reaaalllly hard to do.

cindy 8)
My vaunted intuition, some would call it Psychic Ability, tells me there is a tad vested interest here. . . .
I would have to just cancel the itinerary if the price of gas skyrocketed to such an alarming degree. . .
I would end up sleeping until noon, sitting and scratching on the couch in my tanktop and underwear watching loud game shows and belching Diet Coke while spilling hideous orange cheese doodles all over the carpet, "yeah I WENT through the classifieds couldn't find NUTHIN quit NAGGIN me, socks on the floor never hurt nobody, would ya get outta my FACE?? I can't hear the TV."
Colin :blackeye:
as long as you wash the dishes . . .
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu May 29, 2008 8:43 am

Raising octane merely slows the burn. It does not yield greater calories out of the fuel. So my question to you is, does your recipe add calories or slow the burn?
Increases vaporization and surface tension. Octane aside was comment that adding too much brings you back to square one .
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Thu May 29, 2008 9:05 am

glasseye wrote:The gas price runup: everyone knew it was coming (peak oil) nobody knew it would arrive so quickly. We'll all get used to it in time, but big changes are on the way.
I actually expected it last summer.

At any rate, $20 is a small increase. I'd be happy even with $40.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Thu May 29, 2008 9:20 am

glasseye wrote: The IAC gas surcharge: I'm amazed that it's so small. $20 seems like not enough, given the change in fuel price over last year.
=D>
Spiffy wrote: What about a small percentage of the donations to the forum go to help you with yer gas? Even 10% wouldn't hurt?

Just a thought.
=D>
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu May 29, 2008 9:44 am

spiffy wrote:What about a small percentage of the donations to the forum go to help you with yer gas?
The more Colin travels about the country and experiences more and more of these wonderful vehicles and the 1,000,001 issues that we'll all face eventually, the better off we'll all be by being privy to his vast and still-growing knowledge. It's in the best interest of all of us that he be able to continue to do what he does. Obviously, those of us with personal visits could/should bear the lion-share of the burden, but as long as Sluggo's costs are covered, I think the balance (if there is any) could be used to help him out as much as possible. The IAC forum donations, as well as his personal visits are strictly voluntary so I don't see a problem with it. Please, if anyone has a dissenting opinion, please share.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:02 pm

surcharge seems like no biggie to me.

youuuuuuur parrrrrrrrttttttttt of the fammmmmmmmmillllllllly anyway.
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 29, 2008 3:55 pm

glasseye wrote:The gas price runup: everyone knew it was coming (peak oil) nobody knew it would arrive so quickly. We'll all get used to it in time, but big changes are on the way.

The IAC gas surcharge: I'm amazed that it's so small. $20 seems like not enough, given the change in fuel price over last year.

The couch potato: sounds good to me. :drunken: "Where's my clean SOCKS?"
I wrote about this thing in 2004. Velokid1 tipped me off. I was all panicky and said that I would not do the itinerary if crude hit $100.00 per barrel because the entire Western economy would begin to fold like a house of cards. Well, I was loath to listen to my own counsel, and indeed, inflation and devaluation is going to smack us around. The $20.00 is half of what I need, but we are splitting it.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 29, 2008 3:56 pm

spiffy wrote:drive the squareback :blackeye:

DOH!!!
Ya know, I just might have to . . . . this time.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu May 29, 2008 8:41 pm

Sounds fine to me Colin, but I'll have to reduce your coffee alloweance to only two pots.. and your Diet Coke allotment to only one 12 pack to recoup my losses. :tongue:

Can't wait to see ya!!!
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:46 am

We don't have the gas lines we had in '74, no rationing, no gas stations running out of gas. There was a true shortage back then due to the OPEC embargo. Whats is this peak oil shtuff. There's plenty of oil. Rich folks and people trying to become rich are speculating on oil, that is what is driving oil prices up. Maybe the whole peak oil scenario was something dreamed up by some clever speculators to simply drive the price of crude up by panicking the populace into buying futures, that they were trying to sell. Peak oil is a marketing scam on a grand scale!

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Fri May 30, 2008 7:26 am

vdubyah73 wrote:We don't have the gas lines we had in '74, no rationing, no gas stations running out of gas. There was a true shortage back then due to the OPEC embargo.......
We don't have gas lines because we don't have price controls. We had them then because we did. If you try to fix a price below the market-clearing level, you guarantee a shortage; the law of supply and demand is as certain as the law of gravity.

Anyway, back on topic. Colin, I was just thinking last night about how much I should add to your fee to help with the increased fuel costs. I'll pony up the full difference, we can discuss when you get here.

It's only fair to share the burden, but the nit-pickers are on firm legal ground, in that sending you a deposit confirmed a contract at a fixed price. Just remember that contract also covers a fixed number of hours, and a reasonable pace of work. :wink:

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Fri May 30, 2008 8:05 am

hippiewannabe wrote: It's only fair to share the burden, but the nit-pickers are on firm legal ground, in that sending you a deposit confirmed a contract at a fixed price. Just remember that contract also covers a fixed number of hours, and a reasonable pace of work. :wink:
I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who feels that anything extra is overstepping any legal ground, but I just have to say that in the real world things are rarely perfect. A little bit of compassion and compromise go a long way in my book, especially when you are talking about (what I think most would agree) is a nominal amount.

In all fairness, Colin did ask for feedback and agreed to split the difference. I don't know about y'all, but 20. will not fill any gas tank of any vehicle we own, not even close. We'll probably have to twist his arm to do it, but we're gonna fill his tank regardless of what that cost will be. Just wanted to add my two cents here.

And BTW, Costco here sells cases of Diet Coke in the can for 7.90 per case. :cherry:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:35 am

Gasoline went from .32 a gallon in 73 to nearly $2.00 in 1978 there was a shortage then there is not one now. The Gov't made it worse by not allowing old oil to be priced competively. Old oil is oil that is already drilled and pumping. New oil is new wells that have just recently been opened. The oil producers sat on old oil and simply pumped the heck out of new wells to make the extra cash. There is no shortage, people like us that live within a small budget will conserve. The people making $100,000 or more a year will simply complain and keep filling their tank when they need it. Myself, gas prices haven't really stopped me from buying gas or made me stay home instead of having a life. They have however made my right foot a little lighter when I'm in the Buggy. That thing is so fun, its easy to burn $20 in gas playing around in the afternoon. Glad I don't own a Boat with a 200 HP V8 anymore.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri May 30, 2008 9:19 am

With all the whining I've heard about high fuel prices, I see no change in highway speeds. I'll believe it's really starting to hit home when I see people travelling the speed limit.

There's my sixty-year-old's curmudgeon comment for the day. :cyclopsani:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.