Itinerary As Of 10/25/08

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon May 12, 2008 8:04 am

Amskeptic wrote: Yes. But I will have to also consider my expenses carefully. A 200 mile detour down from I-90 for example, will cost me 400miles/20mpg 20 gallons @ 3.90 = $78.00 right there.
Colin
Understood. I can always put my sales-hat on and rustle up another customer or two, if necessary...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 12, 2008 8:47 am

bretski wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: Yes. But I will have to also consider my expenses carefully. A 200 mile detour down from I-90 for example, will cost me 400miles/20mpg 20 gallons @ 3.90 = $78.00 right there.
Colin
Understood. I can always put my sales-hat on and rustle up another customer or two, if necessary...
Not if I don't have time, young bretski. . . and time is tight on the east-west traversal . . . :cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwdreamBayb
I'm New!

I didn't hear a bell?

Post by vwdreamBayb » Mon May 12, 2008 9:34 pm

umm. What bell?

You will be happy to know I successfully fixed the pedal all by myself :cheers: :cheers: and prior to receiving your reply. Which was right on. :cheers: :cheers:

So August 1 it is. Whatever works for you. You gonna have time to chill?

Do you remember what size jets we need?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: I didn't hear a bell?

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 13, 2008 6:32 am

vwdreamBayb wrote:umm. What bell?

You will be happy to know I successfully fixed the pedal all by myself :cheers: :cheers: and prior to receiving your reply. Which was right on. :cheers: :cheers:

So August 1 it is. Whatever works for you. You gonna have time to chill?

Do you remember what size jets we need?
Oh it was the May 7th Deposit Deadline. A date designed to corral the herd into committing to a visit, and the day I had to disassemble my temporary office in Austin TX and stuff it back into the Squareback.

Congratulations on the pedal fix. Every time I successfully pull off a little repair, it makes me bond more with my chariot. . .

Your appointment date is scheduled between Sluggo on the 30th of July and my family reunion on the 3rd of August. Leash me to the bumper and I can chill briefly.

Jets, 1972 1700 34PDSIT 2/3 carb? I think mains are 132.5, pilots are 55, air correction aw heck, it's in the book, I'll look them up and be sure to have them when I arrive. Hans must have more power before I leave. That is my fervent praaaayer.
Colin

vwdreamBayb
I'm New!

beach

Post by vwdreamBayb » Tue May 13, 2008 5:58 pm

Sounds good. I trust your judgement on any parts needed just let me know if I need to get anything for you on my end.

I might reserve a camping spot by the beach over here for the night of the 1st. What do ya think? I know its not like 'camping'? but they have wireless. and an ocean. U interested?

Should I send you a deposit over paypal or something? Sorry i am not really up to speed. Me molesta computadoras. :dark1:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: beach

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 15, 2008 2:26 pm

vwdreamBayb wrote:Sounds good. I trust your judgement on any parts needed just let me know if I need to get anything for you on my end.

Should I send you a deposit over paypal or something? Sorry i am not really up to speed. Me molesta computadoras. :dark1:
No me gusta el idiocy de las computadoras tampoco, pero whaddyagonnado?

I will take care of the carburetor parts. On your end, a roll of paper towels and a can of GumOut and a pan or plastic shallow bucket or sumpin will let us clean/rebuild as required without melting the asphalt off the driveway.
Colin

rastafoo
I'm New!

hi

Post by rastafoo » Fri May 16, 2008 8:47 pm

Janis(73 riviera) and I are in tallahassee fl. if you ever need a place to stay.......keep up the good work, what you are doing is a service to mankind. =D>
He's NOT the messiah - he's a VERY NAUGHTY BOY!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: hi

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:49 pm

rastafoo wrote:Janis(73 riviera) and I are in tallahassee fl. if you ever need a place to stay.......keep up the good work, what you are doing is a service to mankind. =D>
Thank-you. Like my prompt reply? This is a bump, too.
ColinInWashington

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:51 pm

And another bump with a testy little rant to go along with it. Understand that this general purpose rant is directed at no individual on this forum in any past tense. I had as much responsibility to declare my needs up-front as anyone has a responsibility to react henceforth.

If you want to utilize my time effectively, do what you can in the name of both organization and cleanliness. I will not put an engine together if there is crud all over the parts, fasteners, work bench, and the car in which the engine or whatever goes.

Do NOT be fooled by the filth that you greet when you take out your hard-working engine that has finally succumbed. Just because you need a shovel to get rid of accumulated grime and leaves and chunks of baked-on oil, does not mean that the critical internal parts have been living in that filth. The entire internal area of a healthy engine has no particles bigger than ten microns or whatever the oil filter media is able to filter out. Carbon may blacken the internals, sludge may be gooped in the crankcase, but only if you have had a grenaded engine event where stuff broke at high speed will you have anything over .001" in the case. If, in the case of a simple valve adjustment, you slap a grimy paw on the dirty floor and then reach into the valve/rocker area, you will be treated to a reprimand. If you have a rocker assembly out and place it anywhere other than in a valve cover or on a clean paper towel on a clean work bench above and away from all other contaminants, you will be treated to another reprimand. This is not silly obsessive compulsive disorder on my part. The correct tolerances in an engine are on average just 3 thousandths of an inch. Any grit bigger than half that will score journals and bearings and oil pump gears and crank/cam teeth and will deposit in the soft metal of the bearings which will irritate them (like sand in your eye) for thousands of miles while shortening the life expectancy of the engine noticeably.

If you would like me to participate in building your engine up, please have all parts spotlessly clean (and that means bolt holes and threaded studs or nuts too, you do not want to poke a bolt through a filthy hole only to deposit crap on the perfectly clean flange that is about to get assembled)and organized with a work environment that has been cleaned and well-lighted. If you do not. . . you will watch me clean and organize for $38.00/hour. I can and have jumped right in on any disassembled engine and I can get you going so long as all parts are accounted for (you don't have to know what they are or where they came from, but they have to be there).

These engines are precision mechanisms, do not get casual because your car happens to look tattered or rusted or chaotic. I will apply absolute top-drawer assembly discipline to any VW engine set in front of me, be your car a show stopper or a daily driver beater. It takes me two days at the minimum to clean all of the engine parts. You do not want me to do that on your dime.

Scrape crud off without scratching paint or parts. Then use GumOut carb spray + toothbrush all aluminum and steel parts that do not have paint. Then wash with hot very soapy water and dry diligently. Then insert in plastic bags if that is your organizational way. You can put every part in the dryer and turn it on and dump them all in a pillow case and I will be able to assemble your engine, so don't go nuts with plastic bags and labelling for me, do it for yourself as you see fit.

I use GumOut brand SPRAY carburetor cleaner for an extremely specific reason. Do not coast with a generic. These carb spray formulas have varying solvent/lubricant proportions, GumOut is excellent for cleaning engine parts. Berryman's is way too harsh.

Expect and welcome the abrupt learning curve that is coming your way. This sort of project with its discrete steps and complexity and demands, is challenging in all good ways. The process from filthy dead engine to clean properly assembled engine is a magnificent metaphor for personal growth.
If your chaotic sloppy house and garage need a little hygienic space carved out for this kind of painstaking clean engine work, welcome it. Do not disparage it as compulsive nit-pickiness. You can ask Z and Jeffrey Blair about how I left the kitchen sink cleaner than when I began, how I vacuumed the garage after using the grinding wheel, how the oil drain pan was cleaned spotless throughout the overhaul because you can use the cleanliness of the pan to spot how you are doing with the parts you are cleaning.
Clean is good! Love life!
Colin

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:59 pm

Wow.

Hey dhoch14 good luck with the 2nd half!

-John
Keep it acoustic.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:28 pm

You're doing engine building are ya'?

Hypothetical. If I was to give you a pile of perfectly clean parts, how many days do I need to book you to assemble them?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:34 pm

chitwnvw wrote:You're doing engine building are ya'?

Hypothetical. If I was to give you a pile of perfectly clean parts, how many days do I need to book you to assemble them?
Two.
Col

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:05 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Two.
Col
I'll get it together.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:55 am

My dad told me a story long ago about Ford. They were having trouble with premature engine wear and eventually tracked it down to a specific build bench in the assembly line. As he worked, one mechanic was continually wiping his hands on his dirty overalls.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:43 am

chitwnvw wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: Two.
Col
I'll get it together.
What? Who? When? Where? How? Why?
Colin