Hunter's Moon & "Sausage Festival" - Nov 7-9

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:11 pm

cheesehead wrote:What's the silver insulation stuff wrapped around the pop-up tent on the red westy? Looks neat how did you do it and why? Do you have better pictures of the set up I would be interested in a closer look.
I use it only during cold outings for insulation...works GREAT! Locks in heat and keeps the wind/rain out. You can buy a roll of 1/4" insulation from Home Depot for about $45. Just make measurements and cut it out. Make sure it is big enough to rest inside the rain gutter and tuck underneath the poptop. You'll end up cutting a little "arch" in the front, bottom edge where it meets the top of the bus. Cut it a tad big to start, then cut 'er down to size. I've seen these commercially available for over $100....easy enough to make your own.

"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

cheesehead
Getting Hooked!

Post by cheesehead » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:49 pm

That is real neat! How do you fasten it to the pop-top?

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:10 pm

cheesehead wrote:That is real neat! How do you fasten it to the pop-top?
No fastening required. It just tucks up a few inches all the way around underneath the fiberglass. After you put it on, go to both rear corners and give it a tug to snug things up. You'll have extra from the roll to make an insert for the rear portion, and even some rectangles for the interior windows if you want. Just measure the length of rear to front x 2, add the width of the front canvas and that gives you total length. Cut this from the roll. Measure the height at the rear and the front and (starting at one end 1st) mark these points on your insulation. Take a long straight edge (I believe I used a straight 2x4) and connect these points which will give you the slope of your cut. Double check all measurements before you cut! Then, measure across what will be the front, and make the same marks for the other side. Once you have it accurate for the sides and front, cut your little archway where it will rest on the roof in front. Err on the side of too big...you can always cut it down a bit. Mine took about 30 minutes to make and has made cold weather camping much more enjoyable...especially when I have a kid sleeping up top. You'll be surprised how much heat it traps. Many other campers have seen mine and went "wow, I need to make one of those" and have used mine as a template. Have fun!
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011