Heading out part III

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Heading out part III

Post by spiffy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:33 am

Getting ready for a 4 day trip next weekend to go see some hot air balloons take off and eat some slow cooked ears of corn, elephant ears, and other fair type foods. Going out to Walla Walla where hopefully the temps will hit 70*...they did last year and man did that feel nice.

Now we just have to decide what bus to take, the 67's interior setup has been great, more room without the big cabinets and jumpseat but the bed isn't as comfortable. They both get us there about the same speed but the older bus gets better gas mileage....both are fun to drive....the locks work on the 78 which is kind of handy. Either way, it's gonna be fun!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:01 am

would one of those mattress toppers work to make the bed more comfy. When I camp along I throw one on top of mine and it's almost as comfy as my bed at home.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:05 am

IFBwax wrote:would one of those mattress toppers work to make the bed more comfy. When I camp along I throw one on top of mine and it's almost as comfy as my bed at home.
It might, I always heard that the early westy beds were pretty comfy but I have to disagree. The 78's Rivi bed is waaaaaay comfortable and full length to boot. We thought about the mattress toppers but thought that it would take up more room to carry along. Do you find that it hogs up a lot of space when you have the whole family packed in the bus?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:19 am

spiffy wrote:
IFBwax wrote:would one of those mattress toppers work to make the bed more comfy. When I camp along I throw one on top of mine and it's almost as comfy as my bed at home.
It might, I always heard that the early westy beds were pretty comfy but I have to disagree. The 78's Rivi bed is waaaaaay comfortable and full length to boot. We thought about the mattress toppers but thought that it would take up more room to carry along. Do you find that it hogs up a lot of space when you have the whole family packed in the bus?
Yep.. that's why I don't usually take it then. but if you could find an ingenious place to stow it, it should not be that bad with just two people. They used to sell for 99 bucks at Costco, now I found a cheaper source at Bimart. If you have one of those up there.. they are the air foam mattresses or something like that. They are about 3 inches thick and make a HUGE difference.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:49 am

Is the Bimart mattress the same as the costco mattress? The cheapos are not as comfortable. I want to get one like Jasans. I believe it is the 'memory foam' stuff.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:53 am

I think the Bi-mart was memory foam too.. I also bought mine at Costco but saw an ad recently at Bi-mart. YOu might want to double check though.

Frank Bama

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu May 01, 2008 6:20 pm

Gypsie wrote:Is the Bimart mattress the same as the costco mattress? The cheapos are not as comfortable. I want to get one like Jasans. I believe it is the 'memory foam' stuff.
Just wondering, how did you find out Jasan's was so comfy?

I'm just sayin'.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu May 01, 2008 7:33 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
Gypsie wrote:Is the Bimart mattress the same as the costco mattress? The cheapos are not as comfortable. I want to get one like Jasans. I believe it is the 'memory foam' stuff.

I'm just sayin'.

-John
Not that there's anything wrong with it.

:cyclopsani:

Frank Bama

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Thu May 01, 2008 8:42 pm

IFBwax wrote:
LiveonJG wrote:

I'm just sayin'.

-John

What happens in a bus, stays in a bus.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu May 01, 2008 8:44 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
IFBwax wrote:
LiveonJG wrote:

I'm just sayin'.

-John

What happens in a bus, stays in a bus.

-John
Which is why I changed out the foam mattresses last year.

:pale:

Frank Bama

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue May 13, 2008 7:09 pm

All right! We had a great weekend, balloons, bus, beer, wine, open road, ya know just a few of the good things in life :geek:

Friday morning was a beautiful drive down Route 7 and across Route 12 which is becoming one of our favorite drives due to views of Rainier like this:
And I had my party hat on from the get go:

We arrived into Walla Walla after a 7 hour trip (takes 4 in a "regular" car) but we stopped a lot and just enjoyed all the 55 MPH that Bill could muster. We checked into the RV park which is the only option close enough to bike everywhere in Walla and it has hot showers so we don't mind too bad. The bus was the hit of the campground. Anywho we rolled in and it was beer thirty so we hopped on the bikes and cruised down to a local brew pub.....out of IPA :pale: NOOOOOOO!!!! Got some beer anyways and I was tempted not to share:

While hording my beer a few balloons cruised over:

We then carefully negotiated our bikes back to "camp" for those of you who have seen me ride a bike after a few beers you can imagine how carefully I was riding :geek: (luckily there wasn't any yurts to blindside or bystanders to heckle me for two days).

Then it was up and at em for a 0600 launch, a pancake breakfast and a 5K fun run (which felt like dooky BTW, beer + big breakfast= drink water and don't exercise)
We then came back to "camp" stowed the gear and went down to the farmers market and a cruise around town, followed by a nap and then off to the night glow and some fireworks. YEEEEHAW!!!
My beautiful Copilot on her mode of transport for the weekend:

Then came Sunday morning and off to the wineries. Holy crap we had some nice wine, I was surprised.

Then Monday morning we packed up and headed back to the homestead. Cool wind farms out by Walla:

The weather wasn't nearly as nice on the way back so no views of Rainier but we had a great trip and work felt like I was on a different planet today :pukeleft:

:cheers:
Sorry for the huge post :pale:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Tue May 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Love it!!!!!!!

Looks like you guys had a great time. Wish I was there. Can't wait to get out there.

Frank Bama

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue May 13, 2008 7:31 pm

Great photos there. I gotta request though: I wanna see all the stuff on the inside of your ride. Looks cool too!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Tue May 13, 2008 8:51 pm

zblair wrote:Great photos there. I gotta request though: I wanna see all the stuff on the inside of your ride. Looks cool too!
Looks like a nice trip! Great pics! I wanna see all the stuff on the inside of your bus too, like where do you keep all those crock shoes? That must take some room, yo, I'm just sayin'.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri May 16, 2008 8:41 pm

zblair wrote:Great photos there. I gotta request though: I wanna see all the stuff on the inside of your ride. Looks cool too!
It's just an interior out of a 68 westy but all the interior wood panels are original...and one of my favorite parts of the bus. :geek:

Time to get the 78 out on a few trips, this adjust the valves every 3,000 miles thing just ain't cuttin' it.

Just kidding.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"