Mid Sept, Mid Cascades?

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Re: cell coverage?

Post by deschutestrout » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:46 pm

lovecomplex wrote:Does anyone know if there's cell coverage out there? I'd really like to go, but I have to be on-call pretty much constantly and might end up having to run back to portland in the middle of the night...

-Joren
I kinda doubt you'd get a good signal. But that could be your excuse for not responding. :bounce:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:55 pm

hambone wrote:Yes Mr Gypsie the eagle will land tonight. One small step for man, one giant leap etc etc etc.
Very doubtful about cell coverage. It's the middle o nowhere with heavy tree cover. Maybe if you climbed a peak.
Man what a crazy day...glad it's almost over. Groceries groced, bus clean, all I gotta do is pack clothes and tap my foot impatiently.
My bus is dirty, but it's clean dirt so I'm not worried. Not tryin' to impress anyone you know, cept Gypsie, damn, should'a cleaned my bus. Packin' as we speak...food, beer....clothes....beer, what am I missin'?
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:58 pm

deschutestrout wrote:what am I missin'?
TP? :blackeye:
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:24 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Just so's you know my johnny pot will consist of a 5 gal bucket with a liner and lid. (and not the four finger lid of yore!).

I recommend y'all bring a shovel and p'raps we can dig a nice big hole and keep Hammie's conscience clear if'n you don't like the bucket idear!

(specially since Spiff's gonna be there. Shh don't tell him I said anything.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:57 am

chitwnvw wrote:
DjEep wrote: Menage-a-Frog Trippel?
How is the Trippel? Worth the price?
Not too shabby, but not to mixed. It is strong and sweet and makes for one hell of a hangover if drunk for lunch alongside an I2PA and a Brewer's Memorial Dark Ale, all 9%+.

In other news, I hope I still have a job by the time I make it out to the woods this weekend. I'm about to pull my teeth out and throw them at those in charge with all the BS going on at the ol' fact'ry.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

bean5446
Getting Hooked!

Post by bean5446 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:49 am

Alas, work has presented itself that I must take. So no "kids-n-dad" camping trip this weekend. I wish we could be there with you all, play/drink/dig a few poop pits for me! I suppose the more of these odd jobs I take on top of my normal 40+, the more of these trips we'll be able to take in the future! I really wanted to make this one. :(
Bean
1980 Volvo 245 DL, Omar, 397000 miles.
-------------------------------------------------
1987 Vanagon Syncro, Syncro, re-homed.
1984 Vanagon GL Totoro, re-homed.
-------------------------------------------------
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. - T.S. Eliot

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:50 am

Don't count me out just yet......
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:38 am

Westy78 wrote:Don't count me out just yet......
Sweet...I was even thinking of getting some Navan.

In other news, the 78 (in the midst of moving crazy shit happens I guess) was running a little warmer then usual the past few trips. I chalked it up to higher outside temps and stiff head winds (which we have had some EVIL ones lately...30+mph right in the face :pukeleft: ).

So..I go to give the ol girl a looksy and when I pop the back cushion the engine hatch was open and laying on its back like when you are wrenching on stuff or poking around in the engine bay. What the?!?!....and we slept on it for 4 nights? What the......?!?!? Them Rivi cushions work well!!! :cyclopsani:

Also found the timing a wee bit retarded so I hope to have my machine back in good working order this trip.

I'll be leaving bright and early so I should be there around noon.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:20 am

Sweet!! If it works out, you should busavan with Gypsie and me. We are meeting up at the Aurora exit at the Shell Station (the southern most one) at 10am Friday(tomorrow).

Troy
-'72 Westy-

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:24 pm

Everyone bringing a couple of bundles of firewood? Or do they have burn restrictions right now?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:36 pm

Oregon72 wrote:
Sweet!! If it works out, you should busavan with Gypsie and me. We are meeting up at the Aurora exit at the Shell Station (the southern most one) at 10am Friday(tomorrow).

Troy
Love to but I won't be able to get out of town 'till Friday afternoon or Saturday morning if I go.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:03 pm

Westy78 wrote:
Oregon72 wrote:

Troy
Love to but I won't be able to get out of town 'till Friday afternoon or Saturday morning if I go.
No biggie :-)
-'72 Westy-

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:51 pm

Too much on my plate and work just got crazy - ask IFBWax about that.
Have fun without me. :pale:
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:02 pm

I'm back, 1/2 great trip (for me) 1/2 zombie land....
In most cases of bites from these spiders, there is pain or burning at the bite site in the first 10 minutes. The bite from this group is usually described as looking like a "target" or "bull's-eye." The center of the wound is usually a blister surrounded by a reddened area. A pale or blanched area may surround the discolored reddened area. The blister may rupture, leaving an open ulcer. In severe cases the ulcer can become deep and infected causing tissue breakdown or tissue death (necrosis).

Worsening pain, itching and a burning sensation develop. A patient may also have symptoms such as a red, itchy rash over the torso, arms and legs that is usually seen in the first 24-72 hours. Patients may have pain in the muscles and joints, fever, chills, swollen lymph nodes, headaches, and nausea and vomiting.

How are these bites treated?
Frequently, when people with spider bites call the Poison Center, they think there is some special treatment that is necessary for their bite. There is no specialized therapy other than treating the symptoms. Most importantly, keep the wound clean to prevent infection. If the wound does not heal or does develop an infection, see your physician. Do not wait days and weeks while the wound continues to get worse.
So much for Adventure Bob...
I gotta go take a shower and lie down. Thanks you guys for puttin up with me.
Bus ran great, but that vibration is driving me crazy.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:09 pm

hambone wrote:I'm back, 1/2 great trip (for me) 1/2 zombie land....
In most cases of bites from these spiders, there is pain or burning at the bite site in the first 10 minutes. The bite from this group is usually described as looking like a "target" or "bull's-eye." The center of the wound is usually a blister surrounded by a reddened area. A pale or blanched area may surround the discolored reddened area. The blister may rupture, leaving an open ulcer. In severe cases the ulcer can become deep and infected causing tissue breakdown or tissue death (necrosis).

Worsening pain, itching and a burning sensation develop. A patient may also have symptoms such as a red, itchy rash over the torso, arms and legs that is usually seen in the first 24-72 hours. Patients may have pain in the muscles and joints, fever, chills, swollen lymph nodes, headaches, and nausea and vomiting.

How are these bites treated?
Frequently, when people with spider bites call the Poison Center, they think there is some special treatment that is necessary for their bite. There is no specialized therapy other than treating the symptoms. Most importantly, keep the wound clean to prevent infection. If the wound does not heal or does develop an infection, see your physician. Do not wait days and weeks while the wound continues to get worse.
So much for Adventure Bob...
I gotta go take a shower and lie down. Thanks you guys for puttin up with me.
Bus ran great, but that vibration is driving me crazy.
Ah you had a good reason to be feeling like poo. Do you have a strange hankerin for insects yet?