Bear Proofing a VW Camper

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Bear Proofing a VW Camper

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:49 am

A bear attack near Yellowstone was in the news this morning. It's got me wondering what are the steps that can we VW camper owners can take to bear proof our campers. I've seen first hand damage caused by a bear entering a Westy Vanagon through the rear hatch screen and exiting out of the poptop canvas. Thank goodness the owners, a retired couple, were out playing golf at the time.

We camp with a yellow lab and the most convenient location for me to store his dogfood is strapped to the luggage rack but I worry that the smell will attract animals. Any thoughts?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:15 am

The best way is prevention. Keep all food stored in a bear proof container away from your vehicle. i.e seen the bear boxes in the Nat'l Parks? If this is not an option....tie it up in a tree branch.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:21 am

I agree; you aren't going to bear-proof a bus. Keep your food elsewhere and hope for the best. I was nervous in the Smokies and those are "just" black bears.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

patayres
I'm New!

Post by patayres » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 am

Closing the rear hatch whilst away from the campsite could have prevented that story about the couple with the Vanagon... that's just common sense isn't it? Or even while sleeping in the bus when camping in bear country.

The bear attack in Yellowstone this week is a horrible scenario, but it sounds like those attacked were tent camping. No information has been released about whether those attacked had food in their tents, but I suspect they may have.

Yet another reason I love living and camping in the Pacific Northwest... our little black bears are so skiddish that many people spend their whole lives here without seeing one. My wife is from Bozeman & we spend a fair bit of time in the North Yellowstone area... bear evidence is everywhere out there 8-[
1975 Westfalia Helsinki - 1800 EFI w/ Pertronix
1965 Singlecab - 1600dp

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:56 am

I've always thought of busses as the hard candy with the soft chewy center. If a bear wants in there is no stopping it. :drunken:

Having said that I do sleep much more soundly in a bus than in a tent that's for sure. Just use the common sense stuff mentioned above regarding food and you'll be fine. I also wouldn't take a lady friend camping during her "time of the month" nor use deodorants, perfumes or anything else attractively smelly. Oh... and don't cook in the bus even if you're storing food up a tree. Duh. Common. Sense. :king:
'72 Sierra Yellow Campmobile

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:49 am

Closing the rear hatch (and all other doors, I should say since apparently closing the hatch isn't common sense) is going to discourage almost any bear. They're not going to climb up to get in through the top unless you like to do really enticing things, like fry bacon up there. BellePlaine--that dog food in the luggage rack is probably pretty enticing. You might want to consider one of those bear-proof cans if you have to take a lot of dog food with you.

In the overwhelming majority of cases though, a bear is going to walk right on by a buttoned-up VW camper; too much work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_effort
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:08 pm

whc03grady wrote:BellePlaine--that dog food in the luggage rack is probably pretty enticing. You might want to consider one of those bear-proof cans if you have to take a lot of dog food with you.
I have just not been satisfied with a spot for dogfood storage inside the cabin. I think that I might go check out this at REI...

It's 8.3 inches wide and would probably fit nicely inside the rim of my spare tire. Here:

I'll just take have to store it away from the bus at night.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:12 pm

'Taint nuthin' that will bear-proof any vehicle, short of maybe an armored personnel carrier. Much less a VW. Do like Rick suggests, and use bear-resistant containers when in their domain...I've used the ones they sell @ REI. No issues when backpacking in bear country, so I'm sure it would be fine for storing your dog food.

Coincidentally, my wife got a call from one of her friends yesterday. A bear broke into their Volvo, and was still sitting in the seat when discovered. Yikes!

This happened in Breckenridge. No food was in the car--apparently it went after the smell of some hand-lotion or something similar.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:05 pm

I recently saw a similar story about a bear getting into a car. I think it was in Douglas County(CO). Bear got stuck and destroyed the interior.

1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Dang, and I thought squirrels were a nuisance.

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:14 pm

yondermtn wrote:I recently saw a similar story about a bear getting into a car. I think it was in Douglas County(CO). Bear got stuck and destroyed the interior.

Weird. That was in Larkspur CO (which is in Douglas County), the next town down from us. I hadn't heard anything about it.
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:39 pm

remember it's not just food, it's all of your scented stuff like deodorant, toothpaste, toiletries/etc. should be stored in the provided bear lockers at places like Yellowstone. the bears there are so desensitized towards people and noise that your normal methods of bear-proofing are likely to fail.

this is a scary story though...
Fish, Wildlife & Parks spokesman Ron Aasheim. wrote:"Everyone appeared to have followed all food storage regulations"
1979 California Transporter

blatzer
Getting Hooked!

Post by blatzer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:52 am

belleplaine, that roof spare storage is outtasite! wherefrom came the inspiration?
Enlighten the people, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:06 am

I was out there when that happened. In fact, the rangers blew by us with the lights and sirens on, on the way to the campsite.
Those folks were all in tents. They banned all tent camping in the park until the bear was caught and destroyed.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:14 pm

Hippie wrote:They banned all tent camping in the park until the bear was caught and destroyed
Yikes! Yeah, probably not a bad idea to do that. Bear burgers, anyone?

I hadn't looked at this thread earlier, thought the subject was "Beer Proofing a VW Camper" .. which I have no interest in.
:pale:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!