December Snow/Rain Camp 2008 - Oregon

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:14 pm

Oregon72 wrote:Good news!!I just found out that my daughter's piano recital has been postponed till next Thursday, so I'll be staying the full duration with you jokers.

Jasan, is there anything you would like me to pickup at the store to throw in your chili? Or I can bring something else? What goes good with Chili? Nice loaf a' sourdough?
Excellent news Troy! If you want, pick something off the dessert list here and bring the fixings for that. It'll be an all dutch oven dinner.

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papa ... ecipes.htm

Oh, and make sure if you pick something to print off the directions.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:33 pm

Mahvalous, simply mahvelous.

FYI....those Krustaez cinnamon crumb cake packs are bueno in a dutch. Easy as hell...just throw some tin foil in the dutch and follow the directions. If you have left overs just wrap it up in said tin foil. Tastes even gooderererer with good coffee.

Hey Jas....what should I send for a house warming party? :joker:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:36 pm

spiffy wrote:Mahvalous, simply mahvelous.

FYI....those Krustaez cinnamon crumb cake packs are bueno in a dutch. Easy as hell...just throw some tin foil in the dutch and follow the directions. If you have left overs just wrap it up in said tin foil. Tastes even gooderererer with good coffee.

Hey Jas....what should I send for a house warming party? :joker:
A case of Krustaez cinnamon crumb cake.
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:57 pm

Very cool Troy! I'll see ya tomorrow at 8:30 ish.
Spent the day packing and getting ready. Made a bunch of camp-tapes off my records, hope they jive with the woods. Old school ipod mix.
It was cold out there a bit ago, was packing the rest of the gear. It's gonna be chilly out in the boonies, bring lots of warm clothes.
Gonna be great to see all of you, I'm psyched.
yer right, the weather is lookin perty good:
Friday: Sunny, with a high near 44. Light and variable wind.
Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 32. West wind around 5 mph.

Saturday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 46. West wind around 8 mph.
Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 33. West wind around 8 mph.

Sunday: A 50 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 44.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:04 am

Westy78 wrote:[
Excellent news Troy! If you want, pick something off the dessert list here and bring the fixings for that. It'll be an all dutch oven dinner.
Easy Peachy Cake is what I picked - four ingredients, my kind of recipe. Even a PB&J sandwich has three. :cheers:

Bob, I think you're right, it should be dang cold out there. I've packed about every coat I own - If I do this right, I'm hoping to resemble some type of mutaion of the Michelin Man crossed with the Pilsbury Dough Boy. See you in the AM.
-'72 Westy-

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:33 am

We'll be downright lucky if the low only hits 32! Currently 25 in Maupin...brrr. Many clothes, especially for my kids...if they survive this one without grumbling, well...I've got some campers! See ya in a few hours!!!!!!

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:33 pm

Hiya All,

So.........I checked in on our intrepid winter campers. They were kinda bummed out that there was neither rain or snow. They had to make do with brilliant sunshine and temperatures higher than in downtown Portland. Ah, sometimes you just gotta tough these things out.

Here's a shot of the road leading into the area.....

It was just a beautiful day. Perfect for being outdoors.

And the road into the campsite.......

Bob tells me that this is actually the original Barlow Toll Road. The very route that those brave souls took with their covered wagons over Mt. Hood and into Oregon City from the Columbia River.

I found the campsite along Barlow (is that right Mark?) Creek...

And the guys (and their rides).........Stephan (Mr. Congeniality)

Troy (Did I tell you Troy, how nice your Bus looked?)

Bob (Is there anything this guy doesn't know about the woods?)

Jasan (Dressed for the weather and worse!)

And Mark (our guide!)

Finally, there were these two wild and crazy guys and their ferocious hound dog........

I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Excellent weekend. Including the weather considering the time of year.

The destination

Saturday morning. Cold, clear and beautiful.

Bob trying to capture what only the eyes can see.

Still don't know how we got across this.........

Chili and corn bread dinner. Hit the spot on a cold night.

Table in disarray. We browsed food like animals all day. So cold that no cooler was needed.

Scavengers.

Fun with long shutter.

Fire for 30° weather.

Sunday morning contrast from Saturday.

I was nestled under a tree and stayed nice and dry.

The road out. Now muddy.

Putting it into four wheel drive.

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

hambone

Post by hambone » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Great trip! Thanks everybody. My brain is in a fog time to go horizontal.
You guys are the cat's pajamas.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:18 pm

Thanks for the pics, Mike and Jasan! (we were all posting simultaneously and Jasan's pics weren't up yet!) Glad Mike could make it for a bit. Was a great campy trip. Weather was grand for December in the Cascades. Everyone got along, great food, my boys survived without mumbling, all-in-all a great weekend! Had the spot to ourselves, never got real cold (although Bob always won on the # of layers worn comparison). Very nice. Very nice. Thanks all! In Maupin now and it feels like the weather is about to change....we hit it good for a "snow-camp without snow" weekend :cheers:

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:49 pm

deschutestrout wrote:although Bob always won on the # of layers worn comparison:
I think Bob had seven (7), but it wasn't really fair because Jasan's coat was lined with fur from the incredibly elusive Splintercat so that gets you extra points.

Great times, nice seeing you guys once again and a real treat meeting Bookwus and his pristine ride.

All your pics are great -- Ill post some of my own later this evening although I believe I didn't get too many good ones. Mark, I did get a good pic of Eli. Also, I have a short video of my new favorite song (thanks Stephan and Bob for entertaining my special request), if I can figure out how to load and post it.

Anyone else feel like they got a sunburned face? I must have the after effects of campfire over-exposure.
-'72 Westy-

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:14 pm

No camera for me on this trip though I did get to snap a few with Jasans camera (and I notice a couple of them made the cut and were posted!)

One of the nicest campgrounds I've seen in a while. No McCamping energy anywhere but still the 'finish' of a campground. This is definitely a family spot to be logged away for future reference.

As has already been mentioned, great copious amounts of food were laid out and grazed on all day Saturday.

We went on a little jaunt early Saturday and was awed by the frozen phenomina. The moisture in the ground freezing to make crystaline spires that push up the forest floor. Looks like dirt and duff as you approach but crunches underfoot and when you look down at it you can see the tiny forest of icy structures. It was like the forest was preparing for the snow to come.

A liesurely meander a little later Saturday afternoon brought us face to face with a Bookwus. We held the children close and made small talk. All worked out and no one was taken to the underworld.

The fire called often. Pretty much stayed in the low thirties. I have the fireside burn Troy mentions. Probably what chicken feels like as it turns on the spit.

Marks boys were golden. I look forward to seeing them as time passes. Zane swings an axe like Big Paul himself. I can't wait til he takes over wood splittin' duty. :geek:

Troy has blended into the tapestry like he has been there all along. His cake was peachy! 'Dat boy has a Beeeeeautiful bus.

It's a bit odd to see Jasan without Tosa, but I think he enjoyed the down time. His chili hit the spot.

Bob kept the homey music pourin' in though not much live jammin' as the cold was finger numbing.

I traveled light which worked out very well. I eliminated much extranious gear. I think I will bring a chainsaw from now on. Makes for easy bonfires, and less whining from the peanut gallery.

Spiffy was there in spirit. We kept giving each other the "Spiffy Salute" in his honor.

Missed all yous that didn't make it, (John, Mike Wayne, Hal, Anthony), See you soon I hope.

Great time folks. You really know how to camp it up.

Looking forward to Nehalem.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:27 pm

Bookwus wrote:

If you look closely you can see that he is warming up the hyperdrive in his bus so he can jump to light speed at a moments notice.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:40 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlow_Road

Incidentally, I was looking at a different map today and it looks like the new one is wrong in regards to that abandoned trail. Possibly goes N-S for a while instead of NE. I'll figger it out.
Are you guys fried today? I know I am.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:07 am

Yep - I feel blasted today.

Nice write-up Stephan. I always enjoy your commentary.

Here's a video for you guys. You can't run, you can't hide from the GRIND of the MACHINES ---- The ending was apocolyptic!

http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr28 ... 030258.flv

Here's a few stills

Hambone in newly bathed classic

Hambone dropping into the promised land

D-Trout and two of the most hardcore little'uns you'll ever find out in the woods

Bob loves Oregon

Outdoor school

Buses in their natural habitat

Mark's Jambalya

Jasan and Stephan talkin' shop

Tree Knome

Camp

From across the creek

White River contemplation with Bookwus

Walkabout

Worm's eye view

Night Wheel