All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:01 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
Westy78 wrote:
LiveonJG wrote:
Westy78 wrote:Dammit I miss having my bus running!
:roll:

or

:-({|=

Your call.

-John

OUCH man, just, ouch. I suppose I do deserve it though. :blackeye: Really wishing I had a nice dry garage.
Just a friendly jab Jasan. Nothing more nothing less. No ill intent meant. How's the timetable looking?

-John
Nah, no ill intent taken. All in good fun 'round here. It'll take a lot more to bruise my feelings than that. It does give me a little kick in the arse to get it finished though. It's basically done. Made a little update in my engine build thread today. I just really don't want to go roll around in the wind and rain to install the damn thing. I need the weather gods to give me a little break.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:06 pm

DjEep wrote:I hadn't seen you for a while, steve, had a feeling you'd flown south for the winter :geek: .

I love Sir Francis, we used to drive that road and the ones connecting all the time, just to watch the scenery pass by.
hear'ya. lucas valley road, nicasio valley,, i really want to bring salsa and take oysters down to the lighthouse, wait for my whale, and rest in the sun. one more trip will hold me. i always had the distinct feeling sir francis himself was named after a phenomenal vw bus road. was he into buses? so i'm going for one more rip at it soon. and you at crater, fawque. i'm expecting a snowy january. i wonder if there was big snow on the ground 10-15 clicks toward the pass after oakridge? sunny days are coming up with my name on one of them.

not sure about that penguin thang..

check it out at 5100
http://www.tripcheck.com/popups/Cam.asp ... urRegion=4

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:04 pm

Snowing big time and sticking here in Eugene as I type (pause)...sip...(pause)...savor...(pause) resume. And repeat.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:46 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Snowing big time and sticking here in Eugene as I type (pause)...sip...(pause)...savor...(pause) resume. And repeat.

-John
very cool. i'm paying off a weatherman: i want two sunny days in the foothills. thunder over the mission today. no cracklin' like the humid states, just..

dj did you take photos?

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:48 pm

Went x-c skiing today at Gold Lake, on the way back almost had to chain back up near Dexter. Had near white out conditions between Lowell and I-5, with about 2-3" of fresh snow already on the roads. Ol' bus ate it up though.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:50 pm

skin daddio wrote: dj did you take photos?
Only camera we had was a cell phone. I'll try and get the tiny pics onto the computer.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:27 pm

DjEep wrote:Went x-c skiing today at Gold Lake, on the way back almost had to chain back up near Dexter. Had near white out conditions between Lowell and I-5, with about 2-3" of fresh snow already on the roads. Ol' bus ate it up though.
wow that's pretty low altitude. surely wish i was in two places. good that you get right out in the snow. the folks that aren't are bummin' the grayness, dampness, and general complaining.

i'm betting snow is widely seen in the coast range too. looking forward to the 101-199, always.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:34 am

All you winter campers are pretty tuff, I'm looking forward to the sun and some HEAT out there. My bus is actually takin on a bit of water from the Noah Skies this year. Phleeffpppph. Enuff already RAIN I GET IT OK GEEZ KNOCK IT OFF....
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:39 am

[albumimg]1583[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1584[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1585[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1586[/albumimg]

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:49 am

...a good day to be a dog !

are you playing some sort of snow-golf in that 3rd pic ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:57 am

fore.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:11 am

Tennis ball "Chuck-it" being used to scoop snowballs. :geek:

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:22 am

lookin' good dj. that's undeniable hardy hard-core bus living!

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:37 am

After getting canned, we decided to use our "vacation" time to go back to SF for a few days.

I-5 sucks, so we went over the Cascades Via 58, then down 97 to Weed, CA before hitting 5 again. With a slight detour back to Crater Lake. Watched the sun set from the rim, then camped in the same sno-park as last time. It was another perfectly clear and cold night, with a full moon this time. Wish I was at the rim for the moon rise.

Took a few pics in the morning.
See the Thermometer on the tire?
Yikes! 4 degrees!, and it had been warming up! I'm guessing it was sub-zero again overnight.

When I checked the oil, it was like molasses. I had to stick my propane heater under the transmission, wait a few minutes, then start it with the clutch pedal in. Tried it once cold and in neutral and just got a sick groan from the starter.

Did a few donuts in the sno-park with my head out the side window, to warm her up, then got on the road. First 15 minutes of driving looked like this:
Notice that the TomTom was so cold, the battery wouldn't work.

You midwesters and such might not think that's something, but my Californian butt thinks it is...

Then it got a little better and we snapped these shots:

About ten minutes after these pics, it started snowing, and didn't stop till we hit Redding, about 3 hours/180 miles away. But Geri Lou ate it up. Perfect traction in the cooooolllld snow. 65mph the whole way (GPS, OG speedo said 73). Had to push it to 70mph (80 on the OG) to keep up with the slow lane on I-80 between Sac and SF.

But that beating did take a toll on her. I noticed she is starting to "thrum" from the right rear wheel area when above 50mph, under load. Tells me the CV(s) are in need of immediate attention, methinks.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:48 pm

I remember reading Rachel got the boot, et tu Anthony?

Have a safe trip you two (or three if'n you include the pooch). We should really have a get together of the Eugene clan when you return.

-John
Keep it acoustic.