What's your favorite part of camping?

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: What's your favorite part of camping?

Post by Westy78 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:28 pm

IFBwax wrote:
After having just taken a trip.. another one is that feeling about 2 to 3 days in when you (I) realize... I don't HAVE to do anything. No tidying up, no worrying about work, nothing. I can exhale and realize, wow, I'm now relaxed.
Yes, that's a big part of that mental reset. When you have things to do at home but are out and can't do them is really when the relaxation comes in. You don't have a choice in the matter. Unless you dwell on those things needing to be done which I would say just means you need to stay longer. :thumbright:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:42 pm

One of my favorite trips was one I took with the boys last year. Had two fabulous days and we were all very bummed to have to leave...I had a fishing trip scheduled that I needed to get back for. Packed up and left with a big WHAAAHHHH!. Got home, check my messages and the trip had cancelled. Quietly restocked the food and beverage and said "load up boys!" and we headed back to White River for two more nights and got our same spot. Two happy boys, and one very happy dad :cheers:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:02 pm

That first hot coffee in the fresh morning air as the sun is starting to come up.

That and cooking. I love camp cooking.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:25 pm

Hippie wrote:That first hot coffee in the fresh morning air as the sun is starting to come up.

That and cooking. I love camp cooking.
You're up before the sun? That I just can not do camping. Unless I'm out hunting or fishing. The bus with the dark brown curtains pulled and the memory foam mattress topper is very conducive to sleeping in for me. Like a bear hibernating in a cave.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:07 am

I think my favorite is autumn camping. Waking up to the crisp air and the crunch of leaves underfoot. Fewer neighbors, no mosquitoes, less humidity, and... the colors!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:05 am

Besides the bats, I am blown away by places unchanged by time, at least for a few thousand years. It is truly amazing that the Universe does...THAT THING....infinite beyond words yet in one's face. Touch it, it turns to powder. Hoes does a tiny ladybug move with those filament hairs? A speck is a spider, able to spin and weave.
Are we giants? Each step crushes so much. But then next year it comes back again.
To me, the wilderness has a consciousness that you can feel. I am in love and addicted. Burn the bus, strap me backwards to a mule, I'll get there no matter.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:37 am

Westy78 wrote:You're up before the sun? That I just can not do camping. Unless I'm out hunting or fishing. The bus with the dark brown curtains pulled and the memory foam mattress topper is very conducive to sleeping in for me. Like a bear hibernating in a cave.
Usually. Early morning is the best part of the day. We get up at 5 or 6 at home, anyway.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:26 am

Hippie wrote:Early morning is the best part of the day.
Shhhhh! Don't tell everyone! I love going to popular areas before everyone else gets there. We had the Norris Geyser Basin to ourselves for an hour and a half on our trip to Yellowstone last year. It was eerie.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:41 pm

sped372 wrote:
Shhhhh! Don't tell everyone! I love going to popular areas before everyone else gets there. We had the Norris Geyser Basin to ourselves for an hour and a half on our trip to Yellowstone last year. It was eerie.
Well we got to get togetehr for a midwest campout. We'll go hiking with you early.
I like a quiet, dawn bike ride in town, too.
Peaceful, light traffic.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Hippie wrote:
sped372 wrote:
Well we got to get togetehr for a midwest campout. We'll go hiking with you early.
I like a quiet, dawn bike ride in town, too.
Peaceful, light traffic.
I can tell by your misspellings that your brain functions the same as mine. It's running 110% early and then misfiring by 6pm. The midwest get-together needs to happen!
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:12 am

sped372 wrote: I can tell by your misspellings that your brain functions the same as mine. It's running 110% early and then misfiring by 6pm. The midwest get-together needs to happen!
LOL. That is true. When I used to pull overtime, I would go in early (whenever possible) rather than stay late.

Maybe August or Septemberish, we can get with chitwn, turk, yondermtn, locoqueso, Belleplaine, and go to Wooded Wonderland east of Galena. :sunny:

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Most of the things mentioned here (aside form getting up early). I'd like to add: NO CELL PHONE SIGNAL! If there's a problem, I won't know til I'm back down the mountain. Perfect excuse for ignoring life's responsibilities.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Hippie wrote:
sped372 wrote: I can tell by your misspellings that your brain functions the same as mine. It's running 110% early and then misfiring by 6pm. The midwest get-together needs to happen!
LOL. That is true. When I used to pull overtime, I would go in early (whenever possible) rather than stay late.

Maybe August or Septemberish, we can get with chitwn, turk, yondermtn, locoqueso, Belleplaine, and go to Wooded Wonderland east of Galena. :sunny:
Hey! I'm not that far south am I?

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:25 am

RussellK wrote:
Hippie wrote:

Hey! I'm not that far south am I?
Its alright Russ, I must be too far east! :scratch:
How abouts MrBlotto as well?
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:11 pm

I knew I'd miss some. You guys come, too!

I just discovered the midwest meetup thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=9847&p=176946#p176946