Sylvester and Samantha in the clouds !!!

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Sylvester and Samantha in the clouds !!!

Post by Sylvester » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Indeed, my 7th grade English teacher said I was on cloud nine, and I was there all the time. This past weekend, I really was. The family and I went to Chattanooga to watch a Southern love of college football. We went to watch and pull for the Birmingham Samford Bulldogs, against the Chattanooga Mocs. We drove Samantha up I 75 in a bit of a hurry, I admit I left a bit later than I wanted because I was worried about Sam's front drivers side tire. It had worn on the inside and developed a bump, which was not noticeable by any of the tire guys but I still felt better getting it swapped. Add to the time getting it swapped to the mechanic trying to get Sam in the stall, and I did have to show him how to get it into reverse. In the end they pushed it in and pulled the tire.

Since Colin and gave Sam a rebuild 34 PICT 3 and an SVDA distributor, Sam runs so much better. on I-75 she did 67-70 all the way, one time going 75. We had three adults and a teenager in the Bus with all our camping gear. I have never experienced Sam so peppy and fast moving in all the three years we have been together, I was not the slowest thing on the highway!

We watched the football game, and to our dismay Samford lost. However there were some good plays, and a bad day of watching football in person is better than a good day in a cubicle I say. Here is Samford QB Dustin Taliaferro throwing a pass early in the game.

Then we were off to Cloudland Canyon State Park on Lookout Mountain Georgia. I have been to Lookout Mountain years before, it is a Mecca to Civil War buffs. But this time to camp was something else. We got there too late to see where we were going, around 8:30. We set up in a small park really, later I was to wish I had known of the more remote part of the park, but you live and learn.

We unpacked, I thought it was fairly cold at 41, and that was all the cold it got. The wife and I were in the Colman tent and inflatable mattress.

Yeah Sam's back bumper is off, but the 68-71 look of these Busses is too cool. It was not bad at night, except for the kids nearby thinking 6:00 AM was fine time to get out and yell and have fun. I would have suggested 8:00AM, but no, they did not hear me under the pillow.

Morning came, and with it the rain. It did drive the munchkins to their tents also, but left us in a lurch. It was raining pretty good, do we wait, or do we bug out in the rain and head for dryer weather? We decided to bug out, and tore down the camp in the rain.

We struck the tent and headed for the trails, and found God instead. It stopped raining and we were witness to the clouds coming through the valleys below us. It was a breathtaking view to behold.

The leaves were turning, the clouds were swirling up the mountain at us, so thick you could see them moving just inched from you. I could have stayed and watched this all day, to see the sun burn the mist and vapor slowly away, to see what the website shot shows during a cloudless, endless vision day:

Even though it rained, it will stand in my mind as one of the most beautiful camps I have ever done. And hats off to my wife, whose idea this was and though not a experienced camper, was a real trooper in every minute were were there.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:07 pm

I can feel that rain. Man that is gorgeous. I'd be out running thru those forests.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:30 am

hambone wrote:I can feel that rain. Man that is gorgeous. I'd be out running thru those forests.
It really was so beautiful that morning. We ran into a couple from Atlanta that drove there that morning just to see the clouds coming up the valley after the rain. I wish I could have filmed it.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:20 am

Wow. Thanks for those pictures! Gorgeous!

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:26 am

Thanks for sharing... I'm envious you can camp this late into the year. We're scraping our windows up here.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 am

sped372 wrote:Thanks for sharing... I'm envious you can camp this late into the year. We're scraping our windows up here.
We are still yet to get really cold. I want to camp in December too, maybe head for the coast at Savannah Georgia, there is a state park there that is an island.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:47 pm

Beautiful pics Sly!

-John
Keep it acoustic.