Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Connecticut

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:34 am

On the Lord Of The Rings theme, I like Strider.

Or Max, in honor of Mad Max/Road Warrior/etc.
In a 2006 newspaper commentary on peak oil, James McCausland wrote the following in relation to Mad Max:

"In 1973, the Arab oil-producing nations convulsed most of the world by tightening the spigots on their wells and sharply reducing production. Corporations, and nations including Japan, went into crisis mode and many started to think of ways to lessen their reliance on petroleum products.

As the after-shock waves began to subside and black gold started to flow again, most enterprises kicked petroleum replacement well down the agenda.

Yet there were further signs of the desperate measures individuals would take to ensure mobility. A couple of oil strikes that hit many pumps revealed the ferocity with which Australians would defend their right to fill a tank. Long queues formed at the stations with petrol – and anyone who tried to sneak ahead in the queue met raw violence."

George and I wrote the script based on the thesis that people would do almost anything to keep vehicles moving and the assumption that nations would not consider the huge costs of providing infrastructure for alternative energy until it was too late.
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:51 am

Quadratrückseite wrote:On the Lord Of The Rings theme, I like Strider.
I like "Strider" too, but Strider was a King living in hiding as a Ranger until the time was right. Our VWs never aspired to such greatness. Like the hobbits, they are small, simple, and unpretentious, but built from strong stuff capable of heroic feats when the situation requires them. :compress:
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:56 am

If you're in Connecticut for any time, you really ought to look up coW. I'm sure he'd like to say hi.
Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:18 pm

The leader of the harpies in Philip Pullman's "The Amber Spyglass" was first called "No-name", until she rescued Lyra from falling into the abyss. Lyra gave her the name "Gracious Wings".
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

jl74supercab
Getting Hooked!

Post by jl74supercab » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:05 pm

Shadowfax, the horse ridden by Gandalf, the Wizard.

..just sayin'

weisswurst
Addicted!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Connecticut

Post by weisswurst » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:34 am

Amskeptic wrote: LOOK OUT! - the '62 Lincoln with single circuit brakes

best name ever for a car of that size, please tell me you will keep and use that one! =D>
haven't stopped laughing yet.. (get it? haven't stopped??, never mind..)
jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."