Washington Campy Trip May 29-31 2008

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun May 25, 2008 7:45 am

John is that authentic spelling or are you being artistic to prove a point? In any case it's damn interesting. Always fascinating to see language shift thru the ages...the Latin buried in Spanish sharing common roots with English. Cool stuff.

Still haven't figured anything out yet for a destination. Worked on trails yesterday on the Clacky, river brown and raging again so a lot of that snow up high is melting but there sure is a lot to go yet.

When is everyone leaving town? Spiff am I meeting you somewhere Thurs PM? I take it you have to work on Thurs.

http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sun May 25, 2008 10:51 am

Bob, there were no correct spellings for English words back then. Every letter in a word tended to be pronounced and spelling varied from sentence to sentence. There are something like 25 rules of pronunciation that I'm trying to get my head wrapped around. So far I've found it much easier to read aloud to understand but I don't think I'm pronouncing things correctly yet. Still, it's much closer to modern English than the old English of Beowulf, and a fun and challenging read too.

We'll be heading out Friday afternoon, no sooner than 6:00 I'd guess.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sun May 25, 2008 7:50 pm

Ay Bob, I have to work thursday but I will have the bus ready to go and I will be on the road by 5 PM at the latest. Maybe canyon creek will be a safe bet and we can make signs for John and Jasan if we have to move a tad....or if we are in cell phone range give em a call. It may take some on the spot figurin out but I don't mind :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun May 25, 2008 9:02 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Spiffie thy confuze earlie modaern englishe az thet wich was uesd by Shakespere with thi earlie midel englesh az thee can sea middel inglish is far moor fluide end is indikative of the language befor the vowle chift of thet ocired betwin 1500 und 1700 middle english allso is fer moor fonetic thaen motern englishe lacking puntuasion end siing a variashon in spelleng eeven ein thi saem sentents.

-John
:drunken: Ataway Jonh :drunken:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue May 27, 2008 9:50 am

Soooooooo

I will be stopping by the Fish Brewery on my way down thursday, any of yous guys want me to pick up anything for you? I will be filling up my growler with IPA....yummy :cheers:

Also, it looks like the Canyon Creek area has become the chosen location.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:52 pm

spiffy wrote: Also, it looks like the Canyon Creek area has become the chosen location.
Directions? Area? GPS coordinates? :joker: Did I miss them earlier?
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Tue May 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Westy78 wrote:
spiffy wrote: Also, it looks like the Canyon Creek area has become the chosen location.
Directions? Area? GPS coordinates? :joker: Did I miss them earlier?
X2
Keep it acoustic.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue May 27, 2008 7:48 pm

Oh yeah!!

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/ca ... reek.shtml

Elevation 1,145 ft
GPS Location Zone 10 561905E 5084N
Lat./Long. Location 45.915978N 122.201753W
Directions To Campground From Chelatchie on Highway 503, travel east on Road 54, right on Road 53, left on 3701, about 1/4 mile turn down the next road to the left. There is no site sign marking the campground entrance. Do not continue up road 3701. It is not maintained. It is narrow and brushy.

Did you guys want anything from the Fish Brewery? I am making a pit stop there on the wasy down, gooooooood beer.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Tue May 27, 2008 8:04 pm

spiffy wrote:Did you guys want anything from the Fish Brewery? I am making a pit stop there on the wasy down, gooooooood beer.
Yes good Spiffy, I would agree with you there. If, and I know it's a BIG IF(big if) but, nonetheless, if they have any Winterfish still hanging around It would make a nice addition to the weekend. I didn't find any this year.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Tue May 27, 2008 8:22 pm

How hard is it to find in the dark? (The campground ya sick bastid!)

-John
Keep it acoustic.

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue May 27, 2008 9:29 pm

You'll find it.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:49 pm

OK, I've found a Rd37 off of 53. Gotta be right there. Looks like hwy503 will be a much better drive instead of going up to Woodland on I-5 and over. I'm guessing only a couple of hours for you and me Bob.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed May 28, 2008 7:34 am

Umkay, a winterfish if they have it for John (I don't remember seeing it the last time I was down there but I will ask). And an IPA for Hammie.

The drive for you PDX guys should be pretty short, can't imagine it would be more then 1.5 hours or so? John gets the long haul award for this one :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed May 28, 2008 8:58 am

I'm hoping I get this Beetle done in time. Yesterday replaced both front wheel cylinders and flex hoses, cleaned the bearings. All I have to do is put it all back together with new shoes and bleed the brakes. I'll try to get it done tonight. None of the FLAPS had shoes in stock, have to go to Halsey to get them or I woulda finished last nite.
All the parts actually came off as intended, can you believe it? Both cylinders were rusty on the inside, but the hoses really didn't look too bad. They can't be original from '68 but they were due for replacement.
I really should replace the rear cylinders too but that can wait!

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed May 28, 2008 9:08 am

Let me know when you do Bob and you can use that torque tool or the 46mm socket that I have to break the torque on the axle nut. I'll be doing this to the 67 next week so hopefully the procedure goes smoothly.

Did you get the TRW (brazilian) cylinders? I have read that work just fine and cost A LOT less then the German units. The cheapest German ones I have seen were $60 a pop :cyclopsani: That would be a $400 brake job if all of them were replaced....at least.

Gonna pack up tonight and bring the bus to work tomorrow, I'll roll out of here around 4PM or so. Should hit the area around 6-ish.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"