Camping Methods

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Camping Methods

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:30 am

I'm surprised how little discussion there is in this Camping! forum about camping methods and equipment. The discussion revolves around VW events and camping trips mostly.

Thought I'd create a thread inviting people to share their tips and tricks, equipment, methods, campsite setup, food, food preparation, safety, etc.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Safety

Post by IFBwax » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:45 am

The worst thing that could happen on a camping trip is losing the kids. So when we arrive at our site, I always put these whistles around their necks and let them have ONE and ONE only practice blow. It's not a substitute for watching over them, but does give you a little safety net if they wander away from the campsite.

I keep the whistles in one of the drawers of the camper.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:39 am

Big blue tarps and lots of rope. Can't have enough of either in the PNW!

Now that I'm out of campers in back into passenger cars, I think when I set up a tent, I'd still string up a big blue tarp above it, if possible. Why not? Everything stays dry. Love the big blue tarps.

(BTW: just got a possible lead on a 1949 Allstate Single wheel trailer. Fingers crossed.)

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Re: Safety

Post by MeyerII » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:48 am

IFBwax wrote:The worst thing that could happen on a camping trip is losing the kids. So when we arrive at our site, I always put these whistles around their necks and let them have ONE and ONE only practice blow. It's not a substitute for watching over them, but does give you a little safety net if they wander away from the campsite.

I keep the whistles in one of the drawers of the camper.
Those multi-channel walkie-talkies with multi-mile range are getting pretty cheap too.

Here's an example:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=family

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:46 pm

Being the wiz on the 'puter --ya sure :pirate: Ive been looking for the long thread about camping tips we all did back when the Camping topic started, anyone else remember it ? or am I spacing out somemore ?

Lots of tips I used, I still have a red Folgers coffee can (plastic) I bought just to hold a roll of toliet paper, works great to keep it dry. Don,t remember who posted that but Thanks!
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:35 pm

Elwood wrote:Being the wiz on the 'puter --ya sure :pirate: Ive been looking for the long thread about camping tips we all did back when the Camping topic started, anyone else remember it ? or am I spacing out somemore ?

Lots of tips I used, I still have a red Folgers coffee can (plastic) I bought just to hold a roll of toliet paper, works great to keep it dry. Don,t remember who posted that but Thanks!
Naw, I remember that one too. It was pretty good if I remember right....but that's a BIG IF :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:37 pm

Aha!! Hey Elwood I think this is the one we were talking aboot:

viewtopic.php?t=1987
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:09 pm

:cheers: Yes Spiff ~ whee Im not too crazy! But after a few months or years and new folks, it will be great to have more. New tech stuff and available on the intie is always great.

IFBwax, the whistle for your girls is great. Had not learned about that when my girls were little. I only learned after crewing on boats with life perservers ( remember "Rose" in Titanic getting rescewed ?) and in selfpresivation training after being raped. I always have one with me. Scares the critters away also if ya need too.

How about some more stories about getting "Unstuck" like our Colin did , in the boonies without help. My "sparkplug pump" got me out of a bind with a flat one time. But that was before air in a can or cell phones.

Im such a "Oldie" about these things, so can,t add much, but really injoy reading about them. Thanks Velo for starting it up. Barb
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:00 pm

Yah, it was like best 'tips for camping'...oh, those past golden years...

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Yes Chitown, lots of good memories but the old ways suit me best as I appreciate simplicity ~ not needing electricity or outside sources when Im camping ~ thats what "Camping " is to me. But I like that young families take their kids to the parks and nature to teach them respect and preservation. The people on the site ie; You, Slyvester. Hambone and many others that post their trips with the kids, Oh and Gypsie and could go on about others, just fill my heart with hope of a better future. Im not THAT old to learn new and better ways to stay comfortable.

All that and in Vw busses to boot, I can,t ask for anything more in a online site. Keep sharring and injoying the WORLD!!!! I ' am

B/E&Soon J

ps - don,t forget the Benadryll :flower:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:13 am

Elwood wrote:
ps - don,t forget the Benadryll :flower:

=D>
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:44 am

Favorite foods? Would love to hear about them.

My old fave breakfast is one my dad made in camp when my sister and I were young (and so was my dad, hehe) ... potatoes, onions, egg, sausage, green peppers, etc. wrapped in tin foil over the propane stove. I think dad calls it a "hobo breakfast" or something.

Don't forget to put 1/4 stick of butter in the foil with the food. =D> You'll need the fuel for the long hike you have planned mid-morning!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:52 am

Stove? Nah ya just toss em' in the coals.
I call em' "Hobo Steamers" and are best served on a 2x4.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:56 am

hambone wrote: I call em' "Hobo Steamers" and are best served on a 2x4.
Mmmmm... I'd never thought of that. Sounds delish! :king:

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:12 am

hambone wrote:Hobo Steamers"
Uh... Hobo steamers are something else that are best left uneaten... :pukeleft:
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI