Put your Camping tips here

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:05 pm

You've written CO where it is actually CO2. Apart from this all is correct about CO2 and propane burning.
When the burner works right, burning propane, butane or a mix produces H2O and CO2 borrowing O2 from the air.
CxH2y + wO2 -> xCO2 + yH2O. Where w=x+y/2.
A bad burner might produce CO that is a deadly no smell gaz.
An OK burner produces CO2 whitch is not harmfull ( breathing does ) but it borrows Oxygene that can be an issue in a closed envented room.
1974 stock US Westy 1800cc PDSIT 34 2-3.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:07 pm

Thanks, chemists. :cheers:

It makes sense that it would produce CO2, which I could live with in limited use. Water production makes sense, too. But CO, man, that's baaaad.

Frito is a large interior space and it's not going to be easy to heat. A diesel-fired heater is $1500 plus a pretty big install. A Little Buddy might do the trick for those cold mornings when it's WAY better to just stay in bed. :cherry:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:26 pm

I've got a Coleman Pro Cat.

It produces good heat and I've run it through the night on occasion.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:59 pm

I use an electric ceramic heater with a fan and thermostat. Just used it last night too, and did a big no-no when a blanket rolled off the bed and onto the heater. However, it sensed this and shut down, and good thing otherwise I might have been a cooked kitty.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:46 pm

Sylvester wrote:I use an electric ceramic heater with a fan and thermostat. Just used it last night too, and did a big no-no when a blanket rolled off the bed and onto the heater. However, it sensed this and shut down, and good thing otherwise I might have been a cooked kitty.
I've got a small electric ceramic but the Nehalem Wetwesties event is about the only time I have hookups.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:16 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
Sylvester wrote:I use an electric ceramic heater with a fan and thermostat. Just used it last night too, and did a big no-no when a blanket rolled off the bed and onto the heater. However, it sensed this and shut down, and good thing otherwise I might have been a cooked kitty.
I've got a small electric ceramic but the Nehalem Wetwesties event is about the only time I have hookups.

-John
Fans bug me. Unless they're fans of ME. Then, I enjoy them :geek:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:16 pm

Camp more. That's THE most useful camping tip I have.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:18 pm

Hey Mark where did you get that ammo box for your lanterns? What size box is it?

-John
Keep it acoustic.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:40 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Hey Mark where did you get that ammo box for your lanterns? What size box is it?

-John
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/pro ... d-4394.cfm

I've bought a bunch of stuff from these guys...they have those k-as$ shovels and big bow saws...have at it! Their small medical box is killer...dry box that holds a ton of stuff...31x19x12 or something.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am

deschutestrout wrote:Fans bug me. Unless they're fans of ME. Then, I enjoy them :geek:
=D> :cheers: Best line this week!

Oh. Wait. It's Monday. :cyclopsani:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

mylopolis
I'm New!

Post by mylopolis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:12 pm

My camping tidbit, and you'll probably all call me scrooge!

I hate buying those damn tiny mayo bottles or carting around a huge bottle of ketchup, and dislike even worse paying higher for the smaller bottles.

So I just snag extra packets at the grocery store deli counter or a fast food restaurant. Keep a stash of mayo, mustard, ketchup, etc. in a tupperware case in my spice rack.

Disposable, effective, and affordable :) And yes, I'm a cheap@$$!
'73 Dual Solex Campmobile

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:03 am

Good tip on the little condiment packets. I always save those things, but my girlfriend just throws them out.
I guess that's what happens when a cheap guy dates a girl who doesn't like clutter. :bom:
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:26 am

Me 3. Anything you can grab is up for grabs.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:29 am

yondermtn wrote:Good tip on the little condiment packets. I always save those things, but my girlfriend just throws them out.
I guess that's what happens when a cheap guy dates a girl who doesn't like clutter. :bom:
Good tip,
I had many that stayed for decades in places like my Westy cabinet drawer, together with dead batteries and other such valuables.

Tips
I replace heavy glass jars by strong thin palastic jars.
Some screw lid jars are interesting.

Some plumbing caustic soda plastic cans are excellent with a very good srcew on lid.
The above tip I got from a Canuck carrying apricot jam in such a can.
Recovering strings in the woods, another scrooge hobby when wind bound on shore, when I told him I use to keep a large supply, he said he had three large boxes full in his basement.
1974 stock US Westy 1800cc PDSIT 34 2-3.

JLT
Old School!

How I know how much water is in my Westie tank

Post by JLT » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:14 pm

This one is for those who have the late 60's/early 70's Westfalia icebox with sink. Those with other tanks will have to do their own research.

I always wondered how much water was in the tank, so one day I drained it completely and added water in gallon increments, marking each level on a wooden dipstick. The dipstick is about 28" long 1" wide, and maybe 1/4" thick, and is made of a wood that shows clearly which part is wet and which is dry. (Mine is made of a piece of scrap mahogany, but other woods open-pore woods like walnut would probably work).

Find a nail that's longer than the filler opening is wide. A half an inch or so from one end, drill a hole in the dipstick the same diameter as the nail, and insert the nail. From the hole, measure out and label the following distances:

8 gal -- 2"
7 gal -- 9 5/8"
6 gal -- 12 7/8"
5 gal -- 16"
4 gal -- 19 1/4"
3 gal -- 22 1/8"
2 gal -- 25 1/4"

To use it, just push it into the tank until the nail makes contact with the filler. The water level is easily read by noting where the dry area ends and the wet area starts.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"