Hunter's Moon & "Sausage Festival" - Nov 7-9

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:45 am

Democracy is a failure!
Ok I'll just pick somethin. I was goin to do that to begin with.
See this is why we have 8 years of W.
And now you've allowed your Evil Camp Overlord (and Dictator) (yes, me)
to take over, in a bloodless coup. You've brought shame to your anscestors but endless glory to this new regime.

Here's the mountain forecast, lookin prettygood so far (relatively):

Friday: Showers. High near 54. South southeast wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Friday Night: A 40 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42.

Saturday: A 50 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 50.
Saturday Night: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 40.

Sunday: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 45.
Sunday Night: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36.

Monday: A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 47.
Monday Night: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38.

Tuesday: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 47.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:27 am

A slight temperature dip at night and that could all turn to snow. Yeah, just call me the nay-sayer :geek: Found that Rhodo place on my forest service map. That looks like a cool area and easily accessible from both directions (via Timothy Lake road off 26...I presume this is the quickest from PDX too) I'll defer the final decision to you, Bob. Hopefully the forecast will improve by then...we laugh at the weather.
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:05 am

Yeah I'm agreeing with you Mark.
Let's do this: if we get a warming trend mid week, we'll go up to Squaw. If it stays gray and chilly we'll go to Rho Creek.

Either location is great, and I've been working on trails in both spots.

Spiffy can't make it he's gotta play Army. Haven't heard from John, not sure how his engine swap is goin.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:08 pm

Vote, democracy, wha...? Jeez, stay mostly offline for a couple days and look what happens, a coup and a dictatorship. :-P

I'd be down with anyplace to be honest, though .. the right-along-the-road-ness of Squaw Lakes might be a concern even though we're hitting the off season. Rhododendron Creek looks like it could be a nice spot, and I've never been in that area before...

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:47 pm

I propose we camp along Rhododendron Creek. Looks from the map that we would share our access point, and could meet in the morning along the Timothy Lake road. What say yous?

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:19 pm

It's really easy to get to the camp spot. I'll post a pic of the district map. We can just meet there.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:25 pm

hambone wrote:It's really easy to get to the camp spot. I'll post a pic of the district map. We can just meet there.
Oh, so you don't want to drive in together. Okay, FINE. I'll just meet you there then, jeez. Thought I'd make it more fun and you just don't like the idea. Well harrrruuummmppphhhh! Can't wait. Will be a fun lil outing I'm sure. Just vacuumed the camper from the last little get together at S. Pyramid. Double checking food and clothing and dry gear. Beer and wood accounted for. Oh yes, and the dog.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:27 pm

Woof woof woof!

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:25 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Woof woof woof!

neal
Glad you spoke up, you get the credit for this one:
viewtopic.php?t=2506

This will be the third annual event and the third anniversary of the first IAC campout (TM).
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:54 pm

Well, I still pine for Old Maid Flats, if the area doesn't freeze it should be a mycological paradise. However, since my schedule would only allow a drop in, pull out visit (no sausage references please), with nary but an hour or so for 'shroomin', I'm holding off on that recomendation this year. I still don't know if we'll make it. We may be too busy pre-packing for our three week jaunt to southern Mexico. The week will tell, but I have fingers crossed.

neal

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:33 pm

My newly bachelorized self might need to make this Sausage Fest, you know, for some good ol' fashioned wimmin hatin'. :flower: Depends on funds and what the bus wants. Keep me posted.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:20 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Well, I still pine for Old Maid Flats, if the area doesn't freeze it should be a mycological paradise.

neal
What do you hunt? Edibles? or anything that is interesting? I joined the LA mycological society one wet year and had lots of fun on forays. We found huge chantrelles under a stand of low, shrubby oaks... golden treasure! It is seldom been wet enough here for the chantrelles to sprout, so that was a special event. No magic mushrooms here, though we always look for LBMs (little brown mushrooms) with viscid pellicles and purple spore prints. I found a few morels in a friend's yard one April, and again in my mom's yard after some wood chips were delivered... that was cool.

Oregon must truly be mycological paradise!

Have fun camping, everyone!
71 bus, 74 westy

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:44 pm

Anything of interest. Edibles for the most part, but yes, always keeping an eye out for the LBMs that bruise purple. In the past I have found Manzanita Boletes and Matsutakis there. But yes, it is rampant with varieties when the rains and temps work just right. Low layers of fog, thick spongy moss an top of a sandy base, magical, even without the ingestion of suspicious varieties.

It's fun just to try to ID whatever is found.

neal

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:28 pm

ruckman101 wrote: It's fun just to try to ID whatever is found.
Yes, I agree. It's fun to go through all the steps of identification, and sometimes find a surprise. I found a mushroom in the mountains that caused excitement at a mycological meeting, and I gave it to an expert to be photographed for his book. That was fun, being the novice I was.

I was careful to learn the poisonous and deadly mushrooms first, and never eat anything that looks remotely like any of them. There was a mass poisoning shortly before I started mushrooming, because Asian immigrants confused the Death Cap or Destroying Angel with an edible they knew from their homeland, and served it in a stew. No, no, we don't want that, so I'll learn the bad ones first, and never serve them to anyone else without knowledge. As it turns out, my friends are suspicious of them all, even the morels I find, so more for me.
:geek:
71 bus, 74 westy

hambone

Post by hambone » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:12 pm

Hope you can make it DJ. It'll do you some good.
AND you can bring some holiday beer! Can yu believe I didn't even try it at Pyramids? :pale:
Oh, so you don't want to drive in together.
Quiet you, we're comin in from different directions. No sense goin outa the way. I have a bit of tea to contribute but have to conserve.
YEah it's gonna be great to get out with you guys. It's gonna be spooky out there! Probably wet. Appropriate for a Sausage Festival.
(because of German autumn frestivals, right? Oktoberfest????)