San Juan camping

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Great pics! I hope you grabbed that lil boat out of the driftwood pile...eh hem..assuming that was drift and up for grabs. May have been a display outside a beachfront gift shop for all I know :drunken:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:18 pm

deschutestrout wrote:Great pics! I hope you grabbed that lil boat out of the driftwood pile...eh hem..assuming that was drift and up for grabs. May have been a display outside a beachfront gift shop for all I know :drunken:
This one? No, it was a little bit much for the bus to tow.

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:26 pm

early August is a good plan.

Discussion last eve. revealed that Odlin park only allows online reservations 90 days in advance. IMO that's the best place to camp.

I will check into how best to make reservations. I wonder if phone reservations can be made further out?...Hmmmm...

Who all may be coming? I know it's a ways out but this is a great trip and worth the planning.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:52 pm

In
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:12 pm

Oh you always say that.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Re: San Juan camping

Post by Emily's Owner » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:02 pm

Gypsie wrote:
Westy78 wrote:A tip for anyone leaving the islands on Sunday. Get to the ferry landing EARLY. We were in line two hours early for the boat we wanted to catch.
The Lopez locals will often get there early enough to drop their car off and then go back home and come back right before loading time. If yer not hanging with a group, you kinda have to stick around cause the landing is so far from the village and anything to do other than a walk around.

But you could get there and then make breakfast while sitting on line. It's definitely an acquired skill to hit it right.
My sister who lives in Friday Harbor does this also, get the car in line early, go to breakfast and do shopping if needed, then get in the car to head to the mainland. It's what we've always done, and so far it's worked for us over the years.
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: San Juan camping

Post by Westy78 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:20 pm

Emily's Owner wrote:
Gypsie wrote:
Westy78 wrote:A tip for anyone leaving the islands on Sunday. Get to the ferry landing EARLY. We were in line two hours early for the boat we wanted to catch.
The Lopez locals will often get there early enough to drop their car off and then go back home and come back right before loading time. If yer not hanging with a group, you kinda have to stick around cause the landing is so far from the village and anything to do other than a walk around.

But you could get there and then make breakfast while sitting on line. It's definitely an acquired skill to hit it right.
My sister who lives in Friday Harbor does this also, get the car in line early, go to breakfast and do shopping if needed, then get in the car to head to the mainland. It's what we've always done, and so far it's worked for us over the years.
This works as long as you're not in a line that's moving every hour or so. We were just so far back in the line that we weren't able to fit on the next two or three boats. This was just a matter of sheer numbers.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:03 pm

Hard dates yet?
from Fri Aug 6-to Sun. 15?

Jasan?...

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:13 pm

Gypsie wrote:Hard dates yet?
from Fri Aug 6-to Sun. 15?

Jasan?...
Yep them's the dates. We'll personally be on Lopez in Odlin county park from the 6th-10th then heading across the water to Orcas in Moran State Park to finish out the week and heading home on Saturday.

Really hoping to have a hitch and trailer fabbed up to tow the scooter for easy island hopping by then.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:06 pm

Jasan, check craigslist for motorcycle trailers...not ones to carry motorcycles per se but trailers towed by motorcycles...amazing light weight world of trailers. One might work for your application.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:09 pm

spiffy wrote:Jasan, check craigslist for motorcycle trailers...not ones to carry motorcycles per se but trailers towed by motorcycles...amazing light weight world of trailers. One might work for your application.
That is a pretty good idea. You guys are geniouses.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:20 pm

spiffy wrote:Jasan, check craigslist for motorcycle trailers...not ones to carry motorcycles per se but trailers towed by motorcycles...amazing light weight world of trailers. One might work for your application.

So they make something that would hold a 200-300lb scooter? I guess I need to figure out how to fit a hitch around the beastly exhaust first.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:57 am

Not sure if there is something out there pre-made to carry a scooter but most motorcycle trailers are less then 200 lbs and insanely low tongue weights.....maybe a longer platform with eyelets to ratchet strap the scooter in place? Anyhoo, I like the light weight part and wish I would have gone that way with my trailer...even though I use it for other things now.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:19 pm

If you don't find one by then I have my little trailer that would be perfect for one or even two scooters. You could borrow it ifn' you wanted.

Remember all: 90 days prior to that week San Juan County Parks reservations for the beach side; Space numbers 1-9 (they are right on the beach, out in the open). Beautiful Scenery fo sho. The passing ferries are a sight to behold.

Hopefully it'll be a phosphorescent tide...

Can't wait...

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:49 am

Who will be where, when?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat