Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Let's Review. . . . .

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:05 am

hippiewannabe wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: Poach ....
There is no question TheSamba was your best source of fresh customers. After all that's happened, it probably can't be like it was in the Bay Window Forum.

"like it was", I do not want to return to. Perhaps a dry technical visit to the Baywindow forum occasionally, but no longer shall be displayed my winsome, refreshing, insightful yet gentle, brilliant yet accessible, wise but humble personality :pukeleft:
hippiewannabe wrote: How about we start a thread in the Buyer and Seller Feedback Forum? We can space out our posts to keep it bumped near the top.
How would you prompt such a thread? Spontaneous recountings of completed appointments over the summer? I was thinking of using PMs to posters who appear dazed and overwhelmed with their issues over the next few months so I can stick them in to the itinerary up-front where I have a chance to design a "logical" circuit around the country.

I appreciate your inputs, I think I am going to have to focus on a rather disciplined itinerary this summer.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:36 am

I'd advise against a S*mba thread, there are too many with personal angry agendas with no basis in reality. Bad for health and bizness.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:44 am

Hiya Colin,
Amskeptic wrote: I was thinking of using PMs to posters who appear dazed and overwhelmed with their issues over the next few months so I can stick them in to the itinerary up-front where I have a chance to design a "logical" circuit around the country.
Colin, you do have a way with words and you can be persuasive. However, I would point out that your making contact with a prospect in this manner may have some negative overtones to your potential customer. You know, "Ding-dong........Good morning, how'd you like to buy some encyclopedias?" Internal sales defenses go up.

But word-of-mouth advertising is the strongest form of publicity. Perhaps a couple of IAC forum members could scan the TS forums and make the initial contact. Invite the prospects over to the IAC, get to know Colin, etc.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:46 am

hambone wrote:I'd advise against a S*mba thread, there are too many with personal angry agendas with no basis in reality. Bad for health and bizness.
I like to revisit though. I do visit the Type 3 forum sometimes. If I keep it All Business Dry, I'd like to think that things have actually changed. I spied a thread where I was grouped with an august list of Samba alumni who had chosen to depart in the name of Adulthood, and the poster was asking, "why do we drive off people who might actually know what they are talking about?"

This place is where I can breathe amongst friends.
I can hold my breath over there :colors:
Colin
(bidniss might demand that I stretch a little Hambone, I've been financially clobbered over the past couple of months)

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:15 pm

Here's a wild (and maybe stupid) idea.....

How about a paid advertisement of your services on TS? If done in the right way, it could be effective....
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:37 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
hippiewannabe wrote: How about we start a thread in the Buyer and Seller Feedback Forum? We can space out our posts to keep it bumped near the top.
How would you prompt such a thread?
If you approve, I will post the following right now:

Subject: Traveling Air-Cooled VW Mechanic Planning 2008 Tour
Body: Some of you may have heard of Colin (screen name "Amskeptic"), whose business is "Air-Cooled VW Consulting". If you want to learn how your VW works, learn how to work on it yourself, get some actual repairs made, and have engaging conversation in the process, then a 1/2 day or full-day visit from Colin is just what you need!

Speaking from experience, it's a great investment in yourself and your VW. For more info, check out Colin's web site at:
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com

Then, others can chime in with their replies about what a good experience it was.....

Colin, you should post something in the "Services" forum on TS if you haven't already....

Also, I will make sure to mention your services in the next article I submit to the VWCA club rag, but that won't be in mailboxes until around the beginning of April.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:49 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
How would you prompt such a thread?
If you approve, I will post the following right now:

Subject: Traveling Air-Cooled VW Mechanic Planning 2008 Tour
Body: Some of you may have heard of Colin (screen name "Amskeptic"), whose business is "Air-Cooled VW Consulting". If you want to learn how your VW works, learn how to work on it yourself, get some actual repairs made, and have engaging conversation in the process, then a 1/2 day or full-day visit from Colin is just what you need!

Speaking from experience, it's a great investment in yourself and your VW. For more info, check out Colin's web site at:
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com
Yeah, like that, but maybe even a little less promotional; just a straight forward report like they do about any other transaction.

"Joe Schmoe gave me great service and the part was in good condition"

"I invested in Amskeptic's services, and it was money well spent. For far less than the cost of a regular mechanic, he came right to my house and taught me all about my bus while we fixed it together."

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:21 pm

I just sent a pm to the poster of this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... 71#2784271

He (or she) seems like someone that is in desperate need of a day of Colin's sage advice and teachings.

I think if we just spread the love, we can do a lot of good here.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Well, now that the rants are gone it just might work...no place for venom to sit.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:23 pm

Hiya All,
LiveonJG wrote:I just sent a pm to the poster of this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... 71#2784271

-John
Good man John...............and behold the power of word-of-mouth........
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:11 pm

Amskeptic wrote:...I appreciate your inputs, I think I am going to have to focus on a rather disciplined itinerary this summer.
I think it's great you're starting to treat your business more like....a business. You've shown you can travel the country, have fun and meet people while having your expenses covered. I'm confident you can take it to the next level and actually make some money. You'll have to embrace capitalism, but it will be worth it. It's a lucky man that can make a living doing something he loves. Spreading the joy of ACVW will still be an ancillary benefit of your travels, you just have to trust that it will happen along the way even while you are coldly analytical about the finances.

Let's start with an ad in the TheSamba Classifieds Services section. You're no better or worse than any of these guys:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=49

You have a great value proposition, and should proudly suggest that the world pay you for it. It will pair nicely with the Buyer and Seller feedback thread.

Your superb record keeping has screamed the obvious: fuel costs dominate the profit calculation. Add a bit for mileage-dependent maintence, and variable travel costs are probably $.25 per mile. That means it's silly to drive 500 miles for a gig. Conversely, cooling your heels for an extra night at Motel 6 is cheap if it means picking up another job in the same area.

You have to ruthlessly regionalize, and not bounce around the continent. Ohio-Michigan-Illinois, not Ohio-Oregon-Arizona. If you have to hang with TFDB, Sage and me for a few days in Michigan while you wait for the next state to come online, well, it could be worse. If nobody near Velokid signs up, call it a personal vacation or call it off.

In addition to insurance, you might also want to incorporate. Besides the beautiful irony of you not only working for a corporation but owning one, it puts a wall between any potential liability problems and your personal assets.

This is going to be fun!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:43 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:Let's start with an ad in the TheSamba Classifieds Services section. You're no better or worse than any of these guys:
Better. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . am too.
Colin :cyclopsani:
(ad has been posted)

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:27 pm

Amskeptic wrote:(ad has been posted)
[albumimg]1693[/albumimg]

Hey, I know that bus! I wish the guy who bought it hadn't fallen off the face of the earth, I'd like to know what happened to it.

Nice ad, did you go for "Featured" status, so it stays on top and shows up on the home page?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:30 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:
Nice ad, did you go for "Featured" status, so it stays on top and shows up on the home page?
I did not. I should.
Colin

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:08 am

Hiya Colin,
Amskeptic wrote:
hippiewannabe wrote:
I did not. I should.
Colin
Oh yeah, that's the truth. I found your ad over there only because I knew what to look for. I think others in need may well miss that ad. Showing up on the home page would be very advantageous.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.