Across the bottom of BC

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Across the bottom of BC

Post by glasseye » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:46 pm

*WARNING* Asstro content ahead! :geek:

Three days before departure to "The Pender Bender" (more on this later), I notice an amber fluid dripping from the front of the Asstro.

Coolant.

$814 later, I have a nice, new radiator. I know, I know. "We don't have those" The Asstro does, though, and it won't travel far without it. Know why it was leaking? Because it was made of... (pause, pause, drum roll....)

PLASTIC!

The #^%$@* radiator was a three-part, stamped-togther, irrepairable, un-recyclable combination of aluminum heat exchanger and plastic. The end caps had obviously been staked on to the core with a very large machine. Cheap and easy for them, impossible for me, the customer. Unfortunately, plastic, not at its best under heat, ruptures after a few thousand heat/cool cycles. The end casing had split. &&$^#@$ :pukeleft: No wonder Detroit is in the toilet.

Onward.
First night out, following a ride on the world's longest free ferry,

Under a full moon, I camp beside a rushing mountain stream and awake to this:

However, "Detroit, we have a problem". The Asstro has suddenly begun using fuel at a prodigious rate. Normally, I get 20 mpusg. Yesterday's fuel burn was nearly twice that rate. WTF?

The smell of gasoline that greeted me that morning clued me in. I was leaking fuel. :pale: The filler neck is joined to the tank by a flexible hose coupling and fuel ($) was pissing out the junction. In Vernon, BC, I searched out a wrecker and an employee and I removed a suitable replacement from the half-dozen or so hulks baking in the 35C sun. A measure of GM's attention to detail was shown by the screws on the hose clamps. Both of them had their slotted sides oriented upwards - against the floorboards. Oh so convenient for the installers who were looking down on the as-yet uninstalled tank, yet impossible to access from underneath by the customer.

We actually had to drop the tank to access the hose clamps. An hour and $35 later, I was on my way. Still leaking fuel, but armed with a solution.

A few hours later, I was here, alongside the Fraser River. North America's last un-dammed river of any size. It drains half of southern BC, so it is definitely "of any size"

I used up the last of my colour film, so I had to revert to black and white for this one. :cherry:

The transition from the interior drylands to the coastal rainforest is nowhere more dramatic than along The Duffey Lake Road, BC 99 running north from Vancouver to Lillooet.

Duffey Lake:

The Coast Range:

My penultimate destination was this: The Big House. A friend's residence on the BC coast at Pender Harbour on the Sunshine Coast.

Here, a half-dozen or so retired and not-so-retired film people, another half-dozen or so American Sign Language interpreters, several guitar players, at least one banjo attemptor, two deaf couples, fishers, swimmers, an Italian Marquesa and at least a dozen persons of ambivalent sexual preference meet every year for The Pender Bender. It's a three day session of food, intoxicants and bullshitting that defies explanation.

The journey continued uneventfully to Victoria BC, where my sister and I changed shifts looking after my aging dad.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:12 pm

Cool! Do you use any photo manipulation software, or are those images straight from the cow? They look surreal...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:16 pm

Beautifull photos as usuall glasseye. Thanks for sharring! But at any time did you miss "Sunny D" ? :pirate:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:57 pm

Every trick in the book, hambone. The abstract, blurry one of the lake was a several-second exposure while zooming handheld. Some of the rest are HDR, high dynamic range imaging. This hardware/software trick allows the photographer to record a much greater range of contrasts. The waterfront deck is a two-image horizontal stitch.

Thanks, Barb. You guys are my best fans. I only missed Sunny D's charms from afar. SD certainly photographs better than The Asstro, but she's not as good a travel companion. Ten hours a day at the wheel in 28C heat is much more tolerable with AC and decent seats. Also, I listened to TWIT podcasts for most of journey. Sunny D is much too noisy to accommodate that desire.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:21 pm

BEAUTIFUL!

When I first saw that 2nd shot, I had a flash where there was a type of overlay with dolphins below, angels in the sky, sort of like an Escher type lithograph...I could see a surreal version also where the outlines of the mammals and angels blended with a little light refraction behind them making them look illuminated. :flower:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Glasseye -

It looks like your Astro trip was truly 'an adventure' (an inconvenience rightly considered!). :cyclopsani:

Well done.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:38 am

Woulda had more fun in the bus.

neener neener

:geek:

(Amazing pics as always buddy!!)
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:06 am

spiffy wrote:Woulda had more fun in the bus.

neener neener
And even more in a Sprinter :cheers: