My Camping Pics (Silver Falls State Park)

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk

Post by turk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:36 pm

I googled it and I found this. I'm not surprised about South Carolina having the top rated state park. I was there and camped at a few. Rivers Bridge I think it was called. S.C. has absolutely gorgeous country. We commiserated with the locals. They are truly the most hospitable people in America IMHO. I've never been inland too much there. It was mostly coastal. I absolutely loathe the Myrtle Beach area though. Route 17 sucks the big one if you are on a bicycle. Good restaurants though.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stori ... 0004806721

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Nice shots Wayne. Silver Creek is a great park. I went to outdoor school there in 5th and 6th grades. What a blast.

On our recent camping venture, the Ranger caught us as we were packing up to leave to let us know that there actually was a fee to camp overnight, $5. But we didn't have to pay it as someone had ripped the fee envelopes to shreds and tore out the wooden posts the receipts were to be attached to. We did anyway. Someone has to pump out the outhouses.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk

Post by turk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:30 pm

You can camp free almost anywhere if you split early enough. But I don't recommend it. We tried it everywhere we could on the bike trip from New Orleans to New York. We got caught a few times. New Jersey is the worst. Campgrounds are expensive and I don't remember any good ones on the route we were on.

turk

Post by turk » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:58 am

Sorry I "hijacked" your thread IFBwax. I really liked the pic of you and the girls.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:42 am

IFBwax wrote:Let's not forget California.
Sometimes when I meditate I remember the Yosemite Valley I saw as a 6 yr. old child. All those HUGE trees were magical to me! And the hiking, especially near King's Canyon was splendid. It is sad that things have changed over the years, but at least I have my memories.

There are so many beautiful places I've been lucky to see. I love it all, but I gravitate towards coastlines, maybe because I grew up 5 miles from a beach. The Oregon coastline was pretty spectacular to me. And again, if I search my memory, Cali's Half Moon Bay and Monterey used to be the bomb.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:48 am

chitwnvw wrote:
spiffy wrote:... the best state park system...in the country.
How can you state that? Have you stayed at all the parks in every state? Or even multiple parks in every state?

You can say they have a great park system. Maybe even the best park system in the northwest, but your claim in incredulous!
Just go to one, I haven't been to all of them in the country but if you go thru OR and stay at a bunch each one is consistantly top notch. And your right I meant their *system* is the best, just my opinion I know but I have been to enough around the country to know that OR's stands out by a long shot.

Like I said, my opinion but I *highly* suggest you try one if you have the means :king:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

turk

Post by turk » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:58 pm

Which State Parks in Oregon are noteworthy? I might have been to one actually. With hambone Bob. It was on the coast. Cape Lookout I think. We had a "yert". I thought it was pretty cool. It was in March so it was a little cold. My favorite part of Oregon is eastern or central. The Strawberry Mountains. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559148230Xnhsft

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:05 pm

I personally liked Humbug Mountain but the choices are staggering.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"